arielaj

Apple Macintosh(itty)

So I'm basically up the creek without a paddle, having just installed a great 8 channel hybrid DVR in a client's office, only to find out that he won't pay me the remainder if I can't get remote viewing to work on a Mac.

Since Avermedia doesn't support Macs, any ideas on a good 8 channel that uses a java client?

Or ideas on software I could get that would get this up and running without eating a $1800 DVR?

Much obliged.

update:

I am attempting to install a VNC on the box, this way the user can simply VNC into the box directly.

After all it is a windows embedded PC. so it should work.

I'll keep you all updated.

Looks to me like he'd be able to upgrade his Mac to OS X and all will be well(see below)

http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html

"As Computerworld’s Scot Finnie points out, now you can forget about having “to choose either the Mac for its superior design or Windows for its wealth of available software.â€

Parallels worked, but the client didn't like it, and didn't want to install it on all his macs, so we figured a workaround- we put the DVR behind the firewall, and then installed UltraVNC (open source=free) on the embedded XP. It's a little slow, but it works well enough.

I was thinking of developing a Java Web server for embedded linux and XP boxes. Would there be any interest in something like this?

Parallels worked, but the client didn't like it, and didn't want to install it on all his macs, so we figured a workaround- we put the DVR behind the firewall, and then installed UltraVNC (open source=free) on the embedded XP. It's a little slow, but it works well enough.

I was thinking of developing a Java Web server for embedded linux and XP boxes. Would there be any interest in something like this?

Err.. are you sure you know what you are talking abt ?

First of all, it's not the webserver tat's causing the issues. Webserver basically just serve out web pages, to linux, window, mac, etc. All will be able to see.

It's the Client Program that runs on the Client that's the problem. All dvr comes with their own clients, of course some more popular one have 3rd party clients out there as well.

The Web Version Client of the DVR mostly comes either in JAVA or ActiveX. If it comes in ActiveX, that means it's native to Windows PLUS Internet Explorer Only. That means you can't even run it on Windows and Mozilla or Firefox .... It means that the web client program is written to work on Internet Explorer and Window combination only. By putting it into another webserver doesn't help. It still won't run.

As for the Installed Software version, it'll only work for the OS that it's written for. Period.

Some developer wrote the client in Java, which is more cross plateform compatible, NOT because JAVA is native to all plateform, but rather most plateform has a JAVA Virtual Machine written for it, thus the software would most likely be able to work. But take note, not all java virtial machine are written alike, so some specific task might not work on certain plateform, so you'll need to test it if it's not specific by the manufacturer to work.

Last but not least, if your customer doesn't want to pay you the remainder because it can't work on mac, and he NEVER specific his MAC requirement before hand, change it to CPCam/AVTech DVR. It'll work with MAC, but it'll be a piece of crap over network. But the key things is, it'll work. And also, the DVR will surely cost much cheaper than what you are giving him now, so you got cost saving some more. But before changing it, make sure it's written down in black and white on that if the DVR can work on MAC and Window, and watever other requirement he has, he'll pay you the remaining.

Sometimes I know what I'm talking about...

I meant that I was considering developing a Java Client, not a java webserver. I misspoke, and I apologize for the confusion.

Actually, Avermedia was kind enough to send me their SDK, and I've been hacking away for the past week. It will probably take me a lot more time, but I'm working on it.