Sign in to follow this  
Jimbob 999

Connecting NVR to a Monitor in another room

You're probably thinking that's easy, just put the monitor onto the network IP and view the cameras, however there's a slight twist.

This building currently doesn't have any Internet or network setup, although in the future it will be (but we're talking potentially a couple of years down the line).

So my situation ;

4 IP Cameras all run back to the NVR in a secure room.

I want to have a Monitor to be able to view the live footage (and possibly recorded footage) in a separate room.

I only want the monitor to view the CCTV, doesn't have to do anything else at all.

The monitor is roughly 15/20m away from the NVR, through a couple of walls.

So options that I can think of so far ;

1) Run a Hdmi to Cat5 Extender/Converter. So basically one plugged into the NVR and one plugged into the Monitor, then run CAT5 to join them.

Pros - Fairly inexpensive.

Cons - More wiring to run. Makes it very difficult to view recorded footage or change any settings, as the NVR mouse/controls would be in the sperate room to the monitor, so without getting a spare monitor next to the NVR to swap it over I have no idea how you'd view it.

2) Get myself a router, plug it into the NVR and set it up in the small secure room. Get myself a cheap computer with a WiFi adapter/dongle and then view them on the network IP.

Pros - No wiring. I'd hope you could playback footage and change settings through the compute, so no need to use the NVR controls? Not sure if this is possible or not.

Cons - Cost. More expensive, although I will need need a router for the future. So just the computer cost (wouldn't need anything fancy), and just the inconvenience of having a computer box next to the monitor.

3) Anybody else got any suggestions?

Many Thanks

IMG_20181122_091610-1751x1313.thumb.jpg.58ad0eb39d0720c924afb83e4278fa6a.jpg