ncdoc

Need help on DVR Card System for 96 Cameras

I have never used the PC DVR capture cards and software in the past so I am looking for suggestions. I need higher end cards that can handle 32 cameras each and it appears that most cards that are listed as 32 channel are actually 2 cards. If I am using something like a Dell rack server with the required number of slots can I install 64 channels in each server and access all cameras from a networked client or clients?? I am only looking to use 96 of the channels. Is it pretty simple to set up archiving to an attached iSCSI or similar attached storage system? Any help on this subject is appreciated.

I recommend that you stack three 32 ports DVR Systems, and use software like Central Management to manage/watch all 96 cameras from single. Keep the stability in mind, and don’t just look for a DVR that can provide you with the most port in a single system. I am sure you already know this, but this a video/graphics driven application, which requires a lot processing power, hard drive, creates a lot I/O and requires higher watts power supply with longer MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure), as the DVRs are running 24x7 with heavy load.

AVerMedia makes really nice 16 ports PCI Express DVR cards, that you can you stack two in a system to make 32 channels. It also comes with free CM3000, which allows you to connect 16 DVRs. With CM3000 you can watch 128 cameras at the same time on two monitors (CM3000 supports four monitor, but other two must be use for either E-Map or Playback and for alarm events).

I recommend that you stack three 32 ports DVR Systems, and use software like Central Management to manage/watch all 96 cameras from single. Keep the stability in mind, and don’t just look for a DVR that can provide you with the most port in a single system. I am sure you already know this, but this a video/graphics driven application, which requires a lot processing power, hard drive, creates a lot I/O and requires higher watts power supply with longer MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure), as the DVRs are running 24x7 with heavy load.

AVerMedia makes really nice 16 ports PCI Express DVR cards, that you can you stack two in a system to make 32 channels. It also comes with free CM3000, which allows you to connect 16 DVRs. With CM3000 you can watch 128 cameras at the same time on two monitors (CM3000 supports four monitor, but other two must be use for either E-Map or Playback and for alarm events).

Thanks, In between my post and your reply I was looking at the NV6480 Express card at AVermedia. This looks like a good option. I have some work to do on the computer selection and construction. What have you used for archiving storage? I was looking at a SATAII to iSCSI RAID that can handle 16TB in one unit and can connect to 3 computers. Have you used this type of setup or similar?

take a look at Video Insight. They are experienced in Coorporate level PC DVR's and can I have used them on Government type installs.

Are you using analog & IP camera's?

I've installed both the Avermedia NV5000, 1304's, 1704's, NV6480e & Video Insight. Both have pros & cons based on type of install.

I can help you decide and/or install it..............I'm based in SC and have clients up and down the east coast, references also.

PM me and we can talk...........[/url]

Pre-built AVerMedia PC based system that I buy from iLink Professionals comes with 5TB internal storage with SATA technology. Same system also has an external port to connect more SATA drives and/or USB drives. I think SATA HDD connected to external port can also be RAID without an additional RAID controller. Your option in above post "I was looking at a SATAII to iSCSI RAID that can handle 16TB in one unit and can connect to 3 computers. Have you used this type of setup or similar?" should work just fine. I have connected customers network storage (my customers' IT dept. had purchased those drives before they got DVR) for higher storage with iLink's PC Based DVR and they worked fine, and it's been working from almost one and a half year now, without any problems. From what I was told by some of the iLink dealers at iLink's quarterly training, that they have install DVRs for traffic monitoring, court houses, Police stations with huge amount storage.

6X 16 Channel DVRs or Mix them up with DVRs and NVRs depending on the cameras being IP or Regular. Keeping them separate means more stability but also means that if one (or more) goes down you dont loose as many cameras.