CCAM

Problem with Metal Halide lighting?

I recently installed some color domes in a retail store that uses metal halide lighting in the main retail area. In the back of the store is regular flourescents.

The cameras in the retail area are constantly changing shades of colors and brightness. The same cameras are rock solid in the areas where the flourescent lights are.

There is even one point where one of the cameras that is mainly under flourescents, you can see some of the halide light hitting part of a wall and the color changes are also noticable there, but only as a "shadow" on the wall, not the entire image like the other cameras.

These are 1/3" Sony cameras, some with 6mm some with 4mm lenses. Other than this issue these seem to be relatively decent cameras for the price.

Anyone have a clue what is causing this or better yet how to cure it?

Thanks in advance...

Do the cameras have the ability to turn off the automatic light control? It could be that or if the cameras have automatic white balance. Somehow the camera is reacting to a shifting light frequency and trying to compensate automatically. If you have any switches that can be turned to manual I would give that a try. You may have to resort to domes that use auto-iris lenses instead of electronic iris light adjustment.

...turns out the manufacturer wanted to save about $.03 and left some DIP switches off...it took me a while, but I finally was able to remove 1 resistor from the board and now it works perfectly (AES was turned on permanently and needed to be turned off).

Thanks for the response, BTW