aytons

Newb questions... what is the max resolution for analog?

So, I'm pretty new to the cctv... Been messing around with Zoneminder for a few weeks and have a few web cams, an 878a based capture card, and a single analog camera. Pretty much in the testing phase.. This is a home installation with limited, budget so factor that into the nature of my question..

Over on the Zoneminder forums I've read that the max resolution one can get using their system with analog cameras and capture cards is NTSC or PAL standard of 320x240 and 384x288 respectively. I've tried interlaced and it's not for me... the interlaced lines in the captured video are annoying and defeat the purpose. I tried a cheap IP camera with a higher resolution, but the motion blur introduced made it beside the point...

On the flip side, I've read a bunch and understand now what CIF, 2CIF, and 4CIF are... I've scene discussion here on these resolutions and I've seen youtube video's at resolutions over CIF, so my question is, why can't ZoneMinder, a higher quality capture card, and a good hi-res analog camera (e.g., good quality, 1/3" had lens, 540TVL, etc) and capture resolutions higher than 320x240 or 384x288 without interlacing?

I'm sure a huge part of it is the capture card max resolution, and then perhaps the compression algorithm going into zoneminder (e.g, mpeg2, mpeg4, or h264)... But if that's the case, why can't I buy a capture card capable of 4CIF and use that with ZoneMinder? Clearly, with webcams and ip cams, ZM is capable of supporting higher resolutions...

Much, much appreciation if someone can please clarify this for me?

aytons

I'm not familiar with ZoneMinder specifically, but at a guess...

* It simply doesn't support higher resolutions with analog capture cards

* You're not looking at the right capture cards

* The cards you're looking at aren't using good drivers

* The people you're asking don't know any better (offhand I'd give this the best chance)

Highest NTSC resolution I've seen for any DVR is 740x480; 704x480 or 640x480 are more common, depending on the specific card and software. Seems to me I've heard of some that go a little higher, but of dozens of cards on the market, most are probably based on one of about three or four chips, so there's not going to be a lot of variation in real capabilities in the mass market. Since NTSC video maxes out at 525 vertical lines, it's really pointless to go much higher anyway.

So you get the "comb-edge" effect images? Looks like horrible interlacing? I know exactly what your talking about...

You just need to play with some settings... I was in the same bind with my 4-camera ZM setup. BTW I have a PV-143 from Bluecherry. Set all cameras to 640x480.

Go into your settings (In Config tab), and set CAPTURES_PER_FRAME to 2. It was probably at 1 before? This allows it to "settle down" and produce better images. You will no longer have crappy, extremely interlacing/combing. Your frame rate will be effectively cut in half if you don't have headroom - because it is capturing twice per frame, and choosing the right one.

Also, play with the option V4L_MULTI_BUFFER. Mine is ON, and it allows the computer to keep the frame rate up (work on one image while capturing another). This may make it mix up your cams. Give it some time to settle down...

Restart ZM after settings these. BTW, are you using Record, Mocord, Modect, or another?

What are your system specs? Are you using a card from Bluecherry? You may need to increase your shared memory allocation to have enough space for the bigger size of 640x480.

BTW, all analog stuff above CIF quality has interlacing. Its just not that obvious with good DVRs. Also, with your cheap IP camera, there should be settings for the shutter. Set them higher, and you will have less blur!

Soundy, would it be fair to assume I am the forums' resident expert member on Zoneminder?

I'm running Fedora 14 -64 and ZM 1.24.4 on a home built machine running a Phenom X4 with 4gb ram.. the server shares other duties as you might imagine, but even with 4 monitors, it easily manages the load.. the card is a cheapy conexant 4 port 30fs, though I picked up a used 8 port / 240fps that hasn't come yet.. the cam is a "Videosecu Day Night Vision CCTV CCD Home Security Camera Outdoor Vandal Proof 420TVL 3.6mm Wide View Angle Lens with Free Power Supply 1WX" I picked up on Amazon on the cheap.. the jury's out on it.. I'm thinking that if I can't get 640x480 to work without interlacing, I might as well go PAL on the cams and pick up 384x288 progressive and leave it at that...

With that said, I change the CAPTURES_PER_FRAME to 2.. the multi-buffer I left on, but it shouldn't make a difference 'cause there's only one device on the card. I generated an event and I'm still getting the interlacing.. it's especially bad when viewing the mjpeg stream at low frame rates.. It cleans up a little when I generate an mpeg video out of it, but it's still there. V4L2_CAPTURE_FIELDS is set to 0. I tried, 2,3, & 7 and all of them split the video into 2 wide but vertically compressed images sitting on top of each other (obviously a no go). BTW, I've been using modect... that's what makes the most sense for me I think...

I'm not too concerned about where I'm at now.. I've only spent a few bucks on a these cards and the one camera, but I just wanted to confirm if I can get get anything higher out of analog before I start investing in more gear.

Couple more questions.. If I ended up sticking with progressive analog, I'm thinking it would make sense to pick up PAL cameras since they'll provide a slightly higher progressive image size (384x288).. make sense? And, does it makes sense at these resolutions to buy anything higher than 420TVL? Will I see any difference at that frame size/resolution?

atyons

BTW, all analog stuff above CIF quality has interlacing.

Not so! There are cameras that have an option for progressive output (Pelco IS90 domes come immediately to mind as ones that I've used before).

Soundy, would it be fair to assume I am the forums' resident expert member on Zoneminder?

I would say you're right up there, yup

So, then are there any capture cards that could be used with zoneminder that could capture at d1 progressive?

aytons

That progressive stuff (above 320x240 NTSC) At those prices, it would be best to go with IP, which is progressive anyways!

I would say no aytons. Honestly, I think your best bet with ZM is to use IP cameras.

I am not sure why you are having problems still - with those options on my system, I get no combing, but interlacing is noticeable when a fast car goes by. If these images were needed for evidence, I would deinterlace them.

Ha, well yea, it kind of is. Think of Zoneminder as a Linux DVR software that was never finished... You always have some tweaking to get it right.

I have come to the conclusion that it is for tinkerers who can save money by tweaking this software. If you want to connect the cameras and be done with it, go with a standalone DVR!!