Robocam

Upgrading Kalatel hard drive

I have seen very good deals on ebay for Kalatel dvr units with 80 gig hard drives. Any way to swap out the original hard drive for a 250 or 300 gig hard drive? Any programming necessary or do you just need to do an image copy to the new drive? (I know it voids warrently but I would just place the original drive back in for repair service). Any help on how to do this would be rewarded with pm. Thanks

Yes, you can just take it out and put a new one in. No copying is required of anything, HDD should be unformatted. Ofcourse you wont have the web server option (browser gui), nor quickwave on the HDD, but it will work none the less. It has to be a specific HDD though, I cant remember off hand, but just take the specs of the one that is in there, I think its a 7200, check the name brand, baracuda or something like that. Any HDD will probably work, better safe than sorry. I can check if you want as my friend has some digital photos we took of the HDDs, wont be until next week though. Why get the 80Gb, the 40GB is even cheaper

NOTE: I havent personally done this 'YET', but the Kalatel Tech Support told me that this can be done this way, but yes, it does void warranty.

Rory

If you cant use the web server option, it would be next to useless for me. Thanks for the feedback, but is there anyone out there who can tell me whether lets say an 80 gig hd unit can be upgraded to 250 or 300 gig unit by the user and have all the functionality of the original unit? thanks

Ok, lets try this, you cannot use the browser based web server which is crappy anyway as are almost all browser based, but you CAN use WaveReader to connect to the DVR over the internet, as that does not require a *web server*.

Rory

for example, I use this browser control I made myself, that can connect to any GE DVR right in the browser, and it has more features than the WaveBrowser that comes on the HDDs. I wrote this before they came out with WaveBrowser. This also works with single Channel DSRs with our without muxes.

ivue.jpg

or try it here: (just enter an IP or PM me for one to test)

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/ge/

as it is an activeX (as with WaveBrowser), must set activeX to prompt in security settings in IE.

Rory

So, would I be able to swap out a 7200 drive for a much larger unformatted 7200 one and still use the the wave reader software??? thanks this way i could pick up a 16 source unit with an 40 gig drive on the cheap and then throw in a 300 gig drive. Is there nothing on the hd when it is started up fresh from the factory? thanks

Yes, according to Kalatel tech support. The tech I had been corresponding with from over 3 years, said it need not be formatted, just plug and play.

The only thing they recently started putting on the HDDs a year (or so) ago (approx) is the WaveBrowser software, and the quickwave software for the StoreSafe. The onboard quickwave is for burning to CD/DVD using the DVRs software. Otherwise you can just do it over the LAN. The WaveBrowser part is just a simple server with the activeX Cab Files so you can connect to the DVR without your own web server (hosting company - which I only pay $10 a month for 350Gb and 50emails). to make it simpler, you can basically copy all the WaveBrowser files, and put them on your own server, and then it will work as mine does on my web server online. Its just an HTML page and an ActiveX Cab using Client Side VBScript.

So with a DVMRe-PRO or a StoreSafe the CD/DVD on board feature will not work, for the other DVRs it does not matter.

Unfortunately, havent found a way to connect to the DVRs using Java yet, dont know that it can be done.

All the DVRs Operating Software is on the EPROM using the Nucleus RTOS, not the HDD. It only saves Video to the HDD.

Rory

I am a little new to this so bear with me. I want to connect to my computer from other locations like my office or maybe when i am on vacation. if i upgraded the hard drive on my own would i still be able to do this?

I would also like to be able to connect to my home computer which will be networked with my kalatel 10 port dvr. Can i do this without loading any software onto the remote computer?

I am not quite sure i understand the difference between my own web server and just connecting to my computer from a remote location? thanks

Yes the hard drive does not affect the networking part of it using wavereader.

You can use a router and port forward IPs to the internal IPs of your DVR and PC which you would set manually using the range that the router assigns. Web sites have web servers installed on them, so you can connect to the folders and files on them, which are set up for sharing.

For more info on connecting to the computer remotely, best bet is to ask that question seperately, in the computers/networking area.

The DVR is simple, you enter the local IP info in the DVR, and then in the router you port forward the incoming port (kalatel is 1024) to that internal IP. So if for eg, using WaveReader, it hits the router then redirects to the DVR. If you dont need to connect another computer to the internet then the DVR just plugs into the cable/DSL modem and you enter your ISPs static IP in the DVR instead of an internal Router IP.

Static IP will mean your IP will never change so it will always work when you want to connect to it remotely. ISPs normally charge average $15-20 per month extra for a static IP.

All you need to get the DVR online is:

A - DVR only:

DVR, Cable/DSL modem, Static IP (optional - if not obtained, you would have to keep track of your ISP's IP which will change every so often)

B - DVR and PCs;

DVR, Cable/DSL modem, Static IP (same as above), and Router.

Rory

so....the only thing i would not be able to do if i upgraded to bigger hard drive is connect to a web server? With the upgrade, I should be able to access my dvr over my lan and access my dvr over the internet?

I dont think you answered one other question and that is can if my dvr is connected over my lan, would i be able to connect via the internet, lets say in cancun, to my dvr without using the wavereader or other proprietary software??? thanks

You can connect to the DVR from anywhere, the Ip information is stored in the EPROM. The web server is only to hold that WaveBrowser Info so the only thing you cant do is go to Internet Explorer and type the IP in directly. You will have to use the WaveReader or other Software to connect, or even the Broswer Control I wrote.

Another option is set up a server on your PC, and redirect to that, to the web page that holds the Cab File like what I wrote. That way you redirect the router to the PC server by default and it just loads the broser control and you enter the IP. Then you could goto Internet Explorer and type in a web site or your Static IP and it will direct the page to your PC and your PC's web servers default page loading the control.

another example is that you can copy the cab file to something like a free geocities web site:

http://www.geocities.com/ivuepro/

Then you can either get a Static IP from the ISP, or to save money, just remember the IP, if it changes though while you are away in cancun, it will no longer work.

Rory, the simplest method looks like that writing cab file to geocities web site and then just going to that site from a remote computer internet connection and putting in the ip.

Then i would not need any laptop or software at the remote location?

How do i create and write this cab file to geocities???? thanks for all the help. just looking for the easiest way to see my home from any connected internet site without the need for laptop. When I am away from home the most likely scenario is going to be ability to use the internet from provided computer.

Good day gents, having spent several years with Tecom / Interlogix / GE Interlogix there are a few things I can add here.

1. There is a specific manufacturer and model of hard drive that must be used. This detail can be easily obtained from GE.

2. The hdd model that will be specified is not 7200 RPM, but is 5400. There is a reason here - on-board power supply cannot reliably handle start-up in-rush current for 7200 rpm version causing continuous reboots.

3. There are different motherboard builds: provide the serial number and other information found on the stickers on the bottom of the dvr to your GE rep, with this information they can provide the largest size hdd possible for your device.

4. Using two hdd's: recommended that they both be the same size.

5. You will not have the WebBrowser software which is loaded onto the hdd via a GE proprietary software that cannot be released for quality control reasons. So this may be where you will have an issue as you will need the WaveReader program. You may find it difficult to locate the WaveBrowser files on the un-formatted hdd's as Rory suggests.

6. Regarding use of webservers and your home computer. This will certainly work. There are various available that will provide you with total remote control of your home pc. Google "IP KVM" to find Avocent, Cyclades, MiniCom, Lantronix, Rose manufacturers, you will require only a simple low-end device. (Note: We represent Rose, MiniCom & Lantronix in Australia). Depending on model you will get encryption, Radius and other authenication / security features designed to keep out unwanted hackers. High-end models are suitable for use in the most demanding applications.

So: wiith the webserver option you log on anywhere on the Internet to your fixed IP address (provided by your ISP), start IE, login and it is as if you are in front of your computer at home.

Options include capability to reboot pc and dvr if they are frozen.

Regards:

Dave

Sydney (heatwave) Australia

Correct, should be the same type they have in the current DVR, you will find that out when it arrives to you. If he can wait, I will check again this week coming I have a DVMRe and a StoreSafe on the shelf, or he can wait until he gets his unit. Not sure what GE's view is on this, they provided me with the info but this was after a couple years of corresponding. As for hard disk speed, havent looked at it in a while.

As for hard drive sizes, just check the PDF for the specific unit and it should have all that info, but if in doubt, yes contact tech support.

Ofcourse it will be dependent on the EPROM software what size HDD it can recognise, I imagine, so youll have to check on that, you could always just give tech support the software version and model type. In otherwords what exact model is it, and what year is it (recent), and better yet a EPROM software version.

Problem is, once you give them the serial number, they may tag that in their system id think, and not warranty it anymore?

You can use my browser software for free

I did have some more features to add to it like tools, admin, etc, which I have not yet had a chance to add to it, but otherwise it works, live, normal views, and plays back recorded or saved files. Its basically just an activeX version of my main windows software.

Rory

Dave some good info on the login also, will check that out. Always nice to see another GE DVR user Looks like you have done the HDD switch in the past? If so, was it easy enough, any issues?

Thanks

Rory

bigger picture ..

ivueproeg.jpg

Rory, I am still confused about the geocities thing. Could I just go to this Ip address below and then put it my ip into ivuepro and see me cameras? If not tell me the easiest way to view my cameras from other computers connected to the internet. When I go on vacation or to someone elses house, or at work I will have access to a computer with internet. I want to be able to view my cameras from these locations though they are not loaded with any software in particular. thanks for the help, you have been great.

http://www.geocities.com/ivuepro/

Hey, you can use that web page, for example, and enter any IP for any GE Kalatel DVR, and it will work, once the local set up is correct like we mentioned before, eg, static IP, etc.

In other words, forget the router for right now, say you have a Kalatel DVR, you go into the menu section, enter an ISP static IP, and other info they give you. (Subnet Mask, gateway). Then connect your Cable/DSL modem, reboot everything, then you should be able to just enter the ISP static IP from anywhere in the world, in that text box, or in WaveReader, and click connect, and you will see your video.

The iVue is just a software like WaveReader, but simpler. Enter the IP and click connect, voila. Did you test the IP I emailed you? It is just a Cab file, it can be copied to any web site and using the sample HTML, you can utilise the Cab File, from any web server. Your geocities name would be different, depending on what you call it. I can help with that. Test the link I posted with the IP i PMed you.

Rory

tested the ip and it worked. could not do the normal mode because someone else connected. what is a cab file? Can you give me some detail on how i could set up a geocities account and write the cab file so that I can go there and view my cameras from any computer? This way I would not have to have a laptop or software at the location.....seems much simpler to me for quick views of my property. thanks Rory, you have been most helpful.....I must say I am more of a Carribean person than a cold and frigid Nebraska one......I love vacationing in cancun every year...the Bahamas sounds just like heaven.....btw what do you do for a living and how long have you been there??? thanks

tested the ip and it worked. could not do the normal mode because someone else connected. what is a cab file? Can you give me some detail on how i could set up a geocities account and write the cab file so that I can go there and view my cameras from any computer? This way I would not have to have a laptop or software at the location.....seems much simpler to me for quick views of my property. thanks Rory, you have been most helpful.....I must say I am more of a Carribean person than a cold and frigid Nebraska one......I love vacationing in cancun every year...the Bahamas sounds just like heaven.....btw what do you do for a living and how long have you been there??? thanks

A cab file is simply, a copressed file, in this case it is an example of a VB Program in 1 file.. To set up a goecitities acount, that is simple too, just set up an account, the rest I can assist you with.

Heaven is all good, but it is not where I live! The outislands are sweet though, but there is no work there. I live on the ocean by the way...but we have our problems, more than I can tell you.

Normal mode will only work once noone else is connected in normal mode.

Rory

PS. Im looking for work in the USA