DavidR

CCTV Cameras with Audio Input?

What CCTV cameras also have Audio input?

We have a new security product that will soon allow both video and audio to be seen/heard on PocketPC and remote PC's. What camera/audio systems should we plan to support? Preference will be given to digital/network cameras.

What CCTV cameras also have Audio input?

We have a new security product that will soon allow both video and audio to be seen/heard on PocketPC and remote PC's. What camera/audio systems should we plan to support? Preference will be given to digital/network cameras.

Dont know about Network cameras, but 'CCTV' cameras generally dont have audio. Some bullet cameras, Ball cameras, hidden cameras, etc, come with audio, there are alot of different brands that have these, Provideo is one of them. There are also ceiling mounted microphone systems, l cant remember the name off hand, lorell r something like that.

I sell a Pin Hole camera with audio, however you will find that mounting a camera high will result in poor audio.

Also I would be carefull that your system allows microphones without a Pre Amp built in, most will require Pre Amplification amps, and they are usually only accepted as 8 bit mono which means you cant have a standard stereo mike.

I hope this helped,

If you're looking for a line of cameras with microphones built in, you might look at Silent Witness in British Columbia, Canada. They have several models available. However, the sound quality isn't the best.

I know this is an old thread... but I am sitting in my hotel room, bored, going through posts... and I thought this was important enough to post on.

There are some very serious legalities effecting audio monitoring as opposed to video. (at least in the US) !!!!!

This is why most cameras do not have mic inputs... to keep the dealers out of legal hot water.

The best example I can give is that, when you are out in public, you have no expectation of privacy against being seen. So video is no problem.

But what happens when you monitor and/or record their conversation without their consent, or the consent of any of the people in the conversation?

Check your local laws on audio monitoring. Most states require that at least one party to the conversation give their consent to another party to monitor and/or record thier conversation. Other jurisdictions require all parties in the conversation give thier consent.

the law on video versus audio are very different. Check with an attorney to get the scoop on local laws before doing any audio monitoring of people's conversations.

I know this is an old thread... but I am sitting in my hotel room, bored, going through posts... and I thought this was important enough to post on.

I agree, and am going to add my two cents here.

I have a different view. I have several clients in the Youth in Residential Care field. They are being forced more and more into doing video AND audio recording. And these people are having a HARD time finding good DIGITAL equipment and balancing that with their non-profit nature. Obviously, the problem is exactly as you stated, legalities.

But in this field, people are SCREAMING for audio.