tyman00

Excessive HDD usage? Did I configure it wrong?

Hello everyone,

I finally got out GV-1480 installed this past weekend but because of some other issues I ended up having to head home early (125 miles away) without spending much time configuring it. I do have VNC access to the machine but nothing else remote setup yet.

I have 12 cameras connected currently. The night I connected the cameras I noticed that some of the cameras had a little noise when the lights were off (not the greatest cameras so I am sure I need to change some of the settings) the noise was triggering the motion detection. So I turned down the sensitivity for those cameras till I can look into the settings on the box cameras.

Last night (in 10 hours) the system used over 18gb. I have the video source settings at NTSC_M and 320x240. I believe the compression is set at MPEG4 ASP. I was hoping to go with a higher resolution, but maybe I shouldn't. Are these settings what everyone else uses?

I am also thinking that there maybe some issues with two of my dome cameras at night. There wasn't too much visible noise or motion but the motion detection seemed to be recording very frequently even at the low sensitivity settings. I am a newbie with GeoVision but I didn't think it would use up 18 gig in 10 hours. I may have to disable motion detection on those cameras till I can get back to look into why it is sensing motion.

I guess in a summary with my long post. Are my settings set at where most of you set your settings?

Thanks!

Hi Tyman00,

Yes, some of the nioise at night might trigger the cameras to do the recording... You might try GeoVision vesion 8.2... In this version, we have something called " Noise Tolerance " function. This function is to reduce false alarms and unwanted recording casued by the noises...

The codec you got there is Geo MPEG 4 ASP... Please try the codec Geo H264 V2 in GeoVision version 8.2 ..if you are using VERSION lower than 8.2 you can try H264... H264 will provide users with smaller video size than Geo Mpag 4 ASP...

You might consider using night vision cameras instead.....

Any questions, please let me know...

Sincerely,

Andy Chen

Technical Support

GeoVision. Inc.

+886-2-8797-8377 ext 287

Thanks Andy. I will try upgrading when I am back this weekend. I will also try the format change. I noticed that it had smaller file sizes while cruising around here.

As far as night vision cameras. I think that would be a bit excessive for the area. It is in the entry of the business that gets quite a bit of light from the main sales area (security light is on 24/7). I really think it has something to do with the camera and not the night vision. I have two identical dome cameras installed in different areas and they both have noise (not much but some) when the lights in that area is off. However the box cameras in those areas don't trigger the motion detector with any noise.