Javik

Server motherboards, and GV-2008 overlay support?

I would like to build a dual GV-2008 system and I would like to do it using a rackmount server chassis from a mainstream supplier such as Dell or IBM or HP.

All these companies sell some Intel chipset motherboards, so I don't really need to worry about GV-2008 compatability.

However, my big concern is the video overlay support. There are a large number of annoying little catches that seem to make most servers useless for Geovision cards:

1. The onboard server video is usually very wimpy, and typically cannot do an advanced capability like overlay.

2. Server motherboards typically NEVER have ANY x16 PCI-Express slots. They do often have plenty of x8 slots however.

3. Video cards for PCI-Express x1 to x8 are practically nonexistent. Video cards are always x16 sized.

4. You can in fact plug an x16 into an x8 or smaller slot. Many desktop boards sport multiple x16 slots that are actually only electrically an x8 or x4

5a. Modifying an x8 server slot to remove the plastic on the "end" so the x16 edge connector could overhang and stick out in midair (like a PCI-64 in a 32-bit slot) will void the server warranty

5b. Modiftying an x16 video card by filing the edge connector down to x8 size would probably work, but will void the video card warranty and maybe the server warranty too

This all culminates in a massive ripping out of hair over trying to make the GV-2008 work in a server chassis.

I would really like to know what Geovision is doing to support overlay inside the machines they sell that are 3U server form-factor, but I don't feel like blowing $5000 to know what's in there.

How do I make overlay work in a server with only x8 slots?

-Dale

I built a few and tested many many different hardware setups, seems like they are very sensitive about what hardware too use, many parts used on GV-1480, GV-1240 and GV-2004/GV-2008 had trouble when it was a dual!

Had to spend a lot of time on figuring out what parts to use and then let it run to find out what was the issues, in fact had 3 issues on some of the first builds so that did take a lot of time to figure out. The Geovision support gave up!!!

In fact we got a specific list of hardware parts from them and it did not survive the testing.

Anyway, when you say Server Chassi, do you then think of a server motherboard with dual CPU or are you thinking of a 19" Rack cabinet?

In fact we will replace the dual GV-2008 very soon since the end user wants to add more cameras so we will install a new 32channel PC DVR instead.

I think if you search the forum I have posted something about the problems we had with GV-2008 cards, try to search for GV-2008 and see.

Good luck!

JD