Thomas

S/N Ratio

I'm trying to make sure I understand this concept. When looking at the s/n ratio (as expressed in Db) the higher the number is, the better the camera is?

Correct,

The only problem with comparing specs, is that we don't know exactly what the conditions were, when the cameras were tested.

So comparing like for like can be a bit hit and miss. Some manufacturers, particularly the reputable ones, are more accurate (or should that be less creative) than others.

S/N as a guide, fine; written in stone, I'd rather pass.

I've noticed that manufacture's specs are pretty vauge. A number I've seen will list horizontal lines and others will list vertical lines.

S/N is a measurement of a ratio between the electrical video signal and the "background" noise.

The bigger the better.

You can also try to do not add more noise to your system, by choosing a good coaxial cable, good connectors and good installation practices, such a not sharp bends and not running cables close to power electrical cables that supply voltage to machines, tools or motors.

S/N is an exponential number, that means that an increase of, let say 3dB may mean DOUBLE resistance to "backgroud" electronic noise. A camera with 50dB should be far better than a camera with 47dB

Regards

Thomas

Don't get confused between horizontal lines and vertical lines. All cameras and monitors use 625 horizontal lines - UK PAL system. NTSC of course different but the principle isthe same

The resolution of a camera/monitor defines how often the signal can change in one line. A 480 lines camera will diaplay a change of 480 items across that line.

If you looked at the vertical bars of a jail door and there were 480 bars across and the camera image just captured the door you would need a 480 line camera to display all the bars.