Sign in to follow this  
CSG

Digia Hard Drive replacement

I have a 4 channel Digia with 160gb drive that won't boot. As a matter of fact the only thing that happens is the red power light comes on , nothing else. I beleive the HD dies. Are the drives replaceable or does this need to go back to GE?

I have a 4 channel Digia with 160gb drive that won't boot. As a matter of fact the only thing that happens is the red power light comes on , nothing else. I beleive the HD dies. Are the drives replaceable or does this need to go back to GE?

CSG, if the product is still under warranty, I will suggest to send it back for warranty repair...

Digia is 100% embedded system, well, it least on paper... They still use certain features on the hard drive (not on the flash) using Windows FAT format, that if the hard drive fails, then you have to reinstall it..

If you are sure that the hard drive is dead, then you are in luck... You can increase the internal hard drive capacity up to 1,000GB or 1TB by using two 500GB PATA drives (we mainly use Seagate "Surveillance" grade drives) and it works perfectly... Dependent how you program this DVR, you can have very high quality (MPEG4) video stored my longer periods of time than its native storage could provide.

You also need to know that portion of the hard drive contains export software that you have to install manually... After you have done the conversion to higher capacity (or the same storage capacity), then you can call GE Technical Support and they "should" give you "how to" reinstall this feature on the hard drive... and if not, we can help you to geit it.

Thats a good point, I'll have to check the warranty on this unit, its a few years old though. If it's under warranty theres no point in taking my time to fix.

If its out of warranty, and a simple hard-drive swap will fix it, I'll do that. Otherwise it will be back to GE for an RMA. I don't have the time for a many stepped procedure on replacing the OS, if its on the drive. Of course using a larger drive would be nice (it's a single Seagate 160gb) the customer stated he is satisfied with the recording capacity as is.

It seems the unit is out of warranty. The DVR boots but it says "HDD INSTALLATION FAILURE".

Does anyone know the procedure to replace the drive?