hlegg

averdigi eb1504 mpeg4 security dvr

I am having trouble with my averdigi security dvr. I have tried contacting Aver direct but they are not interested and will not reply, so I need your help.

Basically I have 3 cameras linked to the dvr, 2 of them are on about 30m long cables from the unit. My problem is the unit stops recording at anytime within a few hours or a day or so. I have to turn the unit off, wait about 30 seconds and power it up again. It works ok for another few hours or days then stops.

Of course you can't have a security system that turns itself of whenever it wants.

I have spoken to the retailer I purchased it from and he is no help and says there could be a voltage drop causing it. But I have had the power outlet tested and there is no power drop.

With Aver and the retailer not wanting to know about it, does anyone have an answer of what is causing the problem and how to fix it? The unit is only 3 months old.

Regards

Harry

I am having trouble with my averdigi security dvr. I have tried contacting Aver direct but they are not interested and will not reply, so I need your help.

Basically I have 3 cameras linked to the dvr, 2 of them are on about 30m long cables from the unit. My problem is the unit stops recording at anytime within a few hours or a day or so. I have to turn the unit off, wait about 30 seconds and power it up again. It works ok for another few hours or days then stops.

Of course you can't have a security system that turns itself of whenever it wants.

I have spoken to the retailer I purchased it from and he is no help and says there could be a voltage drop causing it. But I have had the power outlet tested and there is no power drop.

With Aver and the retailer not wanting to know about it, does anyone have an answer of what is causing the problem and how to fix it? The unit is only 3 months old.

Regards

Harry

I have found Aver tech support to be very good. Did you open a ticket on their support website?

http://support.aver.com/

Whoever you are that replied and said to try Aver tech support I suggest you have a look at the site you asked my to try and you will see my ask for help is still sitting there from the 2nd Dec un-answered.

Perhaps you may have more luck by asking them the same question.

Otherwise I am getting really pissed off with the lack of support from Aver and I cannot recommend to them or their products to anyone.

Are you using Seagate hard drive in this unit by chance ? One reason I switched to primarily Avermedias, was their tech support. Never had one problem with returning emails or support. Anyway, check your HD and see what make/model it is. If it is Seagate, try changing to another manufacturer such as WD or Maxtor . I don't Seagate HD's in my Avermedias. Got this from Avermedia Tech support.

Thanks to you all for your replies.

The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda.

I guess the solution is to change the HD to another like WD or Maxtor, or get a UPS supply.

For your info the retailer says it's not his problem and won't change the HD.

It's a bit of a catch 22 as to which way I go. If I get a UPS and leave the HD as is and the problem is still there, then I need to change the HD. Then if I get another HD and the problem is still there then I need to get a UPS.

Either way the end result could be the same.

What's your opinion.....UPS first or HD first?

Regards

Harry

Whoever you are that replied and said to try Aver tech support I suggest you have a look at the site you asked my to try and you will see my ask for help is still sitting there from the 2nd Dec un-answered.

Perhaps you may have more luck by asking them the same question.

Otherwise I am getting really pissed off with the lack of support from Aver and I cannot recommend to them or their products to anyone.

FWIW My own experience has been much different. 7 tickets, 6 resolved in 48 hours and 1 that took a couple weeks for emailing back and forth. They have been very good to me.

I have had similar issues with other DVRs where it just turned out to be a HD the DVR didn't like. Is your HD on Aver's approved HD list? I use a WD 250GB right off their approved list - never any HD related issues.

I have not had to use AVerMedia support that much for the most part, as their products have been very stable. However, I have called Aver few times and don’t remember having any issues with the support. In fact I was very impressed with the fact they even have the support in USA. This was before I switched to one of the AVerMedia distributor who specializes in AVerMedia products and they are listed and recommended by AVerMedia as their #1 dealer/distributor in US. Now, I don’t even have to call AVerMedia support since I am able to get all the help I need from their distributor. Keep in mind that I sell over 20k a month in AVerMedia products alone and I would go out of business if I was dealing with your retailer. You must have bought the DVR from one of the retailers who are what I call "box pusher" for a nickel and dime. And they don't have any technical expertise or loyalty to the product or the company.

Far as your issue, I recommend that you switch to WD hard drive. My AVerMedia distributor told me that they have had problems with Seagate drives in past and I noticed that all their DVRs comes WD drives. If you don't mind I like to know the name of the retailer you purchased your AVerMedia Product from, so we are all aware of them for our future purchase. I will have my distributor look into your matter as to why your issue was not looked at. I think the problem is that some of the retailers and dealers don't take any responsibility of the product they sell and just sale anything that they can make few dollars off of and not learn/research on what will work the best with the product they are selling.

To all yhose who helped with suggestions this is to let you know that I have swapped the Seagate HDD for a WD and it is (so far) working ok.

Regards

Harry