VST_Man

recommended PC/Servers

I build and install DVR Servers. I currently use Dell Vostro C2D mini towers with Avermedia NV6480's & NV5000's on 16 camera systems. I want to build a 32 cam system using the NV6480 cards and would like to purchase a Dell PC/Server but I need to know what anyone else out there is using for Avermedia builds, especially for the 32 camera plus systems. I already know the specs as per the Avermedia web site. I want to hear from those who sucessfully built 32 cam systems using Dell or HP, or ???

My issue is this. The recommended specs from Aver are nice to know but I don't want to build 20 PC's a month. I want to buy a Dell or HP, insert the cards, and move on. Some Dell's don't work. ie. the optiplex series won't. Does Avermedia know that? Do they list that? Nope! But my Father has a nice new Optiplex PC now gets a new one every year..........from my OS fund.

anywho, if you have inplace DVR's running on manufactured PC's please list them here............I'd appreciate it.

VST_man, very good question, for which I'm interested in as well. But want due you use for an OS? Avermedia uses/offers a cut down version of XP Pro on a DOM.

Like me, Avermedia probably doesn't like Dells and thats why they dont care if they work or not with their cards.

Build your own PC, much better end product and cheaper.

DOM's? what "model" or "part number" are you talking about? I have purchased the PC types from Aver with DOM's but I did not know you could buy the DOM's seperate from.......

Rory.............I hear ya, but, my time is limited to doing what I am very good at. Building a PC takes time...............seems like I need to hire someone to do this? Used to do it but the issue I have with that is the tech keeps changing and I hate trying to make it all fit...and most times it don't.........asomething is always too tight or missing a screw.

I understand why it hard to say "use a Dell" since they are also changing. I'm looking for experience from us installers out here to share info. ie. I just told ya Vostros work with Avermedia's.........................

does anyone else have sucessful builds they can suggest?

I was in the same boat far as building PC for Goe & AVer DVR, then I found a company who I can buy properly build PC with AVer DVR card. They have over 18 years computer/IT experiance and they been doing CCTV for last 8 years. They are # 1 recommend company by AVerMedia USA. I have already gone thru the route you are on; buying Dell PC and or building my own PC. I first thought that I would save money by building my own PC or buy Dell, but not really. Now, I spend more time in selling and installing the DVR then building and supporting it. I have sold few 100s pre-build PC-DVR system from this vendor and they work real well. I'll PM you the information on this company and they are also listed on AVer's web site. FYI: They don’t sale Geo system any more and I stop using Geo since I got my first AVer System.

Rory.............I hear ya, but, my time is limited to doing what I am very good at. Building a PC takes time...............seems like I need to hire someone to do this? Used to do it but the issue I have with that is the tech keeps changing and I hate trying to make it all fit...and most times it don't.........asomething is always too tight or missing a screw.

Yeah but you said "build" DVR Servers"

They are easy to build, very simple these days.

Either way, Dell or not, one needs to stay on top of the lastest technology, or at least know whats out there from week to week (no need to be at it every day). Dell has many options, cant just rely on them to know what you need for the DVR .. as you already found out. Many custom built PCs wont work with Geo or Aver media either .. its to do with the parts used is all. Dont blame Dell though, nor Avermedia, Dell wasn't building it for a CCTV DVR, and Avermedia never suggested using those components for their DVR cards.

I can build a basic PC in 10 minutes easy. Rack Mount Server with multiple drives, fans, other add ons, new technology (different motherboard and other different parts from prev builds), etc .. 1 hour tops. Hardest part is cooling and tie strapping everything. And yes, would cost too much to send the parts to me and have me send the DVR back to you built, but should not be hard to find someone to build a decent PC around your area, its childs play these days ..

Software is a totally separate side of it and is not included in the physical build, that should be customized when purchasing a ready built system also, XP should never be left as is.

Software setup can take much longer if done right. But its worth it, after all you aren't giving the DVR away, I'm sure there is a charge for the setup right? Why put that extra $500 in Dell's hands when it could go in yours.

Actual on site DVR install should take no real time. Still, charge accordingly, thats the labor side of the CCTV job. If the client is kind of slow then charge more.

DOM's? what "model" or "part number" are you talking about? I have purchased the PC types from Aver with DOM's but I did not know you could buy the DOM's seperate from.......

I think the term is Disk On Module if I recall. Aver installs them in their SA6416 and SA7208H pre-bulit DVRS. I'm not sure if Avermedia sells the DOM loaded with their XP and DVR software. Far from being a software expert, I'm interested what OS is being used in custom PC based DVRs. Many seem too use a cut-down (customized) XP Pro. Any ideas Rory? Thanks

I think the term is Disk On Module if I recall. Aver installs them in their SA6416 and SA7208H pre-bulit DVRS. I'm not sure if Avermedia sells the DOM loaded with their XP and DVR software. Far from being a software expert, I'm interested what OS is being used in custom PC based DVRs. Many seem too use a cut-down (customized) XP Pro. Any ideas Rory? Thanks

XP pro mostly, unless one can afford XP Embedded, but that would bring the end cost of the DVR up. XP home isnt worth the small savings, and Vista well ..

Thanks Rory! I guess there's a difference between the XP embedded and the regular version of XP Pro. If I recall correctly, awhile back you had posts on discussing the modification of the software in order to made the dvr more stable. That's beyond my gray-matter...

In general in like the idea of building your own PC based dvr. I think this may allow the dealer to provide faster service of failed units.

Rory: Nice Post... you always have interesting reply

AVerMedia DOM:

There is not enough demand for DOM. AVer did have the NV6000 PCI DVR card with DOM, but I think they didn't move many units so they stop coming out with DVR with DOM option. Plus, they are using DOM for SA server so they want to keep that option for SA servers only, as of now.

True, but given that AverMedia sells pre-built DVRs like the SA6416/SA7208H plus various capture cards for the dealers or others who build DVRs, that is why I thought they might offer the DOM also. I placed a call to them to see.

does anyone else have sucessful builds they can suggest?

We just finished a new 32 ch avermedia server. it works smooth so far and I love it

here is the hardware list for you:

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=7334006&WishListTitle=Avermedia%2D32CH%2Dserver

hope this helps. and me too think you should build them yourself. I feel better giving my clients that than OEM pc.

Could have got the 2.6 for just a few dollars more

That 2.2 must be screaming with 32 cameras (or was it the 2.4?)

Make sure you disable Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS and run CPUZ to confirm you are running the max CPU speed.

I know. also RAM, I could get 4Gigs for 10$ less of what I paid for 2 Gigs! well too late -too bad

I got the 2.4 by the end. the 'wishlist' was changed when I made it to a shopping cart. it was just an easy way to post it here without too many copy/paste

edit:

btw thanks for the tips on the bios settings and CPUZ

only would have seen 3GB though .. so no worries ..

CPU is where the real issue would be with many cameras ..

Thanks for the wish list................

I am considering a Q6600 & a P5B...................not sure I need the Q

Rory, why change the speedstep BIOS setting? Should this be a "always do" setting with PC based?

thanks again y'all

Thanks for the wish list................

I am considering a Q6600 & a P5B...................not sure I need the Q

Rory, why change the speedstep BIOS setting? Should this be a "always do" setting with PC based?

thanks again y'all

Its a power saving mode for laptops, not required for a regular PC. When enabled your 2.4 will be a 1.6 most of the time. Even though it is suppose to auto adjust, it doesn't always do that when you need it, for example, moving around Windows is typically slower.

NV6000 with DOM is being discontinue and from what I understand is that AVerMedia at this point do not want to release DOM by itself (as I think they are trying to push there SA series product) but that my change. By the way I have couple of PCI NV6000-16 channel with DOM in stock if someone wants it.

I have to disagree, i only use gigabyte, i love it

I use MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus .. all are good. I use MSI for the budget core 2 duo or P4 systems mostly, they work well though, no issues thus far.

Q6600 installed with Video Insight, 32 cameras. CPU smokes. went from 80-90% on a 3.2 Dual Core to 30-35% on the Q6600. the extra plus in this is the Q6600 also runs multiple programs like Go2my pc, VNC, archiver, citrix, big sis, ect. loggin in via go2mypc is faster and screen quality is also great now. what a difference.

sweet!