rory

MegaPixel Cameras - Images and Demos

I consider myself a pretty helpful guy on here with little personal gain. Just check my 800 hundred something posts. I get a whole lot from here, but I also give a whole lot back. So I don't appreciate being vaugley accused of greed.

It's not parnoia, it's not greed, it's not selfish, it's not personal. It's smart business. There are certain things about my business that I will not discuss in a public forum for the world to read. Product test results are one such topic. The quality products I use I've spent a considerable amount time and money researching and testing. I've earned the right to make money for my work. I'm not going to give this away to just anyone looking to save a buck.

If you notice, the majority of the people upset by this are NOT business owners. That's OK. I don't expect them to understand. They are not the ones who have spent the valuable time away from their families that they cannot get back. They have invested nothing in the information I have. OF COURSE they want something for nothing; they don't recognize the true value of the products and services I represent. For you I have no sympathy when you fall victim to cheap HongKong crap and Sleezebay. Or when your "bargain" supplier won't provide even the simpilest of support to help you just make the stuff work.

I've wasted countless hours in my day prodviding detailed quotes and design recomendations only to have the potential clients use this as an internet shopping list and leave me high and dry. No more.

At the end of the day, I can only make MY customers happy. Not everyone else's. That's literally my business HOW I do it, not yours.

I consider myself a pretty helpful guy on here with little personal gain. Just check my 800 hundred something posts. I get a whole lot from here, but I also give a whole lot back. So I don't appreciate being vaugley accused of greed.

It's not parnoia, it's not greed, it's not selfish, it's not personal. It's smart business. There are certain things about my business that I will not discuss in a public forum for the world to read. Product test results are one such topic. The quality products I use I've spent a considerable amount time and money researching and testing. I've earned the right to make money for my work. I'm not going to give this away to just anyone looking to save a buck.

If you notice, the majority of the people upset by this are NOT business owners. That's OK. I don't expect them to understand. They are not the ones who have spent the valuable time away from their families that they cannot get back. They have invested nothing in the information I have. OF COURSE they want something for nothing; they don't recognize the true value of the products and services I represent. For you I have no sympathy when you fall victim to cheap HongKong crap and Sleezebay. Or when your "bargain" supplier won't provide even the simpilest of support to help you just make the stuff work.

I've wasted countless hours in my day prodviding detailed quotes and design recomendations only to have the potential clients use this as an internet shopping list and leave me high and dry. No more.

At the end of the day, I can only make MY customers happy. Not everyone else's. That's literally my business HOW I do it, not yours.

Well... do you think the non-dealers in this forum appreciate being obliquely called a bunch of freeloading thieves?

It's your business, run it how you want... but I think you can understand if people look askance at somebody popping into a thread like this, created directly for the comparison of images from various cameras... posting some pics, and then refusing to say any more about them.

Seriously... what's the point of doing something like that?

That's not only wasting the site host's bandwidth, it's contrary to the purpose of the thread, in addition to displaying a "nyah, nyah! I know something you don't know!" attitude... and that's pretty gratuitous in a thread where other people have been up-front about what they've tried.

And when you weigh in with a "screw those people who are trying to educate themselves... this should be a closed forum" attitude, how do you expect people to react? You say you're a friendly guy, but the resentment practically drips from your keyboard.

Look... I'm not trying to bust anybody's balls... the business world is tough. I'm in an industry that's about to be completely taken over by the friggin' government (ask me how happy I am about THAT... ). Try running a business under those conditions... at least most of you have some kind of autonomy, and are able to work for yourselves.

Blah... don't get me started.

You're wrong, about a lot. You've projected an assumed attitude/ intent that I simply don't have.

But, we've gotten extreamly off topic on this thread. If you care to continue the conversation, let's open a new thread under "Test Bench" OR send me a PM and I'd be happy to pick back up where we left off.

You're wrong, about a lot. You've projected an assumed attitude/ intent that I simply don't have.

But, we've gotten extreamly off topic on this thread. If you care to continue the conversation, let's open a new thread under "Test Bench" OR send me a PM and I'd be happy to pick back up where we left off.

Fair enough... then I apologize for misconstruing your remarks.

We don't have to carry on this discussion further... I'm simply responding to a perceived attitude, and an implied insult that I thought I'd detected. I'm glad to be wrong about that.

It's your business, run it how you want... but I think you can understand if people look askance at somebody popping into a thread like this, created directly for the comparison of images from various cameras... posting some pics, and then refusing to say any more about them.

That's not only wasting the site host's bandwidth, it's contrary to the purpose of the thread, in addition to displaying a "nyah, nyah! I know something you don't know!" attitude... and that's pretty gratuitous in a thread where other people have been up-front about what they've tried.

I think this pretty much cuts to the heart of the issue. I understand why some people here don't want to let the cat out of the bag on new technologies they're working with, especially if it's something new that can give them an edge over the competition... but WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THIS THREAD, you're right, it's sort of counter-productive to post camera images and then not provide any info about the camera.

If I made the rules, I'd decree that if you're going to post pictures in this thread, you must also post details of the setup used to create them (camera make and model, lens make and model, focal length if possible, codec, DVR, etc. etc.). There's NO point in making comparisons without all this information available.

If you don't want to share the details, then I think it's fair to ask you not show the pictures either - it defeats the entire purpose of the thread.

Unfortunately, I don't make the rules, so consider all this to be just "food for thought".

I think this pretty much cuts to the heart of the issue. I understand why some people here don't want to let the cat out of the bag on new technologies they're working with, especially if it's something new that can give them an edge over the competition... but WITHIN THE CONFINES OF THIS THREAD, you're right, it's sort of counter-productive to post camera images and then not provide any info about the camera.

If I made the rules, I'd decree that if you're going to post pictures in this thread, you must also post details of the setup used to create them (camera make and model, lens make and model, focal length if possible, codec, DVR, etc. etc.). There's NO point in making comparisons without all this information available.

If you don't want to share the details, then I think it's fair to ask you not show the pictures either - it defeats the entire purpose of the thread.

Unfortunately, I don't make the rules, so consider all this to be just "food for thought".

OK,I delete my post

sorry for inconvenience

Sanyo VCC HD2100, Fujinon Lens, Alnet Systems Software

How can I add screenshots in full res?

Regards

Mariusz

1119134679_2010_08_13_19_52_19_343_C01_DVD(PAL).jpg.92acddc35038690fecc97af1b341f567.jpg

I normally use tinypic.com, otherwise i use my own website to host the images. Not sure how it works by attachments here, though it does let you zoom the image larger then displayed in the post.

You'll have to put them on another photo-hosting or photo-gallery service, like Flikr, Photobucket, etc., and then link to them there.

I normally use tinypic.com, otherwise i use my own website to host the images. Not sure how it works by attachments here, though it does let you zoom the image larger then displayed in the post.

Attachment file sizes are limited to 150k...

Regards

Mariusz

Looks good! You're covering almost the whole area with a single camera. The distortion is obvious though. I would like to see this in full resolution and also at night. I heard only good things about the Sanyo IP cameras. The only downside is that they are not supported by many NVRs yet.

133699_1.jpg

133699_2.jpg

Is this an M12? Also, how did you get the temp display on the top left of the image? Is that a feature in the camera, or did you work that in yourself with some other module?

yep a m12 and there is a variable you can add to the text section I think its ~Tn and it will display the temp in F. Its the internal temp of the camera so you have to offset the temp by about -5C which gets it close to outside temp in F

So the camera is about 41 degrees warmer than ambient temperature (5C = 41F)? The operating temperature specified for the M12 is -22F to 140F. I'm wondering if that's a problem in really warm climates like Arizona where it regularly climbs 100F+, which would be just pushing the outer limits of the 140F range if the camera itself adds 40 degrees to the ambient temp, or if the 140F upper range doesn't take into account the internal temp of the camera.

yep a m12 and there is a variable you can add to the text section I think its ~Tn and it will display the temp in F. Its the internal temp of the camera so you have to offset the temp by about -5C which gets it close to outside temp in F

He meant -5C difference, so if it's showing a 26C (79F), it may really be 21C (70F) outside. I don't think it's that far off, when I played with it, it was showing 71F when it was about 69F outside. I didn't see any evidence of these cameras building up too much heat. The spec's show only 3W consumption which is a pretty small amount of heat to dissipate, especially outdoors.

But I do love the idea of showing outside temps, like for a web cam. Anyone know of an IP thermometer than can be intergrated into a web page with the image and temp (doesn't have to be in the same image, just the same page).

buell,

you can use the extio - it has the outside temp sensor and you can link it to the camera and use it as the temp on screen

as far as the -5c -- its more of a guess at the difference - will probably change in the winter -- I have never seen a camera at a temp above 105 with or without the -5c so I wouldn't fear putting it outside in AZ -- it gets pretty hot here in Chicago too during the summer

you can use the extio - it has the outside temp sensor and you can link it to the camera and use it as the temp on screen

I just got excited and did a search on this product, until I found out that it is a Mobotix product that interfaces with other mobotix cameras, and it also has audio, motion detection, etc. (which I dont need).

Is there a product that *JUST* does temperature, and will interface with any IP camera, and overlays the temp on the display?

(sorry for hi-jacking the images thread. I wont post anymore in this thread regarding this subject, and feel free to PM me my answer if you'd like, instead of clogging up this thread).

Thanks!

I would think that interfacing with *any* IP camera would be almost impossible, due to all of the differences in their XML schemas, etc. The Mobotix has an external serial data port for these inputs, which most cameras do not (Stardot is another exception, though. You can connect certain weather stations to them).

If you use Milestone, you can configure an unused camera view window in the Smart Client to display an HTTP page, if you could find a thermometer with a web output, you could display your view (or any other web page) there.

ACTi TCM-1231 mounted on the SE corner of my house for a view of my front yard, access to front door, and driveway.

IR is on of course. Will update with some day pictures when I get them.

135835_1.jpg

135835_2.jpg

Sanyo VDC-HD3300. I have a 50 watt light in front of my house.

Dusk

135961_1.jpg

Color at night

135961_2.jpg

IR short exposure

135961_3.jpg

IR long exposure

135961_4.jpg

Due to what I think is a software bug, using the IR long exposure results in a blown out daytime picture, I don't have the problem with my Sanyo VCC-HD4000 using the same settings.

Some comparisons. Of course, placing of cameras is little bit different, but not so critical, than images:

HD4000_2010_10.04_10_55_14.thumb.jpg.f8a0a120c15d485a36ca59883b8e38fd.jpg

HD4000_2010_10.04_20_53_56.thumb.jpg.36a8b7b16b5eab216288daee0d217609.jpg