davidasman

IP Camera / NVR Help? (n00b)

I currently have several PC-DVR (GeoVision & AverMedia) systems which run analog cameras. I'm ready to ditch the existing analog cameras & PC-DVRs and move up to the HD IP world...

I'm thinking about ~45 of the Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I cameras, though if there's a better option in the price range I'm open to ideas!

As far as NVR stuff goes I'm lost. I need to keep about a week's worth of video, remote web accessibility (both PC & Mac) and iOS viewing functionality.

Recommendations? Thanks so much in advance!

I would pick up a SWANN kit which provides 4 or 9 HD 1080p 3MP camera kit from Costco for under 1000$ Works amazing.

If you would record 45 cameras (3Mbit/s bitrate) 24/7, to keep recordings for a week you would need around 10-15TB or storage.

Same amount with record on motion and motion ~50% of the day would need around 5TB.

Best option would be PC based NVR and since its 45 3mp cameras you probably need some processing power, so depending on software you're gonna use, you probably need quadcore i5/i7 and some 4-8GB of ram (ram is cheap so i would go with 8GB).

Then the software. We're developing a VMS on our own, and i'm not too familiar with other VMS software, so someone else might be better answering this question.

Pick something that can handle all your 45 cameras and has useful features you need. I think most VMS manufacturers have some kind of trial or free version you can try out.

If its supposed to be a recorder that sits in server room and is only used when a crime (or such) happens, features for big control rooms are not necessary and choosing a VMS that doesnt have these might be cheaper. If its gonna be on everyday use, make sure it's very easy to use and has all the features that are required.