Several manufacturers make a 3MP camera with a 5MP sensor. One of the early ones was Messoa with their NCR875. The GoPro use a 5MP sensor to output 1080P.

I don't see better night time sensitivity with on the new D15 over the D14 and not much better over the M12 and I think the new 5MP day sensor is the worst I've seen from Mobotix.

The new M15 will have dual modular sensors and come in 3 versions, Day, Night and Night LPF

Also new is the 5MP sensor that has 4 times the low light capability compared to the 3MP.

Big price difference between $1100 and $6200 for thermal.

I used to like Mobotix but not sure these are up to snuff. When recording to NAS for example, the best frame rate I got in 3MP mode (there is no 5MP mode, just marketing), is about 5-6 fps in the poorest quality setting which is pretty bad. At the highest quality setting, it was closer to 2-3 fps. Recording to Milestone was a little better, maybe about 8 fps in the higher quality mode, but certainly not 20fps advertised. My guess is there's just not enough processing power in this camera to keep up with the new sensor and new features.

As for the 4x more light sensitive, I would agree with that number if that's the entire criteria but it appears that higher gain was introduced to achieve that at the compromise of noise. I actually like the low light capability of say the M12 over the new sensors. But where it really falls apart is during the day where it's overly sensitive and causes parts of the image to blow out. For example, I was watching the landscape contractor mowing a lawn and his dark colored jacket was totally blown out because of the sun shining on it. Actually replaced one with the an older model Mobotix and it did much better during the day and while it wasn't as light sensitive, what it did see what cleaner with a nice crisp contrast at night.

For the $1,768 USD for the Day/Night M15 with preinstalled lenses, not sure even if money was no object that this is the right camera.

If anyone has achieved 20fps as advertised in 3MP mode in decent quality with NAS recording, please let me know how?

The M15 production was delayed, with its official release back in June 2013...

We have published a video tutorial of the MOBOTIX M15, that includes the hardware specs here >> MOBOTIX M15 Hardware Overview

Simon what has been your findings about frame rate on the 15 series cameras? I have not had a chance to install one yet, so I am looking for some info.