way2evil

modifing existing cctv system

That cam in DSC_0469.jpg Looks very much like a Nuvico NVCC-W27IR30N or a W28IR12N, sorry off topic, attic air handler but where does that condensate drain terminate?

That cam in DSC_0469.jpg Looks very much like a Nuvico NVCC-W27IR30N or a W28IR12N, sorry off topic, attic air handler but where does that condensate drain terminate?

it did terminatre in the gutter but they were removed when we redid the front of the house. it will be fixed when everything is done. if you look, the pvc pipe on the left looks cracked, which is for the old air handler. the one on the right is for the new one

edit: damn, your good. that was the model number.

Yes Ive used some of those Nuvico bullets with pretty good results for non critical applications, dont like their domes . Sorry for off topic: But are you using a condensate pump? or gravity flow with that drain? Make sure that your gutter system is always clean so the condensate water drains with a good flow. Ive seen a lot of attic condensate drains fail due to long runs and fitted in closed spaces that rarely are inspected before its too late, especially when air handlers reside over finished living space. Anyway good luck with your cams/system and house work. Best of health to you.

Yes Ive used some of those Nuvico bullets with pretty good results for non critical applications, dont like their domes . Sorry for off topic: But are you using a condensate pump? or gravity flow with that drain? Make sure that your gutter system is always clean so the condensate water drains with a good flow. Ive seen a lot of attic condensate drains fail due to long runs and fitted in closed spaces that rarely are inspected before its too late, especially when air handlers reside over finished living space. Anyway good luck with your cams/system and house work. Best of health to you.

thanks, i have no idea how its run. its a trane system that was installed but if i had to guess i would say its gravity fed.

I use those nuvico cameras for my basic installs were the customer is frugal those are ok cameras for general view. I never really liked tempest but thats just my preference.

Couple of questions:

Can you give us the specs on the power supply, I just want to check if there is enough power for all those cameras.

What are the lighting conditions around your house any lightpoles nearby?

Off tempest website 10 channel @15fps with 250 GB Hard drive:

High 77 hrs or 3.2 day(s)

Low 231 hrs or 9.6 day(s)

Also check your DVR some websites includung tempest say the 8000 series only go up to 12 channel

http://www.tempestinc.net/products/8000Series.php

sorry its taken so long but i will get pics of the power supply tommorrow. can anyone recommend some cameras for me especially for the driveway? i was thinking PTZ for the high camera over the driveway

you may be better off with a static cam but if you wanna go PTZ go Mini 10x, small compact unless you want a full sized PTZ...big footprint, just my opinion but after all that custom addition work do you really want a big PTZ hangin off it.

Thats a Altronix ALTV615DC10, 10amp, DC, remember you cant use any 24Vac cams with that PWR supply,in case you are thinking of adding any. Also that is a very sloppy wire job, I would consider that unacceptable.Im trying to see where the AC to board leads are....I suspect they are wrapped in that bundle thru the top middle knockout, if thats the case that is wrong and should be corrected, Altronix has a knockout accessible on the trans side isolated for entry (code) Really need to tidy up all that mess as well check any crossovers to HV, cant see a whole lot in the pics but see enough to suggest you revisit all the runs your installer did. He got so much stuffed behind that wire mold there is a cable sticking out possible pinch point....

Thats a Altronix ALTV615DC10, 10amp, DC, remember you cant use any 24Vac cams with that PWR supply,in case you are thinking of adding any. Also that is a very sloppy wire job, I would consider that unacceptable.Im trying to see where the AC to board leads are....I suspect they are wrapped in that bundle thru the top middle knockout, if thats the case that is wrong and should be corrected, Altronix has a knockout accessible on the trans side isolated for entry (code) Really need to tidy up all that mess as well check any crossovers to HV, cant see a whole lot in the pics but see enough to suggest you revisit all the runs your installer did. He got so much stuffed behind that wire mold there is a cable sticking out possible pinch point....

you completely lost me after the third word

OK, your cctv cams are 12Vdc or 24vac, some cams support dual voltage...meaning you can use either a 12volt supply or 24, You were asking earlier about adding cams possible PTZ...well if you use that PS you are limited to 12volt cameras, in so far as the question with the AC lead in to your power box it should be isolated from all your LV in the event that a wire ever get damaged it could energize you LV and create a hazard. The wire job in my opinion is sloppy, there is overfill with the wiremold, wire/cable hanging all over the place, looks like a mix of cat, power, RG.

I dont mean to sound critical, but when you pay a "installer" to do a job for you, its important to get in writing what you will get,a total breakdown itemized,cams,method of wire, PS etc. and never be afraid to ask questions on electrical and mechanical work, if your installer will not discuss then time to get another one, make sure all such work is up to code,for your safety as well to insure the performance of the devices. Get a book on basic cctv, and basic electric (low voltage/high voltage) just to help in understanding principles and then you will be able to understand a little bit more when a "installer" performs a service for you.

can anyone reccomend a dome camera for the front door? looking to spend 200 or less. want to be able to make out a face in the day. it will be well lit at night but still want IR

can anyone reccomend a dome camera for the front door? looking to spend 200 or less. want to be able to make out a face in the day. it will be well lit at night but still want IR

can anyone help? i am clueless at this stuff

Those are observations I've made myself. I try to set up more covert hi res facial ID cameras. I call it the "Uh Oh" cam because one of my installs actually caught an intruder at my friend's garage. It had no audio ... but you could read the guy's lips .... he said "Uh Oh" after he took many pains to avoid detection from the cameras (including two decoys) only to realize he had been caught by my hi res ID cam. After that he tried to disable it to no avail .. which only caught a better closeup.

Follow up law enforcement ... he only got pinched for trespassing and breaking and entering. He took off without taking anything ... and actually got recognized by the investigating officer at home depot when he was off duty. Go figure. Trial still pending last I heard.

Bottom line .... I've learned that just blanketing an area with cameras doesn't equal surveillance. As was mentioned above ... you can only see the how it was done ... not the who ... unless you set up the cams to get facial ID. What a client may think requires only 3 or 4 cams might actually require 5 or 6. It all depends on the property. I go into every job scoping with an open mind and reference my past experiences.

Cool story mate

Can you PM me a link to this hi res ID cameras?

Can i record this on a normal dvr?

We sell many Tempest DVRs.

You must set your system on 640x480 res, looks like you have 320x240. Their older caputre cards are not fast as the new ones, but their OS typically uses power from both capture card and video card. So setting to 15 or 18 fps should be decent, as it will not do nothing near 30fps. Even setting to 15 or 18 fps will not be the true.

General rule of thumb for Tempest storage:

4 Channel - 160GB

8 Channel - 320GB

12 Channel - 500GB

16 Channel - 1TB

Remember these systems as I consider are for remote viewing applications. Tempest is virutally one of the few on the market that provide simultaneous remote live viewing and playback.

Any issues surrounding the Tempest DVRs can be addresses to me. We are authorized dist.