moe

GE, Bosch, Panasonic DVRs and Macintosh Compatibility

Does anyone know if any of these makes of DVR's have problems with remote viewing through a Mac web browser, such as Safari? I know Mac won't do ActiveX.

I know Everfocus works fine on Macintosh, but want to upgrade and it must work with Safari or Firefox on a Mac.

Thanks

GE wont, uses ActiveX or installed EXE. Dont know about the rest.

There are ways around it though, but not easy as still depends on the DVR.

An idea though, if the DVR Network software allows you to save snapshots of live images, you could load that on a separate PC on the DVR's local network, then install IIS to run a web server on that same PC, and using something like ASP, etc, along with Javascript, you could create a default web page that would show images from the cameras which had been captured using the DVR's Snapshot function.

You would either need a program that clicks the snapshot buttons on the DVR Network software, or if they provide an activeX you could dump that into a VB program then do that within the program.

With Firefox you could also add the IE plugin and use it for the dvr connection.

Wouldn't that kill the whole FireFox being more secure than IE idea ..

With Firefox you could also add the IE plugin and use it for the dvr connection.

Thanks, I've tried that IE plugin for various DVR demos online and it doesn't work.

GE wont, uses ActiveX or installed EXE. Dont know about the rest.

There are ways around it though, but not easy as still depends on the DVR.

An idea though, if the DVR Network software allows you to save snapshots of live images, you could load that on a separate PC on the DVR's local network, then install IIS to run a web server on that same PC, and using something like ASP, etc, along with Javascript, you could create a default web page that would show images from the cameras which had been captured using the DVR's Snapshot function.

You would either need a program that clicks the snapshot buttons on the DVR Network software, or if they provide an activeX you could dump that into a VB program then do that within the program.

Thanks, but this sounds awfully sloppy and too much work.

Too much work, perhaps. Far from sloppy if done properly (no more than the DVR's own software anyway). Would be nice if it was already done though. But if it is not, then that was just to show there are ways around it.

Too much work, perhaps. Far from sloppy if done properly (no more than the DVR's own software anyway). Would be nice if it was already done though. But if it is not, then that was just to show there are ways around it.

Sorry, I didn't meant to sound condescending. I understand and thanks for your insight, Rory.

Since you seem to be big on the GE / Kalatel model DVRs (from what I read), would you know of an ip that GE puts out for a live demo? I would love to see the interface. I found http://67.92.108.120 , but that doesn't seem to be up. I'm still debating between a Panasonic WJ-HD316A and a GE DVMRe-16CT.

Thanks

no problem, nope no demos that I know of. I had some in the field but dont admin them anymore, and switched out others that are online to Geo's (PC Based). Went PC based for less downtime in the case of hardware failures, along with better evidence sharing features.

The few Everfocus DVR's I've used use Java applets for web browsing, but it wasn't that great (did not allow you to save or export easily from the web browser), and the installed software was for Windows.