raymond

Problem with geovision and sony hq1 cameras

Hi,

I have been working with geovision for about 3 years now. I have usually been able to achieve good clear images.

I have recently noticed that when I use Sony HQ1 chipped cameras (550TVL domes from 2 different sources) that I get vertical lines, a halo of hatching at the edge of objects, pulsing, movement of images to side and back, horizontal rolling effect.

These problems are much worse on live view that on recorded images. The problems seem to worsen with artificial lighting.

I have checked camera signals with an oscilloscope and a problem can only be seen once plugged into a geo card.

I have tried recording at all the resolutions, using all the compressions, to no avail. Use of AGC in GEO v8.12 makes the problem worse.

The pictures from my older non HQ1, lower resolution cameras are rock steady and clear on the same running gear, even when running side by side with the HQ1.

The problem occurs on both amd and intel core2duo platforms using different motherboards and graphics cards, and only with HQ1 cameras, on 3 separate cards, 2 GV650 (x4 andx8) and a GV800 (x16). I have even tried a version 7 card, and the pulsing, lining, halo still recurs.

I cant help thinking that if there was an incompatibility between Geo and these cameras that surely others would be making a noise about it.

Anyone else had this?

Hi,

I got the same problem but the other way around. Sony 453 works perfect

but other brands gives the vertical lines at edges. The image looks

terrible! Iv'e built GV250 machines that gets a lot better images!

The problem only occures on GV800 cards and below. GV1240 gives a

perfect image with the same cameras.

I mailed images of the problem to Geo support, but havn't got any good

reasons for the lines yet.

Have you got around the problem yet?

looks like I have the same issue here, but not sure what chip this camera has .. it claims 550 TVL though and CCD. KPC-S230CHWWX on a GV650. Its not great either direct into monitor, but all these blue spots and such only appear in Geo.

2005512536297179784_th.jpg

Oh yeah, seems it one of those chips:

1/3" Sony HQ1 CCD/ 550 TV Lines

So was there any feedback from geo on this yet?

I tried 8.12 and had the problem so even just installed 8.2 and same problem. Sucks .. Distributors should also be made aware of this, I will try and contact the geo rep who is on the forum now, but if no go, then I will post a sticky or set this as one.

Edited by Guest

Dear Raymond,

Please provide me with following information....

1) The camera's brand name and model numbers

< Sony HQ1 is camera's chipset >

2) Hardware version of GV 650 (x4 andx8) and a GV800 (x16).

Simply take out the GeoVision Capture card and the hardware version is right in the front of capture cards. < Right above the golden fingers >

3) Provide me with 10 minutes video chips....PM Me please!!

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

Technical Support

GeoVision. Inc.

+886-2-8797-8377 ext 287

Hi Andy, in my case it is the KPC-S230CHWWX, GV650-8, an MSI Motherboard Intel 945GC with onboard video. See image posted above, will try to get clips if you still need them, i still have the DVR here as not sure what to do yet.

Hi Rory!

I got problem with KPC cams too. Ernitec domes generates a terrible image. LG mini domes and Sony gives an acceptable (sellable) image.

All cams work perfect with 1240 and above cards.

Looks like the happy days with budget cards are over.

Usually I used 250 cards for smaller installs like 1 to 3 cams.

The image was fairly good and the framerate was fine with the "Smart"

option. Todays 650 cards cant match those 250 cards

Tested about 5 different 650 cards from different batches in several pc:s

without any difference.

Testing Geo 8.2 with IP cams now but there are glitches and bits and parts missing there. The image is superb though.

@Andy:

Geovision have a load of images and info from me. Look for support

items from Sweden. If you like to have the supportID, please PM me.

yep Im getting tired now .. seems the more camera manufacturers "advance' the worst things get .. all that OSD and DSS stuff is not needed either .. they need to go back to basics and get those kinks worked out ... as for DVRs ... well I would like to hear back from Andy on that. If the picture quality is going to keep getting worse on the Geo's and other DVR cards, or have issues like this with certain cameras, then whats the point in using them? Now I have to take down one of my color Eclipse Cameras (which do work on the Geo but also look shabby on this "new" GV650) and give that to the client, and I will be without one of my cameras.

back to the $100 standalones and a 13" TV?

Same thing here. I actually complained about it to you Rory about 6 months ago and its still the same. I havent changed cameras but from the older software to the new is a huge difference in live quality. Even into a CRT its not all that. The biggest problem I have is that the default settings seem to be off. And for the life of me I cant stop the colors from pulsating on the screen. The pictures used to clear and crsip but I haven't got a nice picture in a while. Playback is good but other units have both live and playback units with the same or above quality. I am now looking into other options. That control center software is what keeps me buying the Geo's for now.

Back to 7.0 with my Geo Skinz maybe?

Tell you what I will do, I have a PC DVR here now I just built, and a GV650-4 card, I will get some video and images from AmCap and Geo and see what kid of difference there is. I will also load a couple Older Geo's. Unfortunately might be a firmware issue with the cards also, but will see.

I also have an older GV250-2 I can test.

I wouldn't mind doing that. But the only problem is how to get the newer remote viewing software with the viewlog. Thats alot better than the old geo software had.

sounds like the cams internal sync is interfering with the circuitry in the card.

The Sony chip set might have a funky clock speed.

With fluro lighting -another signal 50-1200Hz is being superimposed / added into the video to make it worse probably.

my 2c

ps

might be the Kama monster? -I was looking at using geovision here in Australia they are not returning Emails ehhh! guess they don't need more

customers .....

Yup, I'm guessing on the color sync signal. It seems that the span is to

narrow on the GV650 cards. I can't prove it though, got no instrument to

measure the IRE.

I spoke to a Mirasys distributor and he reqognized the symptoms. Mirasys

had the exact same problem a couple of years ago. They fixed it by

putting the settings for the color sync into the register instead.

@Rory:

I've tried down to 8.0 soft without any difference. I know I had good

pictures with GV250 and 8.0. It has to be something different with

the 650 cards.

I wouldn't mind doing that. But the only problem is how to get the newer remote viewing software with the viewlog. Thats alot better than the old geo software had.

Might be able to get that to work with older versions .. worth a shot.

There is a program from MS on the Pro CD in the Support Folder, called Depends, lets you view a files dependencies. From there you can see all the other files that it depends on, then see which ones they depend on, and so on so forth. I wish geo would offer at the least Remote View log as an add on option for some older versions, even if its based on sending Geo a serial number from the card so they can make sure it is legit. Many people will never use all the other features they added in 8.xx.

Yup, I'm guessing on the color sync signal. It seems that the span is to

narrow on the GV650 cards. I can't prove it though, got no instrument to

measure the IRE.

I spoke to a Mirasys distributor and he reqognized the symptoms. Mirasys

had the exact same problem a couple of years ago. They fixed it by

putting the settings for the color sync into the register instead.

@Rory:

I've tried down to 8.0 soft without any difference. I know I had good

pictures with GV250 and 8.0. It has to be something different with

the 650 cards.

I wonder if one could downgrade the firmware on the cards to older firmware .. then use the 7.xx version instead .. the more things advance the worst they get it seems ..

Thats another reason I havent released my new software yet, lots of bugs (issues with the 8.0 activeX from Geo also) .. unlike MS and the rest that just drop it out there .. I will wait until its completed

I've been using all of the Geo cards over the past few years and haven't noticed a huge difference in quality from 7 to 8. I don't install the 650's often but we've done a few over the past year including one installed at my house and I've never had a problem with bad picture quality, but I have recently stared seeing kind of purple halos in the picture of a few of the cameras on a couple ocassions. I had assumed it was the cameras but now I'll have to look deeper.

Is it possible to see some of the bad things you guys are seeing?

I've been using all of the Geo cards over the past few years and haven't noticed a huge difference in quality from 7 to 8. I don't install the 650's often but we've done a few over the past year including one installed at my house and I've never had a problem with bad picture quality, but I have recently stared seeing kind of purple halos in the picture of a few of the cameras on a couple ocassions. I had assumed it was the cameras but now I'll have to look deeper.

see my image posted above.

Rory....

Could you send me 10 minute video clips...

Please also check the hardware version of your GV650_8..

The hardware version is right on the front of the capture card above Goeden fingers..

Thank you...

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

Technical Support

GeoVision. Inc.

+886-2-8797-8377 ext 287

Attaching a terrible image from an Ernitec dome cam and GV600-6.

Note the vertical lines. The image pulsate very quick every 3:d second.

The good looking guy in the red t-shirt is me Hello everybody!

The other guy is the other half of the company.

ErnitecVR-DN3V10H_GV600.jpg.06c7d4a6285e23d584e5ceb13608f1e9.jpg

Rory....

Could you send me 10 minute video clips...

Please also check the hardware version of your GV650_8..

The hardware version is right on the front of the capture card above Goeden fingers..

Thank you...

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

Technical Support

GeoVision. Inc.

+886-2-8797-8377 ext 287

Will do later today as just going to catch some sleep right now, thanks for the reply, Rory

Hi all,

thanks for all the responses so far.

@Andy,

I cant pm you.

I did email geovision about my problems. the reference is

"E-mail case: 200712192001"

The response of geovision was

"Regarding your question with Sony HQ1 camera, after confirmed the video and your description with our engineers, we're afraid that this could be the normal issue"

The problems were evident on 3 different systems, specs as follows using a gv 650-4, a gv650-8 and a gv800-16.

System 1:-

Asrock 939NF6G-VSTA Socket 939 Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 Dual-Core Socket 939 OEM Processor

Crucial 1GB kit (512MBx2) DDR PC3200 CL=3 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR400 2.6V 64Meg x 64

ATI Radeon X300SE 128MB PCIE DVI Graphics Card

Windows XP pro

System 2:-

ASUS P5PL2-E i945PL SKT LGA775 Serial ATA-300 6 Channel High Definition Audio ATX

Kingston 2GB (2x1GB Kit) DDR2 533MHz/PC2-4200 Non-ECC CL4

Coolermaster IGreen 500W PSU - 85% Efficiency ATX12V v2.2 120mm Fan

ASUS EAX1050TD X1050 256MB DDR DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Microsoft Windows Vista Business x32Bit OEM 1PK DVD

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz (Retail 775)

System 3:-

ASRock S939 ULi M1695 ATX Audio Lan

Sapphire Technology Radeon X1300 512MB PCI-E DVI-I VO

Corsair Memory VS1GBKIT400C3 PC3200 2x512MB CAS3

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 Dual-Core Socket 939 OEM Processor

Windows XP Pro

The cameras used were

a videcon vbp6324 and an EZ-Day-Night-3-Axis-Dome from ezcctv.

both have full datasheets avilable on the web. i cant post links.

I have also advised ezcctv of this problem and assume that they have been in contact with you also. You will appreciate that I had jobs to complete and therefore have since used an alternative card and moved the systems and cameras on (although i am awaiting geo sorting out these problems so that i can eventually find a home for the cards i have been left with.)

@Orion

That shot is exactly what we saw. In our test room we have low energy bulbs and a 650-4 on system 2 with 3 ez day night domes was awful. However the visual distortion is still worse on live view than on recored images, tho' you can still see some of the pulsing.

i hope geo get this one ironed out.

That shot is exactly what we saw. In our test room we have low energy bulbs and a 650-4 on system 2 with 3 ez day night domes was awful. However the visual distortion is still worse on live view than on recored images, tho' you can still see some of the pulsing.

i hope geo get this one ironed out.

Thank you Raymond! That means that I'm not crazy after all

Have you installed those EZ cams om a GV600 system before without the problem?

I got a LG minidome the other day. Those are cams that I have on existing 600 systems with very good images.

I will test the GV systems with that cam to see if it still give a

good image. In that case Sony 453 and

LG are the only cams that works on 600 and 800 systems

Hi Orion,

i had used the videcon cameras before, but always on gv 1240s (without issue). this was the first time i had tried that camera on a gv650. i had never tried the ez camera before this, but can tell you it (and the videcon camera) give a good crisp, non frayed, non pulsating picture on avermedia!

did you get any useful response from geovision?

thanks,

Raymond

I have seen the same, cams are good with 1240 but lousy with 600.

Got a mail from Geo today with a request to borrow one of the bad image cams. So I'll going to send them one of my Ernitech domes.

I really hope that it is possible to make a softfix on this.

sorry video is like 200+mb so I need to trim it down, not tonight though, here is a comparison between the camera with the problem and another cheap camera, same exact location and same port on the GV650 card. Its a given that the camera is a piece of nanny also, but the blue and washy image is what bothers me, it doesnt show up when connected directly to a monitor, just pixelisation as the camera cant handle the outdoor light level.

GOODCAM.jpg

badCAM.jpg

Dear All,

I had contacted an Ernitech technical representative, regarding to Ernitec Mercury 2 vertical line problem. Here is the suggestion.

Inside Ernitec Mercury 2 camera, there are three dip-switches.

Switch # 1 FL < By default is OFF>

Switch # 2 AGC < By default is ON >

Switch # 3 BLC < By default is OFF>

Please adjust the switch #1 and #3 < Turn it on >

Need a Manual for Ernitec Mercury 2, please PM me….

In addition, provide me with your email address….

=====================================

Regarding to KPC camera, it is still under investigation….

Due the forum FTP site error, I can’t upload some pictures, regarding to video quality between combo cards and GV650/800 cards. Anyone is interested feel free to PM me… Provide me with your email address and I will sent the document to you...

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

Technical Support

GeoVision. Inc.

+886-2-8797-8377 ext 287