BWSmith

Aver NV7000H - Does it need a quadcore CPU?

Home install, 4 CCTV, 2-3 IP cameras.

Since this card does it's encoding on the board, does it really benefit much with a quad core. I have spec'd a Q6600, but I'm wondering if I can save some money with a Dual Core?

Any thoughts?

If you are going with IP cams, the IP cam does the compression at the cameras, plus the 7000 is hardware compression, so it doesn't use very much CPU. I definitley think you could use a Dual Core or Core2Duo processor. And 2 or 3 cams isn't much at all. Save your $$$.

Home install, 4 CCTV, 2-3 IP cameras.

Thanks for the reply but I am also hooking up an existing network of 4 regular CCTV's, plus 2-3 IP cameras.

I'm still leaning towards the Core2Duo processor line.

Thanks.

go with the dual core ... 6750 or 6850. 6750 is much faster than the previous 6700, and relatively inexpensive now.

That 6600 may have 4 cores but the CPU will only be running at 1600Mhz by default.

Also, use DDR2-800 at the least, unless you are on a strict budget.

If you are on a strict budget, then 2GB DDR2-667 and the Core 2 E4500.

I had the 6750 down to 20-25 degrees celcius on the last system I built, without an Extra CPU funnel fan .. huge diff from the "older" 6700.

Best is to get a ATX mobo also so you can disable the CPU's SpeedStep feature, which lowers the speed depending on load - that slows the system down. I found the MAtx boards dont actually disable it regardless of what the bios says and from a couple different brands, only one did but had to overclock for that.

As to the actual DVR card mentioned, cant say as never used it.