zboyblue

I need some advise on a DVR

Hi,

First of all, I am new to the forum. : ) I am posting because we are moving into a new building next week and are having a video security system installed. We have all the details worked out for the system we want except for the DVR. Some of the options I have been given are EverFocus, Speco, and Micros. From what I have read on here Everfocus blows .. and after looking at their online Demo I tend to agree. Micros seems WAY high in the way of price. Speco seemed to be the way to go but I am reading a lot of bad things on this forum about them.

Forgive me for my simple mindedness but I need someone to give me 1-2 options that fit what I am looking for. Any more than that and I will be lost. I am CRAZY busy preparing for this huge move so I really just need to pick something and move on. : )

Here are the things that seem most important to me. I dont know MUCH about this stuff but from what I have read it seems like these are key features for me:

- 8+ Camera system. We will have 5 cameras to start and the installer recommends a 16 camera system in case I need it in the future.

- Good Record quality. I am not sure what all the options are but I want any footage that is recorded to be as real looking as possible and not all choppy.

- GOOD remote viewing ability. That is PRIMARILY what we will be doing with it. We will be watching from the LAN throughout the day to see what people in the warehouse are doing and also from home from time to time.

- Lots of storage. I would like several weeks or more of storage. 600 gigs or more would be good, 1TB or more better.

- Budget is about $2000 but I am flexible if there is something that is perfect for a little more.

Let me know and thanks!

check out the Nuvico line at directlvs or the nuvico website, have installed several of the nvdv-4 series and they come in sizes up to 1.2 TB, hope this helps.

Here are few options for you:

1. American Dynamics 9 channel EDVR series ADEDVR009064 - 640GB internal storage, CD burner and excellent playback picture quality. Here are some of the specs:

* American Dynamics 9 Channel EDVR With CD burner and 640GB internal storage

* Full triplex operation allows simultaneous live or playback viewing and recording operations

* Available in 4, 9 & 16 channel desktop or rack mountable configurations with 2 audio channels

* Embedded proprietary operating system ensures high reliability

* Intuitive front panel provides easy control and management

* Remotely manage your system with the client software or a web browser

* Records up to 60 ips (720 x 240) NTSC/50 ips (720 x 288) PAL and uses Motion JPEG (MJPEG) compression

* Powerful search capabilities, including first-in-its-class thumbnail searches, make it easy to find the right video clip

* Supports adjustable motion detection and covert cameras for enhanced security

* Unalterable digital signatures of recorded video ensure authenticity

* Pre-alarm image recording puts your video clips in context

* Effectively manage video storage with adjustable camera settings, duration settings, and four hard drive configurations

* User selectable NTSC and PAL video output

2. CBC 9 channel DVR - ZR-DH921NP-1TB - 1TB internal storage... with the some of the following specs:

* CBC (9) channel video input DVR, 1TB internal storage

* Built in PTZ control compatible with major supplier models

* 120 IPS (images per second)

* External Storage via Firewire (Records via CD-RW & External HDD up to 20 x 250GB)

* Triplex (Playback/Record/Live View simultaneously)

* Networking (full remote control over network using client software or web browser)

* Firmware and PTZ drivers upgradeable via website or USB device

* Front panel USB port enables easy archiving of data via USB storage device

* Event/alarm/video loss notification sent via e-mail.

3. CBC 16 channel DR16NC-750 - with 750GB internal storage and CD burner... This model also comes with Remote Control using IR... basically you can do all your programming from this remote control.. Here are some of its specs:

* CBC 16 Channel DVR With CD burner and 750GB internal storage

* 4 Channel Audio recording

* 120 IPS recording speed

* True Triplex operation

* Up to 704 x 480 (4 CIF/D1) Resolution

* Optimized MPEG-4 compression

* 10/100 Base Network Connection allows remote viewing, playback and PTZ control

* USB-2 Port for quick downloading to a thumb drive

* PTZ control (drivers for most popular models included)

* DDNS support for use with dynamic IP addresses

* Server grade continuous duty hard disk drives optimize performance and improve reliability

All these above DVR are what is called EMBEDDED systems (No Microsoft or Linux OS based) and all their functionality is built into flash memory, so the hard drives are for recording video only. They will meet your budget (in case of American Dynamics, will be much lower).. and all of them will come with full 3 years warranty!

Hope this help...

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

What do you both have to say about the options that each other posted? Any cross experience with them?

CCTV_Suppliers, Which of those do you REALLY recommend? What would you install for yourself?

Also, where is the best place to buy units like these? Is there a demo online at all?

Thanks!

Have not used any of the DVR's listed, so have no opinion on them. American Dynamics tech support is another matter, but if ya have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

What do you both have to say about the options that each other posted? Any cross experience with them?

CCTV_Suppliers, Which of those do you REALLY recommend? What would you install for yourself?

Also, where is the best place to buy units like these? Is there a demo online at all?

Thanks!

Hey bud, the order of my choices are the same as I described above... The live and the playback picture qualify on American Dynamics equipment is better.. even though its hard drive is maxed to 640GB at the factory... If necessary, all the DVRs that I recommended could have much higher drive capacities... I personally added hard drives up to 2TB in case of CBC equipment and up to 1.5 TB in case of American Dynamics EDVR model...

As for the warranty, nothing changes.. as long as you keep the original drives, if anything else goes bad.. They are very simple to install, program and to manage.

RickA, I know what you are referring to as for American Dynamics technical support... That was at least a year ago when the entire technical support was dismantled from Florida and moved to Canada, but they improved substantially lately... If you have any problems, let me know and I can put you in touch with the right technical support channel... We do not use them much.. but lately with their MegaPower 3200 matrix switch and with newer software to program the same matrix, we talked to them and their support was very good, coupled that they also brought their level 3 engineers... Their level of supporting customer has improved substantially..

All of these DVRs are available in the market... Just select the right channel to purchase and make sure that they do give you the support... and do not accept anything less than 3 years warranty on all of the models..

If you need any help, please PM... and good luck!

I cannot do PM yet apparently. Please send me prices if you can supply them. So you have installed these several time and they are your favorite?

What do you think of Speco or EverFocus?

I cannot do PM yet apparently. Please send me prices if you can supply them. So you have installed these several time and they are your favorite?

What do you think of Speco or EverFocus?

We install quite of few of them... They all are very easy to install and to manage... All of them are Embedded systems, thus are not exposed to PC based or OS based systems inherent known problems...

For the price range and performance, yes, these are my favorites.. There are other models that are more expensive and better performers, but we look at the application, the price ramifications and recommend the best solution available from our wagon of major manufacturers solutions...

Sorry, I have no experience on either Speco nor EverFocus.. We only work with first tier product lines.. Chances are Speco and EverFocus could be good products... Just make sure that you do not settle for less than 3 years warranty regardless who says what... Also ask the members of this forum for their experience with both of these manufacturers...

Since number of your posts are low, I am not sure how else I can contact you.. Please ask Rory or a different moderator on how to put you in touch with me or with anyone else in this forum...

Sorry my friend.. forum rules.

why not get a better unit like a ge dvrme which is usa built. it costs more new than the others but it gets you a better picture both live and for remote view. hook up an archiving dvse and you can add 2 tb to the system for months of recordings. new these units are costly but you can any day of the week get a used one off ebay (be carefull and buy from 100%positive feedback sellers) for a fraction of the new price. buy only from those who guarantee the unit is working properly. hell, i just got a dvrme pro 10 channel cdrw 320 gb for 1/3rd the wholesale price. get back on ebay find 2/ 320gb drives and you got a 640 gb unit for another $175.00

why not get a better unit like a ge dvrme which is usa built. it costs more new than the others but it gets you a better picture both live and for remote view. hook up an archiving dvse and you can add 2 tb to the system for months of recordings. new these units are costly but you can any day of the week get a used one off ebay (be carefull and buy from 100%positive feedback sellers) for a fraction of the new price. buy only from those who guarantee the unit is working properly. hell, i just got a dvrme pro 10 channel cdrw 320 gb for 1/3rd the wholesale price. get back on ebay find 2/ 320gb drives and you got a 640 gb unit for another $175.00

Great options bud... but we, the dealers or the distributors, can not compete with what you buy from ebay... If zboyblue wants, why don't you help him to find one of these GE systems... and they are great systems for sure...

When zboyblue stated his budget, GE model that you are referring to could not fall into that price range.. unless of course you find it in ebay...

If you are so confident of your purchase, why don't you make zboyblue an offer to sell this GE model?...

Great options bud... but we, the dealers or the distributors, can not compete with what you buy from ebay... If zboyblue wants, why don't you help him to find one of these GE systems... and they are great systems for sure...

When zboyblue stated his budget, GE model that you are referring to could not fall into that price range.. unless of course you find it in ebay...

If you are so confident of your purchase, why don't you make zboyblue an offer to sell this GE model?...

probably because i want it for myself.... sorry to ruffel your feathers. i dont have any vested interest in my advise ... i am not trying to sell anything just offered some help.