dubwiser

protecting DVR from theft

Can someone suggest a good method of avoiding DVR theft in the event of a break in? There are the obvious ones like hiding it, locking cabinets etc.

I like to keep them in attics where heat wont be a problem but I rarely see those conditions. I've built pedestals above t bar, but again, heat can be a problem as well as access to the unit. I've also anchored industrial grade locking cabinets to the floor but most cabs (from experience) can be pried open.

Most of the DVR lockboxes I've seen look pretty flimsy and can be taken as easily as the DVR by itself. I'd like to figure out a better way to make this less of a vulnerability.

From my experience, DVR does not generate heat unless in a totally closed space. Therefore, if there is, put in above false ceiling may be an option.

Regards, Dove

couple things, you can;

- hide it.

- bolt it down

- lock it in a box

- remote the video storage via a USB storage type device

- setup a dummy DVR that "looks on" for the thieves to take

- instal a second IP camer for off-site recording of the DVR itself

couple things, you can;

- hide it.

- bolt it down

- lock it in a box

That pretty well covers it.

Also if it is a big system I had some boxes built that look like a breaker box, put all your stuff in conduit and you can't tell it's not a breaker box.

couple things, you can;

I really like this idea!

Most lockboxes I've used lock in the front very secure just in the back isn't as sturdy as I'd like it to be. In my setups tho I've ended up either installing a different type joint in the back or something like this below.

Typically works fine just takes a little bit more elbow grease... aka working on a brand new product. I don't see why manufacturers of lockboxes don't do something like this already on the rear of them.

Solid_Brass_Hinge.jpg.c8648b0524c4c42a0dca50b3de085ddd.jpg

Great suggestions from VSTman. Could you elaborate on remoting storage via USB device?

The dummy DVR is a great idea! Ill look into that.

Also, I haven't moved into the IP-based video surveillance world yet. Can you recommend a good place to start researching 'offsite recording' via IP cameras? I have static IPs available at every location in our company, so this would be a viable option for backing up events.

Much appreciated!

I have an old Time=Lapse VCR in my living room, next to the TV, with a big label on it that reads " Security DVR". Most burglars are teenagers, and probably have no idea what a Digital Recorder looks like. Just a thought.

Avermedia 1704Hybrid with Axis 207MW's. 207's are installed at the DVR site using local static IP & port. 1704 is programmed to 207's public IP address & port assigned. 1704 can be located anywhere "off-site" therefore making it impossible for anyone to get the video. just another trick if you can afford it.

USB? DVR has to be able to do USB storage.....use a 15ft. active USB cable with a USB drive connected to the DVR. Hide the USB drive in a desk drawer, false wall, ect. USB canle is just another cable........

hey Russ.........I like the sticker....

I had fun with an install once.

We took all of the items off the shelves and out of a pantry. We cut into the wall where there was some dead space in the floor plan due to a round entry way. Installed everything in the wall and placed the drywal back up, and then put the shelves back in then put all of the dry goods back on the shelves.

Also at a beach community house I installed a DVR in a lock box.

Problem one was that there was no place to put the DVR. I ended up bolting the dvr lock box lid to the ceiling with 2X4 up in the ceiling.

If you are familiar with lockboxes then you know what a pain this was!!

I had to mount it in a way so that when you unlocked the box the bottom of the box, and the dvr would not go crashing down on someone's head!!

I will keep this install a secret to myself!!

VST-Mans advice is by far the smartest and safest, installing electrical gear in finished wall spaces (covered/sealed) or drop ceiling is not a very good idea and in some areas forbidden), especially in a commercial facility. If the client requires a theft preventive DVR mounting onsite, build/install a hardened utility closet and charge for it.

I think the most cost effective way is the USB solution. It looks like I can extend USB repeater cables from 40 to 80 feet. This way i can keep a backup drive in other rooms if I want.

I have a bunch of 10 USB cables which would probably be sufficient. I can anchor the cable on the DVR end or the drive itself so if theres any yanking, the drive wont get damaged.

USB is still pretty slow though, wonder if that wont cause a problem with the recordings at some point. Maybe try E-Sata if it is a PC based using a mobo that has that feature?

For example, my approx. readings on the PC here:

IDE HDD

Access Time = 8ms

Linear Read = 58 mb/s

Random Read = 3.4 mb/s

USB HDD

Access Time = 12ms

Linear Read = 28 mb/s

Random Read = 2.4 mb/s

DiskSpeed is the program I use, doesn't test the writes, but from copying back and forth between drives, the writes are much slower on the USB.

Rory is right, use a SATA disk but instead of a Box with USB connection or Firewire you may want to use a Network Drive or NAS

Faster access/reading time and faster transmission bandwidth.

Just plug it into the network or to the dvr with cat5&rj45. If it's plugged directly from the dvr to the NAS then you need a cross over cat5 cable. Since it's cat5, you can hide it 100m away from the DVR.

edit: That's actually what I have running at my place a NAS connected to the network and the dvr recording and archiving in partition I created there. I could tell you guys where my NAS is but then I would have to kill you all D)....ok, ok.... it's hidden in my bathroom (yes I have network plug there, well I have 2 there)

Now that you mentioned that, I wonder how well Wireless would work, ever tested that? Maybe slow though and then ofcourse penetration issues with steel etc, but man that would be good if it worked

be careful of pushing USB beyond the 15ft. cable. my experience is that the distance causes problems in the link, despite advertise active USB marketing. I would not do it.

Would it be feasible to record during the day to the native drive, then after store close, record to the remote drive via ethernet or both?

I would hate to create a bottleneck in the system while recording to both drives as mentioned in the previous post. The DVR Im using is a stand-alone and pretty high end so Im sure it's very capable of routing data efficiently.

RJ45 in the bathroom??..........now thats dedication, but cant you get wireless connection in there? Im assuming it's for your network drive exclusively. I would have some explaining to do if I ever brought the lapper into the can with me

Rory I had never seen a exterior hard drive with wi-fi connection at work? Know that Linksys and Asus are testing it, might have come out by now. Taking all the wireless problems in consideration it will be a huge endeavour for them to get it to work without any package loss....lol

Dubwiser, the software I use for my DVR doesn't come with path schedule for recording... can only chose the path for archive and for recording. I have them both in my NAS but in diferent partitions, it's a 500g sata hard drive.

About the bottleneck, you mean in the network or in the drive itself? Don't see any problems running it on 100mb network, but you can always have a 1gb network running, if your dvr as that capability or if you can upgrade the dvr with a 1Gb ethernet card. About the hard drive, it works for me... I have a good access/writing/reading speed from mine, but it's not a heavy system. Don't forget that the NAS hard drive boxes are more common for 2,3, etc hard drives than one... I actually had an hard time to find one just for 1 sata hard drive in Iceland.... but I saw plenty of models for 2 and 3 hard drives ... i think that would solve your problem

be careful of pushing USB beyond the 15ft. cable. my experience is that the distance causes problems in the link, despite advertise active USB marketing. I would not do it.

Yeah, standard said, normal USB cable can run over 5m only. I used a kind of USB with amplifier circuit previously, each one 5 metres, and can extended by cascading. I used this solution for surveillance monitor. However, the cable requires driver, it works because I'm running the server on windows. I really confused if the same cable can be used with DVR appliance, as we can't load software driver to it.

Like to hear your idea.

Rgds, Dove