glocklt4

Too many camera choices, is there a good review site??

I'm a newbie to CCTV and I started a thread asking about some cameras for my home. There are just way too many cameras out there that I cannot figure out what is good enough for my application.

Is there a good review website that is unbiased and has samples to compare a bunch of different cameras?

I received my Avermedia 1304NET DVR yesterday but I don't have any cameras yet because I have no idea what to get! I'd like to get one soon so that I can at least test out to be sure the DVR works right.

Edited by Guest

The one thing you don't want to do, is go out and spend tons of $$ on cameras that won't work for residential. I need to upload some new video to Youtube, to show a basic residential system. I will send you a PM. Good luck.

The one thing you don't want to do, is go out and spend tons of $$ on cameras that won't work for residential. I need to upload some new video to Youtube, to show a basic residential system. I will send you a PM. Good luck.

Thanks! I have no idea what kind of video to expect as of now. Obviously in my mind I'm hoping for HD quality .

I always am amazed when someone robs a bank , in broad daylight, and the video/photos end up on the evening news, or in the local paper. The photos look so poor, that not even the robbers' Mother could recognize him. Poor camera placement, poor recording , etc. If you expect HD quality video, you would have to hire an entire crew from a movie production facility. I guess I challenge anyone to upload their videos and we will see the difference in equipment.

I always am amazed when someone robs a bank , in broad daylight, and the video/photos end up on the evening news, or in the local paper. The photos look so poor, that not even the robbers' Mother could recognize him. Poor camera placement, poor recording , etc. If you expect HD quality video, you would have to hire an entire crew from a movie production facility. I guess I challenge anyone to upload their videos and we will see the difference in equipment.

yep, that always seems to be a problem.

The problem with a home is you never know where they could break in. If I put a camera in a good position and height to catch someone's face breaking in my front door, then nothing is protecting my windows. I think I will concentrate on the walkway to my front door with one cam, and the driveway with another cam (I have a front drive house). I am having an alarm system installed Saturday with glass detection that would hopefully do something if the windows are broken. If they got through that without setting off the alarm, motion detection would get them and then they would have to go out the front door most likely with whatever they are stealing and then I'd have them on camera.

As you said, it would be really great if there was a big collection of camera samples listing model numbers and recorders. I don't "think" that the recorder would make as big a difference as the camera itself, but again I'm a newbie so I may be way off on that.

If you want HD quality video, you need to go with megapixel cameras. If you go with megapixel cameras, the DVR you bought is useless as it will only record SD video and probably has a max of a 500GB storage capacity when you will need at least 1TB for a decent amount of record time before overwrite. Based on the DVR you chose, you probably won't want to spend the money for megapixel cameras so I wouldn't expect to have HD video.

Unfortunately, a megapixel camera is really the only way to go if you want to cover every break-in point with only 4 cameras and have facial identification. Facial identification can be attained through analog cameras, but you will need a lens to zoom in. Once you zoom in, the person's face will be closer, but you lose a bunch of area that you will want covered.

I.E. You have three windows on one side of your house, but only one camera to cover all three windows. If you are not zoomed in with a lens, the perp. can break into the window farthest from the camera and you won't get a good shot. If you zoom into the farthest window, you might lose video of the closest window because you are zoomed in so much.

In my opinion, the camera is usually the easiest part, but DVR settings, camera placement, and lens choice are extremely important if you want media that can be submitted as evidence in a court of law.

If you are in a high threat area and you are serious about catching or prosecuting a criminal, you should look to spend $2500-3000 for a 4 channel system and get it professionally installed. Otherwise you have a glorified nanny cam.

If DistributorsReps/Manufacturers would send me the cameras to demo AND pay for shipping AND Customs (42%), I would start a camera review web site!

In No Particular Order:

Eclipse, KT&C, Nuvico, CNB have decent OEM cameras (eg. Bullets).

As for Box cameras; GE, Bosch, Sanyo, Panasonic, Samsung Techwin.

Extreme CCTV has some expensive but great Day Night IR cameras.

There are obviously others but just picked the ones I know best.

As for Dome Cameras, it will vary.

Not every camera manufacturer has a camera for every application, you need to shop around; example, GE has a wall mount vandal proof camera called the Brute - nice for ATM apps or anywhere it needs to be flush wall mounted and vandal proof (yes it is practically unbreakable).

In No Particular Order:

Not every camera manufacturer has a camera for every application, you need to shop around; example, GE has a wall mount vandal proof camera called the Brute - nice for ATM apps or anywhere it needs to be flush wall mounted and vandal proof (yes it is practically unbreakable).

Thanks for the list, that is very helpful.

If DistributorsReps/Manufacturers would send me the cameras to demo AND pay for shipping AND Customs (42%), I would start a camera review web site!

42%, ouch!!!!

2 things from my experience with ip cameras they are only good in a well-lit areas, they are still a little far away from low light apps.

2nd I have to agree with Rory on the Bullet camera picks and have to add Pelco & Sony to the box cameras list.

And I happen to have a brand new in the box Sanyo in the classifieds section for cheap

only reason for parting with it is because of the purchase of a couple of WV-cp484's

In No Particular Order:

And I happen to have a brand new in the box Sanyo in the classifieds section for cheap

only reason for parting with it is because of the purchase of a couple of WV-cp484's

Yeah I saw that, but I have nowhere to put it myself, nore any housing or lens

Can't help you with the lens, and don't even talk to me about housings! I have dealt with 3 different "Professional" companies and each one has tried to pull a fast one.

The first one offered an Indoor housing as Indoor/Outdoor

The second one said he was selling Pelco Housings and turned out they were "Pelco Like"

The third one offered an IP66 rated housing to only then try to switch me to their "House Brand" because they don't have the IP66 housings in stock, and tried to tell me that their no name housing was IP66 rated, when their website shows no rating.

The said part is that 2 of the vendors are on here!

I have had better luck from people OUTSIDE the CCTV industry then in it

Don't feel bad, the Alarm Industry is about the same. Everyone out for a buck, and no one caring about reputation.

Yeah, while looking for equipment, I'm definitely starting to notice that there is a bunch of knock off stuff out there from people trying to make a quick buck with inferior products.

I am convinced I am going to get an inferior product, so I just make sure I pay an inferior price, then it is all good!

I love my $55 outdoor IR color day/night cameras. I still need to put up pics, always so busy.

Vaughn

Can't help you with the lens, and don't even talk to me about housings! I have dealt with 3 different "Professional" companies and each one has tried to pull a fast one.

The first one offered an Indoor housing as Indoor/Outdoor

The second one said he was selling Pelco Housings and turned out they were "Pelco Like"

The third one offered an IP66 rated housing to only then try to switch me to their "House Brand" because they don't have the IP66 housings in stock, and tried to tell me that their no name housing was IP66 rated, when their website shows no rating.

The said part is that 2 of the vendors are on here!

I have had better luck from people OUTSIDE the CCTV industry then in it

Don't feel bad, the Alarm Industry is about the same. Everyone out for a buck, and no one caring about reputation.

You should call those vendors out so that we can be sure to stay away from them. No need to protect bad vendors. They have to learn that if you are going to try to pull a fast one people will know about it. It would surely help consumers like me.