jisaac

So what laptops are you guys using now?

I was wondering what laptops does everyone use? I just today placeed an order to replace my dell latitude d810.

So I am not sure how these notebooks perform. But I ordered three of them.

dell xpx m1730

here are the specs

Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme X7900 (2.8GHz/800Mhz FSB, 4MB Cache

310-9525 1 PERSONALIZATION SHIELD, LCD COLOR WING OPTION,GRAY

311-7447 1 4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm for XPS M1730

320-5788 1 17 UltraSharp TrueLife Wide screen WUXGA for XPS M1730

320-5790 1 NVIDIA SLI Dual GeForce 8700MGT with 512MB GDDR3 Memory

341-5480 1 200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive for XPS M1730

420-6815 1 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit Edition English,Inspiron

420-7100 1 Media Direct 3.3

420-5769 1 Internet Search and Portal

420-5924 1 Icon Consolidation Application

420-6436 1 Vista, PC-Restore, Dim/Insp

463-2282 1 Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access

412-0946 1 Dell Travel ExpressCard Remote Control, IR

420-7401 1 DELL RESOURCE DVD,BACK-UP,XPS M1730

420-7468 1 ADOBE ACROBAT READER 8.1 DIM/INSP

313-5857 1 2X Blu-ray AND DVD+/-RW

420-6464 1 Roxio Creator Basic

420-7759 1 Media Direct for Blu-Ray

420-7404 1 Dell Exclusive MediaDirect Instant Play Software Application

313-5014 1 Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy

430-2588 1 Dell Wireless 1505 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps), for XPS M1730

320-5789 1 Logitech Gaming LCD

466-4789 1 No Virus Protection Requested

312-0603 1 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for XPS M1730

312-0604 1 80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Additional Battery, for XPS M1730

412-0148 1 No Internet Service Provider Requested

420-6590 1 Microsoft Office 2007 Small Business Edition

412-0359 1 Soft Contracts - Qualxserve

960-3652 1 Warranty Support,2 Year Extended

960-8710 1 Warranty Support,Initial Year

988-0328 1 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Extended Year

983-2562 1 Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response, 2YR Extended

988-0327 1 Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year

983-8480 1 Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response, Initial Year

900-9987 1 Standard On-Site Installation Declined

960-1937 1 CompleteCare Accidental DamageService, Inspiron, 3 Year

412-0357 1 Soft Contracts - Business Complete Care

430-2655 1 Dell Wirless 355 Bluetooth Module (2.0+EDR)

320-6171 1 AGEIA PhysX Physics Accelerator

310-9516 1 You have chosen a Vista Premium System

310-8319 1 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

310-8977 1 S and P Drop-in-Box Marcom forBSD Systems Boxes

986-9369 1 LoJack Theft Recovery Service - 3 Year

Any body used these series?

ok, you replace 1 old tired laptop with 3 high speed ones? funny

I used last years laptops today.............cheaper and I don't get overly excited about droping it. AND, more importantly, all my DVR software is still Vista ugly so upgrading anything right now is very wrong for my biz........ain't got time to figure out if it works or not or where to get the right software plugin patch thing.............

last years work just fine........maybe I'm getting old? There are lots of great deals for under 500 bucks...........

VST you can always upgrade to XP

Im loading XP on these new slow Laptops that come with Vista all the time now.

Isaac went all out on those though, they arent cheap and with the specs listed they can run Vista fine, most laptops in the <$1300 range wont though.

ok, you replace 1 old tired laptop with 3 high speed ones? funny

I used last years laptops today.............cheaper and I don't get overly excited about droping it. AND, more importantly, all my DVR software is still Vista ugly so upgrading anything right now is very wrong for my biz........ain't got time to figure out if it works or not or where to get the right software plugin patch thing.............

last years work just fine........maybe I'm getting old? There are lots of great deals for under 500 bucks...........

Ya, you see the funny thing is that my old laptop started to shock me when I placed it on my lap. ya go figure. So I called dell and they said they would have to replace it. So after a day or so I hear from them that they dont make the d810 anymore and that they would have to give me my full amount back that I paid for my d810 and I could use it to get a new computer. So heck that was pretty cool. So I had a $3,410.00 credit. Well so when I started to customize my laptops there was alot of additional things I wanted to add.

So then I start to think "ya know? I am going to get one for my wife so she will quit using mine. And also I was thinking hell why not get another one. So that I can have one for work and one for fun.

Man do you know how much that blueray DVD burner upgrade was? like $400. I got that on one of my computers. What I will use it for I dont know. But thought it might come useful one day.

Ya and about dropping it that’s why I get that accident insurance. 149 dollars covers any accidents is a no brainer for me. Especially me. Since I am usually pretty rough on everything I own.

But on the vista xp issue. I thought about it for a while. But I also figured that the laptops hopefully can run it without to many issues. if I do have too many issues I will just load xp back on them.

Yeah, Vista is a POS when it comes to being on a technician's laptop. Try Dell to see if they still have XP laptops with fast processors and over sized hard drives instead...

since jonnyb brought an old thread back to life ...

I sold my 14.1" Core 2 Duo and now have an Eee PC 4G

since jonnyb brought an old thread back to life ...

I sold my 14.1" Core 2 Duo and now have an Eee PC 4G

Fairly interesting product isn't it? It is not very powerful and yet delivers all the basics someone needs.. I have one of these and have been using it for the last month.. it actually could be a great service tool, if someone is using it to program systems in the field...

Fairly interesting product isn't it? It is not very powerful and yet delivers all the basics someone needs.. I have one of these and have been using it for the last month.. it actually could be a great service tool, if someone is using it to program systems in the field...

Yep .. check out the eeeuser forum and you will find some software I wrote for it (XP forum section), just uploaded a USB Setup package also. Its surprisingly faster than my Athlon PC for many things including the 10 second boot time, but thats because I install a stripped down version of XP then tweak it like mad, and it has 2GB Ram.

Ive used it already in the field to walk around and adjust cameras at one location, worked well

The version that I am using is their Linux based solution. I checked the XP version and was not thrilled about it.. with Linux version I have basically everything I need and great for travel too... Besides the cost being sub-$400 range, it makes sense to use them..

The version that I am using is their Linux based solution. I checked the XP version and was not thrilled about it.. with Linux version I have basically everything I need and great for travel too... Besides the cost being sub-$400 range, it makes sense to use them..

Mine came with Linux also, wiped that off and loaded XP before I even had it out of the Box. (they didnt have any with XP preloaded back then, but still I would wipe it and do my own)

Just to clarify, I had used several before I got my own so I knew I didnt want their modified linux OS on my PC.

How did you do it man? Not that I favor Microshaf... and have been using Linux for over 10 years, just curious... I know that you can and if you can share some info, I will appreciate it... The main issue for me would have been the drivers and miniature version of XP like Tiny XP?? I know it takes external devices easily.. Regardless if the current offering from ASUS comes with XP already preloaded, I'd like to know how you did it...

I lived inside Virtual Box for a couple Months ..

No seriously, Nlite ofcourse, but yeah I still live inside VBox as well as the Registry. Well there are many that just have the default XP Installed on it .. I did also .. but I didnt want that .. its not bad with it, but its also not great! Anyway, originally I was Nliting for the space, but in the end it was also for the speed - 10 seconds to the desktop - even my desktop cant come close. In fact the only thing better was Virtual box which was 5 seconds. And how do I calculate the boot times? I made a program to do that ofcourse.

If you have the 4G, its clocked at 630Mhz by default, the 2G is clocked at 571Mhz. I think the 8G and the 900 are the same as the 4G in that regard. Anyway, someone made an overclocking program that you can run to bring it back to 900Mhz, not on the 2G though as its a different system and slower. Also a newer BIOS takes care of that too but I had issues with it so went back to the original one that came with the Eee PC, the 401 BIOS. Anyway, the CPU is the issue if anything, size of the SSD could be a little too, but personally the size is not much of an issue for me anymore with 270MB XP SP2 Installs (130MB ISO).

Asus provides the drivers for XP on their site and also it comes on a DVD. Better yet though someone on the eeeforum made a slipstreamed lightweight version of them which we just add to Nlite. So no problems there, works well

Ofcourse performance gets better with the more things you disable, and that includes the Webcam, Lan, Audio, and with just 11 services set to automatic and started, the rest mostly on disabled and a few on manual, 2GB of Ram, No Page file, quite a few other minor tweaks .. she flies!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1284297/eee_pc_701_tweaked_fast_boot/

and one that shows me watching the remote video, actually this one has themes enabled too unlike the other one:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/eeepc/eeepcTweaked2.wmv

Anyway, down to business ..

The Nlite session file:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=22332

The USB Setup program I just released (BETA):

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=30920

ive been using it for a couple months myself just updated the USB prep part of it

Reg Tweaks for the Eee PC:

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/eeepc/EeePCMainHacks.REG

And a Post install Services Tweak program:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=255465#p255465

BootTimer:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=245244#p245244

Remove ALL page files from ALL local drives:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=273508#p273508

Basically I also created a recovery SD Card using another method I made based on DriveSnapshot and MS-DOS. I Carry that SD card with me and if I ever need to, can restore in 5 minutes.

Rory, you are something else man... now I have to do this before I go to sleep...

I rather get another one and play with it.. The on hand is already very functional and I do not want to change anything on it... no crash period because it is linux... speed is not that important, but I will find out what you have done...

Good job man...

Nice thing is they have the Linux Recovery right there on the DVD ..

I did it once just to see if it works and it does, recreates all 4 partitions and installs linux as it was when the PC first came.

So you can always go back ..