raymond

Problem with geovision and sony hq1 cameras

Dear Rory,

Please try the following video attribute setting...

Brightness 120

Contrast 120

Saturation 95

Hue 190

Does it help?

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

Technical Support

GeoVision. Inc.

+886-2-8797-8377 ext 287

Thanks Andy, I will try it in the morning as I need to go to the car for the camera to test it. 6am going to sleep now .. ha ha

Thanks Andy, I will try it in the morning as I need to go to the car for the camera to test it. 6am going to sleep now .. ha ha

You sleep? I thought that you never sleep!

JD

Let me know how you get on.

I did try adjusting dip switches on the ez camera at the suggestion of the ezcctv tech support guys but it did absolutely nothing for the problem.

Likewise the same camera on an avermedia card gave a lovely crisp image running side by side with a geo system under same lighting conditions with all switches the same, whereas the quality problems with geo persisted.

@ Andy

Have you been able to replicate the problems we are describing and then verify that the suggestions you have made will cure or at least improve the problem?

thanks,

Raymond

You sleep? I thought that you never sleep!

JD

not much .. got to sleep actually around 7.30 am .. been like that for the past week now ..

going to try it in a minute .. sorry was working on a CNB camera all night and was busy during the day .. the CNB the lens (focus ring) was basically bad from the factory and then fiddling with it, it then broke totally so I had to "gut" it and take it all apart and then replace the lens with one from another True Day night bullet I had here which had a broken housing mount area but the lens was still good .. anyway that camera is now working (except I put it back in upside down so gotta go take it back apart and fix that!).

So yeah will try the HQ bullet in a bit then let you know .. BTW the HQ bullet I have has no dip switches inside it so I cant adjust anything there, was hoping there might have been something to make it brighter under low light (eg iris adjustment) but seems not .. There is something tiny that looks like it will turn but I imagine that is a power thing.

Andy, that turned it purple

Also., plugged in another camera and it was fine, but there were horrizontal messed up pixels .. trying a GV250 card now and see how that is .. maybe there is a problem with the GV650s?

looks like there's a problem with the GV650 all around ..

Cant use them again if they are going to give these kinds of images ..

Even plugged direct into my LCD with a converter the image is 10 times better, not to mention how good it is on a CRT CCTV Monitor.

gv650.jpg

Ok UPDATE on this ..

I tested the same little color KTC 550TVL bullet on a Gv1120 this evening, and inside a store with full light or even with them dimmed it was fine, pixelised some just like the nuvico's but thats expected in that low light, but there was no BLUE or nothing .. looked normal.

So its fine on the GV1120 .. or ..

is it a motherboard/video card issue?

I am using here a MSI with a 945G Chipset, and onboard video.

When i adjust the overlay in the Intel Graphics properties it changes it in the Geo video (eg. brightness, contrast, etc), cant remember if it is supposed to or not? That image above, that camera also had issues, so ignore that, I have the other one hooked up now and on a color TV and it is fine, Color in the day and BW at night (the CNB one), and clear at least as far as the vehicles go - no blocks or pixelisation at all. I also have a color high res dome I have used in the past for security gates and such, definitely no HQ1 chip, and will test that as well. And I have a couple other Day Night/ Color IR cameras I will test in addition.

Along with all this, I now have an 8 channel GV650 with the pigtails, so will try that and also my GV250 - yes will be doing all of this tonight!! And in addition to all of that, I will try my GV250 with the BT drivers and AmCap and raw uncompressed and then see each camera on that, will do that first actually then reformat and test the other 2 Geo cards. Will save as much images as I can. I am doing this on a plain install of XP SP2, nothing tweaked.

I would like to say one more thing to camera and DVR manufacturers, Resellers, Distributors .. it would really be GREAT if everyone just wanted cameras indoors with tons of light and could use the most expensive DVRs/DVR cards out there as well as the most expensive proven cameras .. but yah know, its not how life is.

Camera I have here to test:

Nuvico CB-SD3895N-L

Nuvico NVCC-W28IR12N

A no name Color/IR Fixed Lens

KT&C KPC-S230CHWWX

KT&C KPC-EXH190SWX

CNB CNB-B2310NVF

Eclipse ECL-377X

Eclipse ECL-596

Vitek VTC-EB15B

Provideo Color 480TVL Vandal Dome (old)

Quite a lot aye? Wonder if I will test them ALL tonight, will see.

The best thing to do is record the video on the GV650 system, then remove the card and replace it with the Gv1120 or any combo card and test that. If the video is fine from the combo but bad from the 650, you know it's a chipset/driver issue (They use different chips).

I have a Gv650 in my system at home running 8.2 and it's never given me a problem, and I've never seen a difference between a 600 and a 650 or 800 in terms of quality, only frame rate.

Rory's test pics should be interesting.

I dont have a 1120 handy, a client has one but I cant remove it. I just plugged in the color HQ1 bullet earlier on his system and it was fine .. but .. I found out some new stuff .. just got in from testing using a GV250 card with BT878 Drivers based on the Geo 8.11, and using AmCap (Raw video, no compression).

Tested all cameras mentioned other than the Provideo. Also tested them on a 13" Brand New Color TV (they all pretty much look good on my 9" BW CRT so needed something else to do a real world test on). Tested them outside under dusk to dawn light and also pointed them towards lighter and darker areas as well as inside the garage.

Some interesting findings, which may make you think twice about buying some of the cameras out there on the market being pushed by resellers.

Also, I have to say its not all the GV650's fault, and I shall show why.

Anywho ... not gonna bother anymore, even after buying a brand spanking new $100 PCIe Video card same horrid quality on the GV250, and ITS NOT just the HQ1 cameras!!

Wont use the GV650 again, money down the drain and will try to talk them into a better card if they say anything .. but for now see a thread regarding the various cameras:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12063

Rory,

I appreciate your feedback. I was kinda hoping that you could tell me the problems with the GV 650 could be resolved!!

Did you at any time see the pulsing and hatching at the ede of images similar to what Orion reported?

Orion,

Did you get any further feedback from Geo?

I've been left with several geo cards that I wont install due to the quality issues.

Perhaps Andy from Geo can give us a list of cameras that will give good or even acceptable image quality on a GV650 so I can move my bunch on.

Thanks for the feedback anyway!

I bought another motherboard, another $135 out of my pocket in addition to the $99 NVidea PCIe Video card ... no change. It was just the 945G while the MSI one I was using before that was the 954GC.

Only slight difference in quality I noticed was when i changed it from De-interlaced to regular. But then you get lines across moving objects like vehicles!

Nope, looks like its stand alone DVRs from now on .. for the cheap jobs .. didnt experience as bad an image nor the other problems with the Combo cards, and in the past the quality on the Gv250 and GV800's ive used were good. .. things change I guess.

Orion,

Did you get any further feedback from Geo?

I've been left with several geo cards that I wont install due to the quality issues.

Perhaps Andy from Geo can give us a list of cameras that will give good or even acceptable image quality on a GV650 so I can move my bunch on.

Thanks for the feedback anyway!

Haven't got any solution from Geo yet. Got some suggestions how to set

the dip switches on the Ernietec cam, but I've allready tested that long ago

without any improvement.

I've given up. The remaining cards that I have will be installed with

Sonys 453 and LGs minidome witch works out fine with 600 cards.

When these are gone I woun't buy any 600-650-800 card no more.

This is the kick in the butt I needed to go for IP cams only.

This is the kick in the butt I needed to go for IP cams only.

Kind of making me look to going that route also .. MegaPixel only though .. im not that happy with the quality on the combo cards anymore either, short of using the DSP output, but nobody wants the huge CCTV CRT monitors anymore so the DSP is kind of useless now .. other than for TVs but thats low res (analog->digital -TV/LCD). With the DSP out to the CRT it was great quality .. now its all LCD

I know this is an old thread but I just have to share this

I bought a PC508-IR about a year ago from "supercircuits" and haven't used it yet due to very grainy picture jugged edges and horrible contrast.

I thought it was the much discussed incompatibility issue with the new sony chipsets, so I didnt think to try anything else.

Today I needed an extra camera and remembered I still had this one laying around so I plugged it back in and again was so disappointed at the picture quality coming through the geovision software.

I then tried a few different things to try and get to the bottom of the issue

1. disconnected all other cameras connected to the geovision card--no change

2. changed power supplies (even tried a 12v battery) ---- no change?

3. I use a tv/monitor that has an AV RCA input so I connected the camera straight to that, thinking that I ll be getting a great picture there at least BUT TO MY SURPRISE!!!.......it was the same horrible picture I got through the gv800 card!

What do you guys think is going on here??? do I have a bad camera? is there any way to resolve this?

I didnt call "supercircuits" yet because I bought it so long ago that no one will believe I hadn't used it till now.

I appreciate any feedback

Thanks