View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: Help! Quick advice for home security system
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:32 pm 

Hi guys, I have been searching for a home security surveillance system for the outside of my house for a few weeks now. I still haven’t found the right system, hopefully you guys can help.

I started off with the very basic – a Nest cam for the front door. I was going to add 2 more Nest cameras but realized that Nest charges monthly for each individual camera. I really like how simple the nest cams are, how quickly the app loads live video and how accurate/quick the alerts are – which is the most important thing to me. However, the monthly subscription, clarity of the video and how expensive each individual camera is has me looking into a more robust system.

I have also tried the Arlo Pro system which was a joke. The video quality was extremely poor, the app was slow to boot, there was no live video and the alerts rarely worked.

What I’m looking for in a security system -

I really don’t need anything crazy but I do want my front door, back of my house and driveway covered. I am currently in litigation with a person that would potentially come to my house to cause damage/harm. I have always thought about getting a system for my house just for peace of mind but now it has become necessary. I really just need something that alerts me immediately on my phone and that will record the activity.

What I’m looking for in a security system –

Cameras -
- 1080p or greater
- Power over Ethernet cable
- Bullet cameras
- At least 100 degrees FOV
- Relatively inexpensive cameras – under $150 each (mainly because these will be mounted low so if they are stolen it wouldn’t be a huge loss)
- 3 – 4 cameras total

System -
- Easy to use quick loading app
- No monthly fees
- Either cloud based or local storage
- Ability to watch live feed from the cameras
- Ability to set zones
- I will only be viewing the system from my phone

I have done a lot of research but I still feel like I am very much a novice to this. I haven’t been able to find the right system. I have been looking into NVR systems just so that I can avoid monthly fees and have the recordings backed up. I have also heard of (don’t really understand) using Blue Iris. The closest I found is –
Reolink RLN8-410 NVR – https://reolink.com/product/rln8-410/
Reolink RLC-411 Camera - https://reolink.com/product/rlc-411ws/

I really like everything about the cameras but the NVR seems like it might be a little overkill? Price is not really an issue, I just want to make sure this is what I actually need. Does anyone have any suggestions based on the things I’m looking for in a system? All input is welcome. Thanks!

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]