briarwood

PC Based DVR IP Camera system for office building

I'm going to setup a system for our office building and I was hoping I could get some input/advice.

I'm going to build a the PC based DVR and initially attach 3 PTZ cameras and 4 stationary cameras, all outdoor. Once that is sorted out we will be adding 16 additional cameras to the system. We have an older analog system in place now that will be replaced and sold off to subsidize the cost of the new system.

Here's the PC.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

3 GB total RAM, 2 GB dual channel kit and a 1 GB stick

Intel BOXD975XBX2KR Motherboard

WD 160 GB SATA 3 HD to run Windows XP Pro and Avermedia software

3 WD 500 GB SATA 3 HD drives in a RAID 1

Sapphire Radeon X1650 Pro video Card

Hipro 700 Watt power supply

Chenming Full Tower Case

DVD-/+RW optical drive

floppy, flash card reader

The complex is large so I'm going to place the switch centrally and connect it to the router from there. The span between each point (camera to switch, switch to router) will be roughly 175', short of the 300' limit.

The router is a SonicWall TZ170 and I think I'm going to go with a NETGEAR GS748TP switch. It's nearly $1,400 though. Any suggestions for a good quality PoE 48 port switch costing less would be welcomed.

The cameras are Axis 214 PTZ's and Axis 211's. Any suggestions on DVR software?

Any comments and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nothing is set in stone yet so please feel free to be critical.

Take a look at Milestone Professional software.

Do you really need 48 ports POE? Take a look at the Netgear FS726TP. It has 24 10/100 ports and Gig uplink for around $300.

Check out AVerMedia's DVRs. They support CCTV Analog, IP, IP PTZ and MegaPixel camera including Axis, Vivotek, etc. They have it in 4 - 32 port DVR cards as well as system. I think for your applicaton AVerMedia is only one I can think of which will work great. Anyone reading please post if you think any other companies makes a DVR Card or system that will do everything listed above. I am very happy with AVerMedia products but I like to see what are the other options just incase.