v2comp

High resolution DVR

I have been looking for high resolution DVR for a long time now.

Have anyone ever came across one with higher than 740x480 recording resolution. I need DVR with close to live view recording resolution. I do not care of frame speed as much as resolution here, and I am aware of limited storage capacity.

Any info highly appreciated.

If you are using analog cameras, D1 (720x480) is more than capable. Although color analog cameras are typically 768x494, in practice you wouldn't be able to see any improvement in picture quality if you went higher than D1.

But wait, there's more!

Besides resolution, you also need to account for other compression settings that affect the picture. Bit rate is the other major factor. High resolution with low bitrate is just as bad as low resolution.

I agree with Joeb, go with the IP cameras and integrate those cameras with NVR. AVerMedia NVR and AVerMedia HYBrid DVR supports most of the mfg. Joeb listed on his post. I have Used AVer Hybrid DVR with Vivotek . Axis and Arecontvision.

Surtech is right on. But I will say this has been a serious problem in our industry since DVRs were introduced. Most DVR manufacturers have a DI or 720 x 480 record setting, along with low, normal, high, superfine modes to name a few. Even in 720 x 480 with superfine setting, the DVR will never have the same resolution of the CCTV camera. A 720 x 480 camera with a measured horizontal resolution of 480TVL (which has meaning) which is recorded on a DVR in it's highest quality setting will not be faithfully recorded at 480TVL. It will be reduced by a factor of the applied compression. I realize we need to have compression, but I wish OEMs would provide TVL resolution instead of "720 x 480", which can mean nothing or very little. This why we need an industry measurement standard for DVRs.

Besides resolution, you also need to account for other compression settings that affect the picture. Bit rate is the other major factor. High resolution with low bitrate is just as bad as low resolution.

Survtech, can you please elaborate on this?

Do the DVR manufacturers post their bit rates and how do we evaluate the effects they will have on our total picture quality from one DVR manufacturers spec to another by considering them?

Surtech is right on. But I will say this has been a serious problem in our industry since DVRs were introduced. ... Even in 720 x 480 with superfine setting, the DVR will never have the same resolution of the CCTV camera. A 720 x 480 camera with a measured horizontal resolution of 480TVL (which has meaning) which is recorded on a DVR in it's highest quality setting will not be faithfully recorded at 480TVL. It will be reduced by a factor of the applied compression. I realize we need to have compression, but I wish OEMs would provide TVL resolution instead of "720 x 480", which can mean nothing or very little. This why we need an industry measurement standard for DVRs.

How can we use this information to make meaningful decisions on DVR selection?

How does compression figure into recorded picture clarity? ( If the DVR comresses it can't it faithfully decompress it? )

Does the picture clarity go down as the compression rate goes up?

How do compression rates & bit rates relate if at all?

Analog camera and DVR cannot be over D1 resolution. As I know, it is because of international video format standard.

I think you'd better look for IP cameras.

Thank you very much for your opinions here. I wish DVR manufacturers could at least consider developing DVR recorder for uncompressed video to take full advantage of good resolution analog cameras. I could add terabytes of HD space set the frame rate to 3 fps on motion only and be happy with it. In my opinion it is by far more important and usable to distinguish fine detail from the low frame rate video than have live video feed with crappy picture.