Sign in to follow this  
eganson

Bandwidth: How much does it take...?

I'm a bit 'network-challenged' here, so hopefully someone can help...

For controlling a PTZ unit (vicon vist25 or similar PTZ head) via internet, how much bandwidth will it take to insure 'no latency'?

Add a b&w video feed at 10, 15, or 30fps, 'no-latency', minimum file-size & resolution to be useable for recognizing a person within a 20'x40' room... 320x240? I have no idea what the bandwidth would be but 'zero-latency' is the most critical feature, second is image size, and last is image quality... (must be able to make out the gender & direction the person is facing at the minimum, following them real-time with PTZ)

If there's any bandwidth left, throw in a low quality audio feed with the video, some latency allowed in the audio...

If someone could help break down the bandwidth requirements for each it would be a huge help... I'm wondering if this can all be done within 1Mbps each way?? PTZ signal comes in, and video & audio go out. Only one connect at a time, but public access via broadband login/password...

Drop no latancy as a requirement. If you mean no lag, well still probley not going to happen. Darn close to real time yes, no lag no.

What codec do you want to use?

How many cameras?

...right, no lag time. The operator needs to put the PTZ onto the moving person in real-time via one internet connection. (assume the operator has good broadband cable, DSL or better) This is the sole purpose of the video feed; the operators 'eyes'. I'm trying to ensure that the video lag-time is about .1 second max, if possible? Operator fires paintballs (200-300fps) with the 'Z' signal':shock:' (<--target heckles the operator/customer)

...strictly one video feed out, and it can be any codec, so long as near 'real-time response' is maintained... what's best for this?

...if there's room, audio is a plus, and lag time is acceptable...

Site would dedicate 1Mbps to the PTZ in, video & audio out...

There is a gentleman who set up a website to let people target shoot over the web. But for what you want, probley not going to be feasible for the purpose of shooting a target. 1 Mbit would be enough upstream bandwith, but the latancy is going to be what kills you. It will also be out of your control. You can't control thier latancy.