Sign in to follow this  
hxdrummerxc

Can't get motion detection set up properly on new Dahua DVR

Ok so I just upgraded my system a little over a month ago. I was previously running an older 4 channel LTS analog DVR with a 500gb HDD. I wanted to add more cameras and get better quality so I upgraded to an 8 channel Dahua Tribrid DVR (HCVR5108H-S2) that would still accept my 4 analog cameras, as well as new HD ones.

Everything is going good. The new DVR interface is much more user friendly with a lot more options, and the two new 1080p cameras that I put up look GREAT.

The problem is the motion detection with this DVR SUCKS!

I had motion detection set up on my old DVR and everything was great. A few false alarms here and there, but nothing really bad.

The new DVR is insane. I have messed with the settings about 1,000 times and nothing works. I get so many false alarms that is just unusable. Literally within a couple of days I will have to delete over 2,000 emailed alerts from my gmail account. I went just 1 week once and had almost 6,000 emails just from my motion detection.

I literally sat there for hours working on each camera individually, I had my wife walk around in front of the camera, I would bring the sensitivity all the way down until it wouldn't detect her, then I would raise it just enough to where it would barely catch her. Then I adjusted the threshold the same way. Still the next day around 10am the alerts start rolling in. Its always the sun. Every single time the sun goes behind a cloud and comes back out BAM three emails get sent PER CAMERA. (5 cameras, is instantly 15 emails). (That is another annoying part about this dvr, my old DVR sent me one email message with all of the details and a picture, this DVR sends me three...... one message to let me know there was a motion, another message with a picture, and another telling me that the motion is cleared.)

I have tried everything. Right now I have the settings turned down so low that they will not detect a person at all. I have the sensitivity all the way at 40 (out of 100) and the threshold at 30. I could go out there right now and run around in circles and it is not going to detect me. But I still get a ton of false alarms from the sun.

Before this setting, I tried using a super low sensitivity with a low threshold. (sensitivity of less than 30, threshold of 4). It detected people, didn't detect my 60 pound dog, but still got tons of false alarms from the sun.

Im to the point of giving up. I almost want my old box back. One could say that its the cameras, but it can't be. It didn't do this with my old box (same cameras).

So today I went to try and play around with the Anti-dither and I realized that it was set at 5 seconds. I tried to lower that and apparently this DVR will not let you lower it past 5 seconds. Any number that I enter below 5, it will automatically revert back to 5. Same thing with the Delay, 10 seconds is the minimum on this box. Anything that I enter under 10s automatically reverts back to 10.

Its nice having a new box with a couple new HD cameras, but I feel like its pointless because I lost a KEY functionality of my old box. A proper working motion detection. My phone goes off so much at work from alert emails, that my co-workers get aggravated. I then have to turn my sound off, or remotely log into my DVR and shut the motion detection off.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Ok so I just upgraded my system a little over a month ago. I was previously running an older 4 channel LTS analog DVR with a 500gb HDD. I wanted to add more cameras and get better quality so I upgraded to an 8 channel Dahua Tribrid DVR (HCVR5108H-S2) that would still accept my 4 analog cameras, as well as new HD ones.

Everything is going good. The new DVR interface is much more user friendly with a lot more options, and the two new 1080p cameras that I put up look GREAT.

The problem is the motion detection with this DVR SUCKS!

I had motion detection set up on my old DVR and everything was great. A few false alarms here and there, but nothing really bad.

The new DVR is insane. I have messed with the settings about 1,000 times and nothing works. I get so many false alarms that is just unusable. Literally within a couple of days I will have to delete over 2,000 emailed alerts from my gmail account. I went just 1 week once and had almost 6,000 emails just from my motion detection.

I literally sat there for hours working on each camera individually, I had my wife walk around in front of the camera, I would bring the sensitivity all the way down until it wouldn't detect her, then I would raise it just enough to where it would barely catch her. Then I adjusted the threshold the same way. Still the next day around 10am the alerts start rolling in. Its always the sun. Every single time the sun goes behind a cloud and comes back out BAM three emails get sent PER CAMERA. (5 cameras, is instantly 15 emails). (That is another annoying part about this dvr, my old DVR sent me one email message with all of the details and a picture, this DVR sends me three...... one message to let me know there was a motion, another message with a picture, and another telling me that the motion is cleared.)

I have tried everything. Right now I have the settings turned down so low that they will not detect a person at all. I have the sensitivity all the way at 40 (out of 100) and the threshold at 30. I could go out there right now and run around in circles and it is not going to detect me. But I still get a ton of false alarms from the sun.

Before this setting, I tried using a super low sensitivity with a low threshold. (sensitivity of less than 30, threshold of 4). It detected people, didn't detect my 60 pound dog, but still got tons of false alarms from the sun.

Im to the point of giving up. I almost want my old box back. One could say that its the cameras, but it can't be. It didn't do this with my old box (same cameras).

So today I went to try and play around with the Anti-dither and I realized that it was set at 5 seconds. I tried to lower that and apparently this DVR will not let you lower it past 5 seconds. Any number that I enter below 5, it will automatically revert back to 5. Same thing with the Delay, 10 seconds is the minimum on this box. Anything that I enter under 10s automatically reverts back to 10.

Its nice having a new box with a couple new HD cameras, but I feel like its pointless because I lost a KEY functionality of my old box. A proper working motion detection. My phone goes off so much at work from alert emails, that my co-workers get aggravated. I then have to turn my sound off, or remotely log into my DVR and shut the motion detection off.

Does anyone have any ideas?

You cannot use pixel based motion on NVR's for reliable alerts...your old unit was likely set to a high threshold and you were missing lots of actual events...

There are likely some settings to adjust...hopefully someone who uses dahua NVR's can chime in and help you reduce some of the false alerts..you likely have an improper setting for the sensitivity or the threshold..