tommyxv

Too many choices - Need some help.

I have to install security cameras ASAP. I have done research online for weeks, but there are just too many options available. Here is what I am looking for:

Price Range: $500 - $600

2 cameras for viewing the front of my property and street.

- Cameras will be mounted under eve on a brick wall.

- Best Resolution for Day/Night for my price range.

- 65' range at night.

4 CH DVR (so I can add 2 more cameras later if needed)

- Smartphone/PC viewing

Thanks!

If my neighbor across the street has his outside light on, is a little dark. If it is off, its very dark. I though about installing a motion flood light that will go on when a car drives by or someone is walking by. Don't know if that would effect my camera choice.

This: http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1073 - is a very good all-around camera with excellent low-light performance. It does need SOME light, but will give you a great night picture without needing much of it, and without needing IR. I generally recommend a motion-activated flood over IR, for two reasons: one, you get a nice color picture rather than the washed-out white glow you get from IR; two, a bright light snapping on will usually draw the reaction of looking toward the source of the light... and if it's mounted near the camera, that means looking right toward the camera, for a well-lit face shot.

That Dahua is a good choice. It will do up to 7fps at D1 (highest) resolution on all channels, which should be plenty for you. They also carry the CNB cameras I noted above.

The Security Pros DVR you linked APPEARS to do a full 30fps per channel at D1, but it's not specific about that... and I tend to be leery about anyone who lists a ridiculously high price and then graciously give you a special "lower" price (note how it lists a "regular price" of $700!! - absolutely insane). If you think you need full 30fps, a Dahua Full D1 unit will do it for about the same "reduced" price with the gimmick.

Just wanted to post an example of the CNB Mona Lisa camera so you can see the difference in a real world environment. This is in a Subway restaurant with just outside lighting on the walkway. Top is the old camera, bottom is the CNB Mona Lisa.

Screen01.jpg.e0be97564ebe815820c44a96d469c281.jpg

Screen02.jpg.27f3fa2d11ebf773c3e730ef2aee425b.jpg

Thanks for the recommendations and comparison pics all. I think going with a bullet style cam would be my best choice as the cameras will be installed on a brick wall.

What do you guys think about this CNB bullet cam? I can buy it elsewhere...

http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/msosuhad606m.html

hi. the link is a good camera. but it has 1 let down which is the bracket. you have to chage it if used outdoors

Thanks for the recommendations and comparison pics all. I think going with a bullet style cam would be my best choice as the cameras will be installed on a brick wall.

hi. the link is a good camera. but it has 1 let down which is the bracket. you have to chage it if used outdoors

How come? That wont work outside?

Can this mount be flush mounted on a brick wall with just one hole for the cables to pass through? If so, maybe I can use the dome style.

hi the bracket is useless. it just does not hold. come winter and snow is also a waste of time

How come? That wont work outside?

I see, they would be mounted under eves, mostly out of any direct weather, with proper hardware to mount into a brick wall, but I will look into this dome wall mount then.

http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/wamobrforall.html

hi why look at a wall mount ????

mostly out of any direct weather, with proper hardware to mount into a brick wall,

its not the wall mounting it how the camera connects to the bracket. if someone throws a wet sock at it the camera will move.

If you're stuck on having a bullet the WCM20VF is about the same price as the one you linked to and has a varifocal and does as well as the dome in low light. I use one with external IR and disconnect the internal IR.

These guys are close to me....I think they carry it. Which cameras would you recommend from this page?

http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/dome-security-cameras.html

This camera is the one we've been talking about: http://www.cctvsecuritypros.com/1sosuhadccdu.html - same camera, they just tacked their own prefix on the model number.

However, their price is insane - "regular price" $460, "your price" $240??

How about "regular price" $149 for the EXACT SAME CAMERA? http://www.123securityproducts.com/vbm24vf.html

This is what I'm talking about, these BS prices that places use to make you think they're giving you some kind of special bargain (just because they like you so much, I'm sure).

Yeah... I see what your saying. I will use two of them for covering the front of the property. I might be able to surface mount them on the bottom side of my eves. They are aluminum panels, if I use toggle bolts, do you think that will hold the weight of the camera? If not, then the brick wall it is.

I know you said you do not like IR cameras, but I might not have enough light for these cameras at night. My only options are to install a motion flood, or just have a flood light come on at night. I'm guessing those LED type floods are easy on the electric bill.

I would like to install a camera inside my garage, which is total darkness. Can you recommend a camera for that?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, their prices are very high. Seems like double what you can get them for elsewhere - and not just the camera in question. All the prices there are very high.

I might be able to surface mount them on the bottom side of my eves. They are aluminum panels, if I use toggle bolts, do you think that will hold the weight of the camera? If not, then the brick wall it is.

I actually have one just attached to the aluminum soffitt with sheet-metal screws... it sags a little but it's on there. You can put a wood plate behind to secure it better. Or if you're feeling ambitious, drill a 3-1/4" hole through the soffitt with a hole saw, so you can flush-mount the camera. I like to cut a 4x4" piece of plywood, drill a 3-1/4" hole in the middle, then cut it in half, slip the two halves up through the hole, an align them like a back-plate. Couple short screws through the soffitt into each piece of wood to hold it in place, then you have a solid backing to screw the camera into.

I know you said you do not like IR cameras, but I might not have enough light for these cameras at night. My only options are to install a motion flood, or just have a flood light come on at night. I'm guessing those LED type floods are easy on the electric bill.

They are, although if you're using motion lighting, it should rarely come on anyway, so it's not a big concern.

Yeah, their prices are very high. Seems like double what you can get them for elsewhere - and not just the camera in question. All the prices there are very high.

Yeah, look at the 7th/8th posts in this thread

Soundy...you missed my question about the camera for the garage...

I would like to install a camera inside my garage, which is total darkness. Can you recommend a camera for that?

Same camera, with motion-activated light.

Think of it this way: imagine you're someone breaking into the garage... you're probably going to be prowling around with a flashlight. If a light comes on, the first thing you're going to think is, "oh crap, I wonder if I've been spotted" and you'll look toward the source of the light to see if someone's there. If there's a camera beside or near that light... you're going to be looking right at it.

Better yet, for inside: put some or all of you your regular garage lighting on a motion sensor, then put the camera right above the door. Dude comes in, triggers the lights, turns around to bolt out the door... and you've got him. Something like this also means you don't have to fumble around for the switch when YOU go in the garage at night:

191976_1.jpg

IR may allow you to watch him skulking about in the dark with his flashlight, and you might able to watch him taking things... it won't necessarily help you identify him if he keeps his head down. A bright light coming on will make him look around, thus improving your chances of catching his face... and ideally, it simply scares him off without actually taking anything. And if he does stay and take something, you have a much clearer, full-color picture of it.

Same camera, with motion-activated light.

191976_1.jpg

One of my clients has those installed in the bathrooms of all his retail locations. It was done to save on electric due to the bathrrom lights and fans being on for days, weeks or months at a time. They work great.