Sign in to follow this  
youngbb

why ip cameras needs optic fiber for long distance?

So many people asked for ip camera's long distance installment and control via optical fiber. why?

Is not an ip camera can be control and monitored via ethernet without the limit of distance?

I cannot understand. I think only normal CCTV cameras need this media (fibers)

Pls help me with that .Thank you

You may have a situtaion where your nearest ethernet connection is 1000 feet from your point of install so you would use the fiber with a media adaptor on both ends to extend the network connection to the far point at that point you would plug in another media adaptor and plug your ethernet device in either the IP camera or a swithch or computer etc.

ethernet is limited to 300 some feet and fiber is unlimited.....

Fiber is limited.... Bandwidth is limited. Not a distance. Especially on multimode fiber cable....

In the networking world GBit and 100Mb fibres run from building to building, floor to floor and long runs over 100m or so -its normal network stuff.

z

Standard networking will tell you the advantages of fiber. Some types of fiber are good for dozens of miles WITH immunity to interference. Copper attenuates at long distances and attenuation for digital logic is BAD. 100M or 328ft is your limit for copper with some exceptions to extending/boosting devices