Network Infrastructure for 16 IP Cameras?

We are looking at doing more IP camera installs and I wanted to know what type of Infrastructure is necessary for 16 Megapixel IP cameras? If we run new Cat5 To each Camera and then wire them all back to a 24 Port switch, into which the NVR will be plugged in, should we be ok? I hear a lot about bandwidth issues and I'd like to know how to avoide them.

Also, is there any advantage to NOT using POE or is it the way to go?

Thanks.

There are several things that affect the system network bandwidth, most importantly these are the physical sizes of the images from each of the cameras and the frame rate settings, and the compression method, i.e. MPEG4, or Motion JPEG etc.

Another matter worth consideration is how many users are likely to want to view the cameras simultaneously over the network.

It is best to consider an NVR with dueal ethernet ports such as the Wavestore (details are available on our website - follow the Wavestore digital recorders tab), where you can keep the high bandwidth camera network traffic separated from the site network, which always pleases the IT and finance managers.

Regarding POE, this offers a very convenient method of installation, but you should consider the performance of the camera itself as your first priority, and if your favoured camera has POE, then all the better.

One thing to bear in mind though, is that POE cannot power the heater in an external housing, so for these locations external power will be required anyway.

There is a megapixel cameras resolution and specification comparison table on our website, where you can access all of the datasheets also.

Hope this helps.

PoE, PoE, PoE!!! Also, make sure that your switch has GB ports for the backbone. 10/100 out to the cams, 1GB on to the NVR. Add 600TB for 3 days of storage (just kidding) and you've got an awesome system!

And, check out Axis' website also. I find their site to be very informative when it comes to network video.

http://www.axis.com/solutions/index.htm

PoE, PoE, PoE!!! Also, make sure that your switch has GB ports for the backbone. 10/100 out to the cams, 1GB on to the NVR. Add

Do u mind to share which "PoE" switch do u use ?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------

just found one

D-Link DES-3010PA

Managed 8-Port 10/100 PoE Switch +1 Gigabit Port +1SFP Port

For Gigabit, I was always under the impression that you neeed to use Cat6 cable or Gigabit will not work, and that it will NOT work with standard Cat5e cable. Is this true?

In my personal experience I don't see any issue with doing it that way. If you have a bandwidth issue just have it cables in preparation (cat 6) so it's easy to switch...however probably won't need to worry about it. Don't even need the dual ethernet IMO.

PoE whenever possible. Also depending on climate, don't assume you need a heater/blower. I know from S. Florida to NC to Texas there is no need as climates won't hurt the camera....based on having Axis cams in those locations for years.