Sign in to follow this  
plert22

Adapter from BNC to Security First RJ11 connector

I have a Security First model 5005 surveillance system which uses RJ11 connectors to the cameras and DVR (cable ends in two wires for power and video). The DVR died and there is no one to repair it. I have to buy a new system, but all systems are using BNC connectors with two cables to the camera and BNC to the DVR.

Please if you can recommend a connector it would be appreciated.

I don't want to run cables again, first time it was a lot of work including hiding them.

Thanks

Hugo

Hello Hugo.

The reason the system you have is unrepairable is because the manufacturer wanted it that way. They ignored standad connectors in favour of something the majority of home users could manage. A marketing decision I am certain.

Unfortunately, there is no simple solution, other than replacing everything. The GOOD NEWS of course is that you can use the existing cables to pull the new cables through. A good technique in using PVC insulation tape is required and maybe use some liquid detergent or car wax to lube up the cables.

Don't buy a new system and not get the best out of it just because you don't want to re run cables. It's definitely worth the effort.