Sign in to follow this  
blake carstensen

DVR survallience

Hello guys, I'm trying to set up a parimeter view of our property using unfortunatly low priced goods, however having no experience with this stuff I do not know if I am getting what i pay for or not. Right now I purchased a camara and the DVR capture card with 4 camara hook ups from Axtronix. I found that the DVR card is manufactured by a company called "Wave", and suspect the software which came along with this is too, because of the poor english. since I was new to the field, I purchased a fairly cheap DVR card at 30.00 dollars US. which came with the software. The camara was a Ebay kind of deal, much like the rest of the stuff, and was 50 dollars. I find that my screen having the view of 4 camara's when the system is at idle, shows good quality, now when I zoom in to one specific camara, the image is quite blocky. I dont know if this is what i should expect or not?

it seems Geovision has a good reputation on here. And I'm asking for input if you feel that purchasing a Geovision DVR card would be worth it? I have no idea on cost for these.

what is in directly relation to image quality?

I would assume that all parts of the system are, but i would expect the DVR being the part which will give a good or bad quality of picture.

this is an image of the dvr player using the following camara which I purchased off ebay. Seems to be better quality than the other more expensive of the two camaras which I purchased. I dont like this one because of the narrow viewing angle which is zoomed in quite a bit, but it seems to be good for identification purposes.

see link for camara information:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330164736003&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=014

3.JPG.7e141f0ff436e7ce5db6fb2174030f4c.JPG

the following is an image captured with the Axtronix video camara. Its nice because it gives a broad view of the front of our location, but unfortunatly because of the DVR software I can only select a box for motion detection rather than being able to manipulate shapes to go around vehicles etc. I want to do this rather than selecting the whole screen because there is a busy road in the front of the property, at night time the glare from the headlights on the vehicles and or wet pavement sets the alarm for the DVR off. I'm wanting to find software which I can manipulate properly so that I can have this whole system configured so that I will be woken up when any motion is properly detected.

here is the link to the camara:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280160182712&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

i think you buy the soft card, not the hard card. and the soft card is compressed by CPU, if you plug many cards, it will need high CPU.

the high card is compressed by chip with card, and use lower CPU, and high quality, some hard cards can support real time D1.

To address the blockiness, you may want to see what resolution the card/software is set to. A lower resolution setting will get pixelized and blocky when enlarged. Set it to the highest setting, but this will also reduce retention time.

I have a Geovision 800-4 and I have it on the highest resolution setting and I still get some blockiness. Not a whole lot, and it depends on the image you want to see.

From the pix you posted, the software looks like a Wave-p card. It is a software based card. They can give you a preview at a higher resolution than what is recorded. It records at 320x200 or something like that. so when you look at it , enlarged, say at 640 x 480, you are seeing the artifacts that come with digital imagery . I did speak with Wave-p and they alluded to working on a software based encoding with d1 quality. Hope this helps you.

Regards.................Mark

Thanks mark, I believe infact that it is a Wave-P card as well since I saw that under my hardware list which has been installed on my computer. Anyone know of any DVR software packages which work with this card? I find that the software supplied is improper for motion detection.

Thanks,

Blake

What can you expect at a 30$ card?You should learn to look out for the price/performance ratio when you buy a product.This card really sucks, period.