mike409

I have some question.........please.

I've read the FAQ and thumbed through a bunch of pages here and could not find the answers I need. I've never purchased, installed or worked with any type of CCTV equipment.

I'm looking to purchase a CCTV IR DVR system. I assist in the management of major construction sites, sometimes up to eight at one time. Recently, we've had some theft going on at each of the job sites. I'm needing a system that I can set up and take down often, to bring to another site. Anytime the system is up, it will be manned my certain employees, mostly myself . They do not need to be hidden cameras, just weatherproof IR's.

If you've ever seen the show "Ghost Hunter", that's basically want I want to do(not hunt ghosts ). To set up one night and move to another site the following night.

I've seen systems that come with a fuse box. I'd rather not go that route. Simple is better, if it can be done.

Can I connect the cameras directly to a DVR for power

OR

Does each camera need to to connected to AC power??

Are there any manufacturers I should stay away from?

I have an Dell LCD monitor, can I use it for a monitor??

Any tips or suggestions on types of equipment and what I need would help enormously.

Looking to spend under $2000.00 for a 2 to 4 camera system.

THANKS!!

I've seen systems that come with a fuse box. I'd rather not go that route. Simple is better, if it can be done.

Can I connect the cameras directly to a DVR for power

OR

Does each camera need to to connected to AC power??

Are there any manufacturers I should stay away from?

I have an Dell LCD monitor, can I use it for a monitor??

Any tips or suggestions on types of equipment and what I need would help enormously.

Looking to spend under $2000.00 for a 2 to 4 camera system

You will have to have a seperate power supply for each camera.

Simple bullet cameras will require a 12 volt power supply, and you can use the "wall" warts to supply the camera with power.

For multiples of cameras then you will want a power supply box where each camera connection has its own fuse, or resettable fuse. If you have a problem on one camera (or wire) then the other cameras will not go down.

What kind of fuse box are you talking about? 120 volt circuits? Where else would you get power on a construction site?

There are starter kits that use telephone jacks for video, and power, and they do plug in to the back of a monitor. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TYPE OF A SYSTEM FOR YOUR NEEDS. When you want to make changes, or add ons, or upgrades you will not be able to as you are stuck with phone jacks!!! MAKE SURE EVERYTHING HAS BNC CONNECTORS, or at least RCA jacks.

Using the Dell monitor is going to be DVR dependent. Does the Dell have a composite input (yellow input connector)?

****** You would be much better off hiring a company to provide you a site survey, your products, and tech support! ******

The weakest link is going to be the lens selection. Wide angle lenses are designed to pull in the far left, and the far right periphereal vision. Things in the distance is not of relevance with this lens selection. Objects in the distance will appear smaller in the video than in real life. If you see someone in the video their face will be so small at a certain distance that you will not be able to recognize the person. Wide angle lenses are great for the whole picture. You can see where a crook came on site, and you can see where he walks up on items around the yard, and you can see how he approaches the building. This will give you the travel path. Having another camera trained on a spot where you can capture their face will give you "the who done it" video. The problem with lenses for facial recognition is that you do not see much "area" in the video. Having a combination of cameras, (or lenses) will give you the whole story.

You say that you want to be able to "jump" from site to site. This would be rather difficult per se. Do you have a trailer that you can tow from site to site? You could set up everything in the trailer. You will have to hide the equipment, (but not in a way that hinders airflow to the equipment). You will have to use lock boxes as well. You may want to install a battery back up system in case they cut the power. You can go to a spy shop, and you can buy a simple GPS device where you can use a computer to draw a map, and show you right where your trailer is if it is stolen.

Another design would be to have ATT (or what ever phone company is in your area) provide a static IP modem, and you can use IP cameras. Now you can mount the cameras on a pole, and then you can move the cameras from site to site. The cameras will send the video somewhere else for recording. I would recommend cameras that have a smart card, or some kind of internal storage. You will be able to see video footage from the camera if the internet went down, (or was cut down). If you are really macho then you can just yank the 4 X 4 post out of the ground, and take it to another site, and dig a hole! LOL!

Any manufacture to stay away from?

Thats a hard one to say. Some installers like "chevy", and some like "ford" so you will allways have those kind of "opinions".

Professional installers will never recommend DIY, or starter kits, such as what you will find at the "big box store", or "warehouse". You have seen enough of the gas station video on the news to understand what I mean. But then again at entry level price levels it is better to have something, then nothing! So you will see alot of these opionions as well.

The environment will dictate what kind of DVR to use, and what kind of cameras to use. Matching DVRs to the Cameras make a difference too.

I love phillips screwdrivers, but if you have a flat screw you will not get the job done, and vise versa. An installer has a large assortment of "tools" at his disposal to match each situation, and site design!

I have seen brutally expensive DVRs set up for the wrong job, and I have had someone hire me to fix his system! I am honest. I could swap the DVR for a cheap one, and get him going with his system, and take the expensive DVR, but I depend on recommendations, and referals. Could you imagine if you hired someone that would "steal" your expensive DVR instead of explaining the situation to you?

Then again residential homes do not need each camera that costs $2000 each, and a $5000.00 DVR! I would not want to put a cheap camera, and DVR system to watch the headquarters of the C.I.A. either!

I am not helping on your selection am I?

If you were to hire me to help you then I would have you send me the web links to goole where I can see your construction site. I can make my evaluations, and product recommendations, and "I can see what you see".

As for the $2000.00 price tag that is barey going to get you started. This will get you a four camera system easily with a entry level system, and you can get decent DVRs with 3 year warranty. But if you are doing your installation then it is doable.

You may need a vandal resistant dome like this for example rather than a bullet. Where are you located? You may need heaters, or blowers, or both for the cameras.

http://avssys.net/?s=product&sub=camera&cat=ir&p=vnd49ir

Here is some more info if you are doing it yourself:

How to run wires in attics, and drywal walls.

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=48

How to trouble shoot camera problems!

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=42

Here is how to fix your video source problems!

http://www.cctvforum.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=41

There is more if you click on the upper left ARTICLES

How else can I help you?

P.S.

Happy New Year Everyone!

I would suggest the ASC-AV4120160 - 4B24IR kits

It is a complete camera kit including the following:

1 - 4 channel triplex standalone MPEG4 DVR with CDRW and USB for video back up with a 160Gb HD, mtion recording (should get about 3 to 6 weeks of storage depending on the amount of motion recording setup)

4 - 24IR bullet cameras weatherproof

4 - 12VDC power supplies

1 - VGA adaptor (your Dell monitor will work fine)

If you set up a internet connection on site, you can review live or stored images and retrieve them if required.

Complete system around $1100.00

250.426.8100 is their main office phone number

We carry a 14" monitor/dvr combo unit that might be what you are looking for, check it out at the pegasus cctv site. Hope this helps.

We carry a 14" monitor/dvr combo unit that might be what you are looking for, check it out at the pegasus cctv site. Hope this helps.

Perfect solution for under 2K~