Avermedia Versus Geovision, my personal review.....

We have been installing Geovision for years and like it very much but recently I ordered and tested out an Avermedia Software compression card and though I would share my thoughts. I am just going to list all the pros that i found with each system. The only thing not taken into account was frame rate because software, clarity and features are the same for all software.

Geovision Pros

- Video Quality slightly higher in my opinion, but very close

- Much better playback system for quickly gettign to times. I like the preview still shot when you click a time in the viewlog.

- Auto AGC is a nice feature for video controls

- More "cool" features like facial recognition, missing object, etc...

- Cleaner main screen layout for people with limited pc or computer knowledge imo.

- Multivew and main system can fit wide screen monitors better and have more resolution choices.

- Multiview is better laid out then avers basic remote software

- Object search is great

- 10 Camera view

- Smart record feature really helps on ebtry level cards.

Avermedia Pros

- Compact mode is nice for live viewing

- Intelligent search still works ok

- Remote Console is great

- The zoom in feature on the playback is like on CSI, where you draw a box and it zooms in, which is "cool". Too bad when you zoom in 50 times, it doesn't just become instantly cleared up , even after the fact like on TV .

- I liked the quick access to playback or the main system by the button in the bottom right corner.

- You can move camera placement around in the live view.

All in all I like the card and the software and look forward to getting the 32 Channel-960 fps in D1 system up and running! I'll see if I can get some screen caps when it's done!

You missed a main pro for Geo, they have an SDK, Aver doesnt. Probably one of the reasons if not the main one, I dont use Aver.

Also, as for the zoom in feature, even DigiFlower has that. You can do the same with Geo, you just have to use the + and - instead.

Good point Rory. Some of the applications you guys write are great.

One very major pro for Avermedia I forgot was Megapixel IP camera support! Meanwhile geo is talking about dongle crap. I see geo has also released it's own IP camera.

One very major pro for Avermedia I forgot was Megapixel IP camera support! Meanwhile geo is talking about dongle crap.

Try the little box and zoom on that! Much more CSI like.

Yes, I'm looking forward to trying out some megapixel cams soons. Collinr, is there a good MPIP model you'd recommend testing out? Few of the loal suppliers carry the MP cams and the ones that do (Burtek) are very expensive.

great starter is a Axis 207MW, and the one I like the most is the Arecont 3130 agumented with IR at night. Nice thing about the 3130 is POE and the ability to place in an outdoor housing.

Rory: AVer does have SDKs. They have had the SDK out for very very long time. I got the first AVer SDK via CCTVMegaStore almost 2 years ago. You should try out one of the AVerMedia DVR and you will be surprise... I have used both Geo and AVer and there is a clear difference.

Edited by Guest

Rory: AVer does have SDKs. They have had the SDK out for very very long time. I got the first AVer SDK via CCTVMegaStore almost 2 years ago. You should try out one of the AVerMedia DVR and you will be surprise... I used both Geo and AVer and there is a clear difference.

I asked their support and they told me otherwise.

I will look into it again, thanks.

I think for people who are comfortable with computers and softwares and who look to integrate more external equipment with better control, Geovision is great. But since my clients are not that tech people, I prefer to use AverMedia. The GUI is very beautiful. I get much less support calls from AverMedia customers.

The latest geo supports the zoom function you describe, both pip and pap mode.

Pip mode allows one box, that you move around on a small picture in picture copy of the image, and it zooms in on that box area in the main screen.

(keep in mind the examples are just examples made up quickly, with a standard camera, it would I assume be much better with a megapixel cam....)

Example (both examples from control center)

75619_1.jpg

pap mode allows multiple boxes to be set, so you can have zoomed in areas for multiple areas on a image, ideal for megapixel cams...

Example..

75619_2.jpg

Its nice, just wish I had a megapixel cam to play with...

Do you need a dongle for support of IP cams?

It would be nice if you could try say one IP cam without a dongle, so you can get the feel of what is possible, then splash out if you decide to go further down that route...