serial

Help with a DVR

I recently visited a customer that had someone install a PDVR-8300, 8 channel DVR. I did manage to track down a manual... but it doesn't give me much more than beginner info.

This looks like a pos but anyways I'm trying to fix it for him. When I was onsite I noticed it was beeping a lot and then after rebooting it would not boot up (sticks on the boot splash screen). It won't go any further.

Is it safe to assume that if it won't boot further that it would be a hard drive issue? Is the OS on a chip or on the HD? The customer had no manual and no software.

I don't have much info on this but anyways... any help you can provide would help!

Thanks

You need to count the beeps, they will tell you if it is RAM or HDD or display or whatever. It could be the keyboard isn't plugged in.

These are standard PC diagnostics, google will help.

There is no beeping now, it won't boot... only as far as the boot screen and no google hasn't helped. That is the first thing one tries isn't it?

I'm pretty sure this is an embedded system DVR.

Have you checked the power supply voltages?

Have you tried sawpping out the hard drive? (Any new or used IDE 7200 rpm HD should work) you may have to format it using the machines menu.

On this type DVR it is usually the PS or HD. I have run into a few stand-alone machines that the processer has been shot and they seem to boot ok momentarily then just keep re-booting and freeze up. (I hope thats not the case as there seems to be little support for these machines)

The PVDR-8300 is made by Human Security Inc. of Korea

www dot human-security dot com

(Replace the dots with periods)

I hope this is of help to you.

I'm pretty sure this is an embedded system DVR.

Have you checked the power supply voltages?

Have you tried sawpping out the hard drive? (Any new or used IDE 7200 rpm HD should work) you may have to format it using the machines menu.

On this type DVR it is usually the PS or HD. I have run into a few stand-alone machines that the processer has been shot and they seem to boot ok momentarily then just keep re-booting and freeze up. (I hope thats not the case as there seems to be little support for these machines)

The PVDR-8300 is made by Human Security Inc. of Korea

www dot human-security dot com

(Replace the dots with periods)

I hope this is of help to you.

Thanks for the info Mr.

It's a complete pile of crap for a DVR... never seen anything this bad. It is a standalone and I have tried another hard drive, two actually. I guess it could be the ram but I've worked on a lot of PCs in my day and rarely has a stick a ram gone bad without dirty power. The AC adapter is fine... I wondered where the OS is on this thing... since it's embedded one would assume it's on the board but I wonder if it's possible that its on the HD. I dunno... I think the outcome will be a replacement DVR not of the PDVR kinds:)