Sign in to follow this  
cokestone

Connect 19 cameras on a 18 CCTV power supply

I have a CCTV power supply for 18 cameras and I have 19 cameras to power up. Is it possible to share the 1 power channel with 2 cameras?

Cameras specs: DC 12V / 500 mA each.

Power supply specs: DC 12V, 250W to split in 18 channels (20A)

Thanks,

Maybe - it depends on how your power supply is designed. On a simplistic level you have a 20A supply split over 18 channels. That gives a smidgen over 1A / chan. Your cameras require 0.5A each so in theory you could (just) run 2 cameras on one channel but you are sailing close to the wind. The other problem is the built in protection. If it is a fuse per chan then you may need to up the size but if it is PTC protection then you may need to get the soldering iron out. The better way would be to buy a smps to run the 19th camera

Maybe - it depends on how your power supply is designed. On a simplistic level you have a 20A supply split over 18 channels. That gives a smidgen over 1A / chan. Your cameras require 0.5A each so in theory you could (just) run 2 cameras on one channel but you are sailing close to the wind. The other problem is the built in protection. If it is a fuse per chan then you may need to up the size but if it is PTC protection then you may need to get the soldering iron out. The better way would be to buy a smps to run the 19th camera

Thanks for you reply,

Yes, it's a fuse per chan so I can up the size of it. But as you say, I have 1,1A per chan and it's too close.

I'll buy a smps then.

BUT (now that I've had breakfast & my mind is working) what we are really talking about is TOTAL capability. You have 19 cameras @ 500mA = 9.5A. Power supply is good for 20A. The distribution over the 18 channels is only done by your 18 x 1A fuses. So you should be able to change one fuse to 1.5 or 2 A and run two cameras off it with no problems.

BUT (now that I've had breakfast & my mind is working) what we are really talking about is TOTAL capability. You have 19 cameras @ 500mA = 9.5A. Power supply is good for 20A. The distribution over the 18 channels is only done by your 18 x 1A fuses. So you should be able to change one fuse to 1.5 or 2 A and run two cameras off it with no problems.

Yes, that was my first thought, 9.5A in total. But I thought that each cha could only provide 1A max.

Thanks!