roughyear

CNB DVR hard drive failure/password reset

Hello all,

I purchased/had installed for my home a camera security system using the CNB HDE2424DV and Nuvico dome cameras. It has 8 channels, I'm only using 6 cameras. The login screen has drop down input for either Admin or User and the password input is for upto 8 numeric.

The system was installed in 2011... well last year my hard drive failed (Seagate) and was able to get that HDrive RMA'd directly to Seagate free of charge, as that drive had a 5 year warranty!!!

Well when I went to install the drive, in order to format the hard drive, the password would not work. I tried every variation I could, but without success. I contacted CNB-USA to see if they could help, and they refused, stating they don't release password resets to the end-user and instructed me to call the installer. I explained to them that the company that installed the system went out of business. Their next offer was for me to send in the DVR to them, at my expense both ways... I told them I didn't wanna unhook all those camera cables and risk further damaging of the unit in transit without proper packaging.. I just want to reset the password. I haven't heard from them since last year.

Well... what's taking me so long to do something about it... a few days ago, some idiot neighbor and his dog decided to leave me a fecal suprise all over my driveway...man, I was pissed... of course had I had the darn system operational, I'd caught who made the lovely deposit. Thus, I'm now more than eager to get this unit fixed.

I once again, tried a zillion combination of typical passwords (numbers) I'd use, without success... feeling defeated, I decided to just do a RESET on the back of the unit... when I did that, I got a CONFIRM password screen.. thinking I could just use the default 1111 as the password and go from there, that's what I did.. but that did not work... so I did the reset button again... this time it restored my original images/camera shots and their original titles (driveway, side of house, front house...etc).

So.. I'm now just shaking my head with defeat. Can somebody please let me know if there is a master password to this unit, if not, then how else I may access the password or even doing a full system reset (I'd like not to reset the unit to default, as I don't want to have to reprogram all that the original installer did...though I forgot how to even remotely access the darn system, so I might have to do that regardless)... the system is on my home network (ethernet) with it's own IP address. I tried to telenet into the DVR, but says could not access system on port 23.

I did use a program called CalculateCode, which generate a password based on date and time... but that didn't work.

Thanks for reading and any possible help.

Client's place way too much financial pressure on installers to cut their prices and wonder why their installer disappears and goes out of business. Frankly That's it now, chuck it in the nearest river and get a new one. You can still get your HDD in the new one but.

Areen't people wonderful they set the password as a security measure and wonder why manufacturer won't assist them to overcome the password, ARE YOU SURPRISED? Don't take it personally, thye just do that to stop their equipment being used thieves and people that buy used DVRs in suspicious circumstances. You explained that the password didn't work and frankly I know that sometimes happens so you are in a difficult position.

My suggestion is to call out a technician that also sells that brand and show them the 'original bill of sale' they will probably get a code generated for you if they are satisfied you proved to be the legitimate owner which we have no doubt you are

The reason my installer/company went out of business was due to the owner's medical condition/heart attack. He had a few employees, but obviously the company could not survive without his financial input. I paid him over $4k for the system.

any help ..... PLEASE!!

Screenshot login menu?

Firmware link?

Can telnet access (possibility)?

Photo DVR motherboard! (best quality)?

The reason my installer/company went out of business was due to the owner's medical condition/heart attack. He had a few employees, but obviously the company could not survive without his financial input. I paid him over $4k for the system.

Yep I know exactly how he must have felt...

Try to use RS232 port on your DVR and connect it null modem cable to PC.

Use Hyperterminal & try to see boot log

Matherborad photo is very bad!

You try telnet aces to your DVR?

sorry about the motherboard pic.... the unit is tucked into a cabinet and the wires are to short to pull the unit all the way out without having to disconnect them all.

I can try to get a wider shot of the motherboard if that would help.

Which null modem cables connect to modern day laptops? As I know my laptop doesn't have an input for those types of connections

I tried to telnet into the DVR, but says could not access system on port 23.

Which null modem cables connect to modern day laptops? As I know my laptop doesn't have an input for those types of connections

use usb2RS232 adapter for yot laptop nullmodem cable to your DVR