misterbones

Using Hotspot for Internet Accessible Cameras

Hi Folks,

I'm a complete newbie and apologize if this is in the wrong forum or already answered...My wife has a small business in another state that currently uses DSL Internet with a static IP which we currently use to access her Swann cameras (4) and DVR...She wants to get rid of her DSL service, in addition to her credit card system through a bank and go with Square. My plan is to get a hotspot/router through Verizon with a static IP and run the cameras through that (as well as the Square connection). I'm wondering if anyone has used a cell hotspot Internet connection (with or without static IP) in order to access their cameras...We don't use them often, just take a look once in a while to see if the employees opened on time, etc., but do need access in the case of shoplifting or break ins to take a look at and download the video (literally only maybe once every couple of months, tops). If anyone can respond, I'd appreciate. Any resources would be useful too.

The system we have in place (Swann DVR) is not likely to change...we can't afford a new system and it is not feasible to use a computer server on site because I would be the only person who could support it in case of malfunction (power outtage, resetting, updating OS, etc.) and I am 3 states away. Do wish I had a 3rd party app that could access and control the DVR, though...Swann View Plus sucks on PC (although the app functions pretty well on iOS).

Thanks,

Paul

Looks like a couple of questions if I'm seeing it right...

Cellular Hotspot

So not have a DSL (or cable) internet service at the business and use a cellular connection at the business.

I've done this for remote camera installations (construction sites, etc.) that don't have internet and yes, it is feasible (set one up this morning), but typically much more expensive.

Hardware - not hard

* Router that takes a USB inbound connection

* Verizon USB cell dongle

* Plug your DVR network cable into the router

* Configure router as normal (or the plug-n-play/P2P)

Cost:

Data-data-data

Even with your video settings dumbed way down (for the substream if that Swann DVR has a substream option), each and every time you connect to it for a quick-look-see, it eats up the data big time. Even logging on and logging off as fast as possible can eat up 10MB of data on your cell data plan. Lingering on the live video feed can use your data plan really fast.

Downloading a video of something that happened is another data-hog.

it's just simply pricey.

Compared to having a $50-80 DSL (or cable) on site, even at the slower DSL speeds is usually much cheaper for many people.

DVR

Even today's el-cheapo DVR's (and today's Swann's) have:

* remote internet connection/control through a browser

* remote smartphone access

If your Swann doesn't have either of these, the el-cheapo Amazon analog DVR's can be as little as $50-80 without a hard drive and may not be a bad mini-upgrade.

Static IP:

A static IP is a nicety so you can simply access using the same IP address every time.

Another option is to use a dynamic dns (google for "DDNS"). Some DVR's have a DDNS setting in them where they will update the cloud-DDNS with the DVR's latest IP address. So you would simply navigate to:

misterbones.cool-ddns-service.com (or whatever you sign up with)

and it would get you to the right IP address each time.

If you're a couple of states away...either static IP address or a DDNS setup is a way to keep connected without having to show up to get the latest IP address change from the ISP.

And Verizon (at least in my state) does do static IP addresses for the USB cellular dongles for an extra fee.