Have been asked by a customer if I could install Network DVR and add VOIP somehow. Never done this, not even sure it could be done. Basically customer wants to be able to access a DVR with web server over IE, and be able to speak into PC phone/microphone ? and have it heard over speaker setup at his business. Going to throw this out to the more experienced on this forum with VOIP. Customer would be using High-speed internet at both locations. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated at this point. Many communities going to "verified response" and will not respond to alarms without visual. Thanks for any and all suggestions. Not given a budget of sorts, but just have to come up with something workable.

Just look for DVRs with 2-way audio. It is VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocols) as long as you are talking over IP so that even includes MSN messenger.

Most non budget DVRs will have the feature you are looking for.

If they want some kind of telephony product well thats entirely different.

In September 2001, Microsoft announced the Windows Messenger Update for its MSN Voice.Net initiative. With the Windows Messenger Update, MSN users can now make voice over IP (VoIP)-based PC-to-PC and PC-to-phone calls using the MSN Messenger client. These communications use the Internet Engineering Task Force's (IETF's) Session Initiation Protocol (SIP RFC2543). The announcement also highlighted several points:

* Windows Messenger uses standard communications protocols, SIP and SIP for Instant Messaging and Presence Logical Extensions (SIMPLE)

* Windows Messenger uses SIP and SIMPLE to integrate the multimedia capabilities of voice, video, and instant messaging

* MSN is working with Internet telephony service providers (ITSPs) to provide Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) origination and termination services for MSN users wishing to use the PC-to-phone functionality

This announcement is important to the telecommunications industry because it not only shows Microsoft's support for standard protocols, SIP in particular, it also provides an opportunity for ITSPs to have access to millions of potential MSN users and their VoIP-based minutes of use. With SIP-enabled packet voice networks, ITSPs can offer PC-to-phone call transport services to MSN Voice.Net subscribers.

You would be better off with a plug in on your web browser, to yell at the crooks or what ever,

Do you really need voice comms as well as the video?

If there is a burg why would you want to talk to the crooks, when it will only scare them away

Customer is having a hard time with damage to outside of store, graffitti, etc. Still trying to figure out how to do this. Store owner wants to be able to view webserver on DVR, view problem, and be able to stop further damage, etc. to store. I myself am just trying to figure out how to do this, and what type of microphone?? to use.PC based?? Actually, store owner wants some sort of loudspeaker inside the store, in order to be heard outside of store. Sort of out of my realm, and I do not know anyone who has done this sort of thing also. I am sure the technology is here, just wanted to see if anyone on this forum has actually done this with some sort of VOIP. Also, has anyone on this forum ever been involved in IP-based controls? In other words, controlling switches, etc. over the internet, using software-based programs? I am looking into this for another customer, just that this IP-based technology is not my "cup of tea". Need to learn , though.

Yah we even use controls over GPRS, via outputs on security devices,

I dont know about this loudspeaker thing and the mic, umm itd have to be written in for you I thinks ( into the sw your running for the dvr) could turn out expensive,

he should just invest into better cameras and maybe alarm etc, as he will never stop it by the sounds.

Yeah sounds like a real hard cust to please....

Don't think that better cameras would help here. Owner lives about 20 minutes from his shop. Local police will not respond to the alarm on his shop. He (owner) gets a call from his alarm company, gets up and gets on his PC to check his shop. Even then, he must call police and tell them that he actually sees someone inside his shop, in order for the local cops to respond with a unit. If they are just kids and they are not inside the shop, cops will not show up . This is why I thought of a Loudspeaker-type of system. Just the way it is nowadays I think. Definitely won't be able to pay for additional software, etc. I was just trying to see if this was out there, and ever installed by anyone.

I sent you a PM. We did it for a 10 store chain in Modesto. It's pretty easy, the only thing is you have to know which products to use. With audio and video it can tricky, especially if the budget is tight, and even worse if the bandwidth is limited. It varies with every situation.

Perhaps you may want your client to look at the VX-402REC from OPTEX as a trial/test before you follow through on your design/layout for the realtime voice feature that you want to do. See if the voice/warnings will even deter or stop the vandals near the property. You can custom record differnt warnings and change them on a routine to try and fool the suspects into hearing the same message. Dependent on the police response time window and if he has the time and resolve, he could stake out the store around the time that the first incident took place with a cell phone in hand, try to catch them in the act, but not to interact with them, wait for the police.

Yeah, I thought about the pre-recorded option. No "chain store" here. Very limited budget. Even trying to figure out how to use regular phone lines, then have relay that would to go loudspeaker system. Have some sort of loudspeaker system that can be heard throughout shop. Still thinking design of system, although my thinking is unpaid at this point. IP-type system might not be the way to go here. Thanks for all the opinions, though.

Hello Cachecreek, working with phone lines you may want to check out some of the Viking http://www.vikingelectronics.com/products/ some of their controllers have remote operation thru phone line with multiple relay and page features.Your client would be able to activate lights,strobe or page a warning on the fly while observing a intrusion/incident after his alarm co notify. You could intergrate this gear without any major changes aside from loudspeaker and lighting install. Ive used some of their products for remote thermo/gate/house control in secondary residences.