shep3470

embedded windows

What does it mean when windows is embedded in the DVR? Is windows on a chip like VPON or what? I don't really understand this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Embedded XP in the DVR means that the XP Operating system resides on board flash memory... thus does not require any updates or upgrades unless the manufacturer has a very specific reasons...

Normally this type of setups use stripped down version of XP for performance. Hard drives manly are used to store video...

Same technique applies to Linux or other OS based embedded systems...

These type of DVRs are much more stable and very easy to use, but do not come with all the bell and the whistles that regular PC based systems are known for... and besides, they also provide one of the most cost effective DVR options in the market...

There are many to choose from in this category going from single position to 16 position DVRs..

Don't know if I would call it more stable, it's still XP, same as if you were to strip down XP Pro. Stability would still depend on the DVR Software and Drivers. Would be considered more secure if it doesn't allow writing to it. Embedded XP normally costs alot more than your typical XP Home/Pro CD also.

You can embed XP Pro on a DOM if you like or compact flash. You can also install XPe (the microsoft product) on them plus conventional hard drives.

Don't know if I would call it more stable, it's still XP, same as if you were to strip down XP Pro. Stability would still depend on the DVR Software and Drivers. Would be considered more secure if it doesn't allow writing to it. Embedded XP normally costs alot more than your typical XP Home/Pro CD also.

Well, depends who the manufacturer is, isn't it??

What can I say, true and true on your assessment... However, once you really strip it down to the bone and compile properly, it works much better, yet still is a MS you know what...

I prefer Linux based embedded, much more stable...

Actually I am tinkering with one of these development kits allowing to create your XP embedded image to store on the flash memory... Development kit is about a $1,000 and once the image that you want is ready to go, then you will pay per license.. Not as much as the regular pricing or even the upgrade pricing, but still a cost to consider.