arielaj

mac support! Dang that ActiveX!

I just installed a great Avermedia 8 channel Hybrid Standalone DVR the AverDigi SA7208H. It's up, running, it's great, client was satisfied. Until he tried to use it with his macbook

Apparently Avermedia only uses ActiveX and doesn't support MAC, which can't use activeX.

I'd hate like heck to take the DVR back, and have to put in something else.

Moreover I don't even really know what DVR's use a Java client, except for the AVTech pieces of crap.

Any ideas?

Rock|me|Hardplace

Geovision has a jpeg viewer that works with mac, when you to the web interface select the modem viewer.

Or you can go with video-insight.

They have a demo client @ demovi.com

Should also work fine with a mac.

Best of luck!

Yep the Geo java viewer should work with Mac, I also began a Javascript version but it needs alot more work, however I heard geo is getting rid of their Java and going with something else in a future version.

I recently had a potiental client inform me that NASA uses Mac for video and therefore, Mac is the best. Can't argue with a client, BUT.........

If Mac was soooooooooooooooooooooooo great, why is it so hard?

I wish Mac was more friendly. I've lost clients over this issse. But the stats speak for themselves. Mac is unique and therefore harder to integrate.

I have a client that just bought a Mac. with OS X

It has the Intel chip, so it is compatible with MS.

You just download some software ...Vmware Fusion. (Google it), and install windows

It works real good. A lot of people have changed to Mac because of the problem of viruses, (and Vista), but if you use windows to access your DVR only, you wont run the risk of picking up viruses, but this dosent solve the problem with old Mac's. Guess youll have to spend a few bucks

A lot of people have changed to Mac because of the problem of viruses

I suggest they learn how to use the computer properly is all. I havent had any malware or viruses in 2 years, and even back then it was from testing unknown apps, as I still do till this day .. but there is a safe way to do it

I could not agree with you more Andy, I never use anti virus, I use Firefox and sit behind a router, and haven't had anything harmful to speak of in about 5 years, but I also don't download music / films etc. and am really careful what sites i log on to, and the usual precautions with Email etc.

Did your client consider using Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac? It's now abandonware now and could have Active X.

The issue I see here is that some companies tend to adhere to the Microsoft standard rather than an open and universally accepted standard.

If Mac was soooooooooooooooooooooooo great, why is it so hard?

I wish Mac was more friendly. I've lost clients over this issse. But the stats speak for themselves. Mac is unique and therefore harder to integrate.