I am looking for the best service montior that money can buy...or a focus tool, I have heard of them but not sure how they work...my current set up is good but I need something that really allows a good focus at each camera...I am tired of wasting tech hours on..."no..back a bit...nope forward...nope back...nope just a little..stop there...no...too far"

i hate the auto focus cams...so a good tool, would be great!

Don't you have a Handheld monitor to use for focus and adjustments, that is what I have used, just connect at camera and there ya go!We carry one on our site, and I am sure there are others on the forum that also carry them, This is the link to our Service monitor that we carry, and I have used one when I was doing installs, [edit by mod-link removed], Hope this helps.

LCD Service monitors aren't for properly focusing a camera though, you would need something at least similar to a 9" CRT.

I use the one listed in this link: [edit by mod-store link removed] from last six months and so far it's been working well. What I really like about this TFT LCD service monitor is that it comes with wearable pouch for hands-free operation (look at the picture on that link and you'll see what I am talking about), you can power the camera from the LCD and it has Digtal Panel so quaility is great compare to the once I pruchased before. You can get it even cheaper then what is listed on the web site if you become a dealer with them. Hope this information helps because, I have bought few different service monitor in past from the couple of vendor I meet at ISC west and they seem to go bad really quick and the quaility was not all that.

Most of the small lcd monitors are only good for seeing if you have a reasonable picture. If you cant preset the cameras in the shop or they drift from vibration the only thing that will show weather or not you have good focus is a 9 to 13" tube type monitor.

(YES I sometimes have to bring a 13" Panasonic PRO monitor to see if the focus is good.) You cant tell if the focus is good with a 2.5" monitor...

A good field monitor with a decently sized display should suffice. If you need more then check out the "Camera Master". A handy tool, but no substitute for the good old eye

...You cant tell if the focus is good with a 2.5" monitor...

Why?

I have been using a very cheap 2.5" lcd monitor for the past 3 years and have always achieved a very crisp image.

The only challenge I have run into is trying to do it in bright sunlight. If it's that bad, then I go through the trouble of draping a towel over me and the monitor.

I wouldn't hesitate to bring a 9"crt with me if I wasnt getting less than perfect results with the small lcd monitor. But thus far I havent had a reason to.

Why?

I have been using a very cheap 2.5" lcd monitor for the past 3 years and have always achieved a very crisp image.

The only challenge I have run into is trying to do it in bright sunlight. If it's that bad, then I go through the trouble of draping a towel over me and the monitor.

I wouldn't hesitate to bring a 9"crt with me if I wasnt getting less than perfect results with the small lcd monitor. But thus far I havent had a reason to.

I dont see how it is possible to get a crisp focus with a 2.5" LCD.

I would like to see that image.

It's really not difficult to get a good focus on a small monitor. A few techs I know are able to focus off a pda. Just concentrate on the straight lines like a door frame or keyboard. Make the lines as sharp as possible. If there is any blur on the lines you know the camera is not focused properly.

I have a 7" LCD screen I carry around that I use for focusing at the camera - then I go inside and check image on the CRT monitor to verify.

On a couple of occasions I have had to take a 13" crt out to the camera and ensure precise focus. Sometimes the 7" ius fine, sometimes I need to use the CRT.

It's really not difficult to get a good focus on a small monitor. A few techs I know are able to focus off a pda. Just concentrate on the straight lines like a door frame or keyboard. Make the lines as sharp as possible. If there is any blur on the lines you know the camera is not focused properly.

Just because they do it, does not mean it is properly focused.

Just because they do it, does not mean it is properly focused.

True, but it's a good start. Especially if you are standing on top of a 20' ladder trying to focus. The shot still needs to be verified by the customer when they are seeing the video on the monitor used by the customer.

I am looking for the best service montior that money can buy...or a focus tool, I have heard of them but not sure how they work...my current set up is good but I need something that really allows a good focus at each camera...I am tired of wasting tech hours on..."no..back a bit...nope forward...nope back...nope just a little..stop there...no...too far"

i hate the auto focus cams...so a good tool, would be great!

I agree with Rick, get a portable LCD, about 7 in, some models carry lithium-ion battery within, to service camera. BNC and other accessory jack is avaliable as well.

top end model has video signal level meter.

Why?

I dont see how it is possible to get a crisp focus with a 2.5" LCD.

I would like to see that image.

TK hit it right on the head - you just adjust the lens until everything is as "sharp" as possible on your target area.

I'm not saying I can do the tweaks such as correct white balance, gamma correction, bright/contrast, hue/saturation, and all that other jazz.

I'm just saying the focus is quick and easy with a small lcd. I literally just did it today.

I'll log in with multiview and take a couple of snapshots and post them here.

850202822_RR-Kitchen.JPG.a33b2afee4ca1a7d0b6b28a86f931752.JPG

1216647392_RR-Patio.JPG.d37a6a5317a114fe005f720ec0869b2e.JPG

Please do, as this I must see.

Ok lets put it another way, one can try, and they just might, but there is no way to know for certain when using an LCD as you will never "see" the best focus (in other words, Im almost certain it could be better ). Basically, unless you plug the camera into a CRT, you will never know if it is focused properly (see below about the focus meter though).

As for the 2.5" part, the objects are too small, you are missing out on alot of edges/detail (pixels) that you cannot see on that monitor. Example would be to look at the images above, there is no way to know if the camera is focused; out of focus/low quality cameras can look very clear at 320x240, but when you blow them up, it's another story.

Also back to the original question, as mentioned there are meters you can purchase now specially for focusing.

Now, if you are happy and your clients are happy, with the focus you are getting with that 2.5" monitor, then that is all that matters. Im just very picky myself.

Also, one should ideally be focusing the camera at their office before they take the camera to the client for installation. Just use a view finder to get the focal views, then all you will need is that 2.5" LCD to mount the camera.

There are several digital meters that will assist in focusing a camera. The most important thing about focusing an auto-iris lens is to open the iris. When focusing during the day, the auto-iris will close down creating a pin-hole. With a small opening almost everything will be within the depth of field. At night, when the iris opens up, there is a good chance that the picture will be "soft" of slightly out of focus.

Use a #5 welders or cutting torch lens in front of the auto-iris to open up the iris. Then use whatever method you choose to actually focus on the target.

Another tip: When using the two-man method, have the guy at the camera define "left" and "right". The man at the monitor can then give more specific instructions. move left, left, left, stop, right. etc. Instead of keep going, stop, the other way, not the other other way...

Good Luck

Howard

howard@videoguardit.com

www.videoguardit.com

A good field monitor with a decently sized display should suffice. If you need more then check out the "Camera Master". A handy tool, but no substitute for the good old eye

I thought the "Camera Master" or similar device would actually be better than using the subjective good old eye.

The camera master is so sensitive that by touching the focus ring and thinking about turning it will cause the digital readout to change. I got two of them and require that all of our cameras are focused using one.