Sign in to follow this  
joshoowa

splitting video feed...

My dad wants to hook up a video camera to watch our driveway. How can I share the video signal to only 2 rooms?

The house is currently wired for RF cable, is there a way to tap into the cable and give the camera like channel 3 with some kind of topbox?

Or...the camera video is ran by RCA composite cable, can I split the video feed with a Y splitter and run two lines into each room. If so what is the most affordable route for that?

I've been searching but dont know the correct terms to search for, so I end up with nothing.

Using the home video camera - I'd get a Y splitter and run the RCA cables to each TV. If you've got the PS3, cable, DVD, etc running on RCA, get one of those RCA input selector boxes. You hook up a bunch of RCA inputs and then select which output to use when you want. With the RCA you could even loop it through the old VCR for taping at night.

Thats the cheapest method. Not necessarally the method to get the best results. But I know how reluctant parents can be to spending money on new technology they don't understand well.

Will it get the results YOU are looking for? Depends on the camera, the setup/glare, distance, and what you are looking to see detail-wise.