metapts

Need a better DVR

I've purchased a few low-end DVRs (q-see and k-guard) and am not really happy with them - mostly because of the client software.

We do not monitor live video, we just let the DVR do its thing and then search for video when an issue is reported. The software on the ones I have is not very intuitive and seems to crash the DVR and/or client computer when searching for video.

Can anyone suggest a medium-to-high-end DVR that will perform a little better and have decent support?

I need 8 and 16 channel models, hopefully in the $1000-2000 range (the other ones were under $1000). I need to record at full D1 resolution, fps is not as much of an issue. No audio necessary. Must be network capable.

Thanks.

I need to record at full D1 resolution, fps is not as much of an issue. No audio necessary. Must be network capable.

Thanks.

Any reasons for recording at D1 resolution? Are you ready to add tremendous amount of storage to store video, which could cost much more than this type of DVR?

Well, I guess we're just looking to get as good of quality as possible on a budget. Storage is the cheapest part of the package.

So far, I've done a few setups at a couple of our smaller properties, using 4-9 cameras. At D1 resolution, about 4fps/camera, motion-triggered recording, and a single 500GB hard drive (each), I'm getting about 2 weeks or more of video at each location. That seems like plenty to me. If I need to, I can throw in another HD for $100, which is pretty low compared to the price of the whole package.

If something does happen, we should know about it pretty soon, and we want the picture to be as clear as possible.

What are you're thoughts?

i've been looking at pelco brand and covisec alcatraz

any thoughts on these?

As far as the Covisec Alcatraz is concerned, we can compete with price, features and most important of all, customer service with any major manufacturer. The Alcatraz DVRs come with 2 Year warranty, US based tech support and market leading reliability. They include features such as DVD burner, VGA card, USB back up, CMS, etc. which are optional on most competing brands (that usually means additional cost).

Can anyone suggest a medium-to-high-end DVR that will perform a little better and have decent support?

I need 8 and 16 channel models, hopefully in the $1000-2000 range (the other ones were under $1000). I need to record at full D1 resolution, fps is not as much of an issue. No audio necessary. Must be network capable.

Hello, nice to talk to you here. I suggest you have a look at Hikvision or Netvision products, which can meet your needs. The model NV4008HF can record at full D1, real time, no frame lost and supports IE view. It is much more cost-effective than Pelco