osmanm

Camera question from someone who doesn't know much

Hello everyone, i'm new, this is my first post.

I relaize how technical this CCTV can get, my question is fairly simple so please bare with me.

I don't know mucha bout CCTV camera's but here's the problem.

My condo building recently had one of its cameras in the main entrance (our lobby) go out.. I'm the guy who sets up most of their computers and other things anyways. I was approached to have a look at what this camera can be replaced with.

So the current camera that was in the lobby is about 15 years old. it is a Sony SPT M104A B/W camera.

I was hoping to put in a color camera, as it would give a better picture (i think). Now the question is what kinds of cameras should i be looking at? we dont need something too expensive, but something that can get the job done.

The lobby does get bright in the day due to the sun, and when it gets dark we have lobby lights (this is indoors) So i am assuming we don;t need one of those auto switching Day/Night cameras am i correct?

Would a color camera do the job? And if so what kinds of cams should i ne looking at.

Our setup used a DVR secuirty pc, it is running kodicom software i think, the cameras all take 24AC, and are connected via BNC.

Lastly after i decide on a camera, how does one go about choosing a lens? the current lens on this old camera sas 1:1.4 CS.. is it possible to stay with the same type of lens?

Thanks for the time guys

with the sun you need to go with a camera that has wdr - wide dynamic range to compensate for the bright light coming in the window and the indoor light.. go with a 4-8mm varifocal lens and look into panasonic - i think they make the best cams for this application but they arent going to be less than 300bucks..wvcp484 i think is the part on the one i go with

ganz/computar also makes a decent wdr camera that is a bit cheaper

my2cents

pg

I'd agree with the idea of getting a WDR camera if you're going to be pointing the camera towards the door. If you're looking at inexpensive look at the WDR2500's which is a Pixim chipset and is WDR. You could pick it up with a lens for prolly around $230-$260 bucks I'd say.

But either the above model or the Panasonic would work great for your application.

Goodluck,

John

Before you spend your money on a WDR camera. Were you happy with the pictures from the camera that failed? If so I don't think WDR is necessary. Todays colour cameras are going to be as good if not better than a ten year old mono camera for WDR. By all means spend the extra money if you want but do you need to.

You should be able to reuse your old lens. You have to make sure the camera you fit has the same size imager as the one you take out or you'll get a different field of view (most likely 1/3") and your new camera has to take a CS mount lens (very common).

If you change from a mono to a colour you will probably lose sensitivity, even a ten year old mono will beat a modern colour (low cost one anyway). So be aware that your night time images may not be as good but it sounds well lit so I hope it won't be an issue.

In which case I'd suggest you go for any middle of the road 1/3" high resolution colour camera. It should take the lens, power, video and bracket you already have and fit in a matter of minutes.

Thanks for the informative posts guys..

I actaully had a look at that Panny model the 484. it was about 500 without lens here in canada.

The current camera we had, was decent, i mean you could see whats going on in the lobby, but if you wanted to identify anyone good luck.. it was pretty blurred and fuzzy.

Now if i understand from your posts WDR provides light compensation.. What is the specific differnece between that and Backlight compensation? I've seen that most color cames have Backlight comp.

Also since i would lose sensativity with a color cam, should i be looking at day/night cams?

i'd preferably like it in the 30o give or take here and there.

Do you guys have any recommendations for cctv stores on the net with competitive pricing and good service?

i'm going to look into the WDR2500 right now, for around 300 with a lens it seems enticing..

Thanks guys

just a side note: John, are you the affliated with cctvimports? just asking.. i was browsing it right now..

The current camera we had, was decent, i mean you could see whats going on in the lobby, but if you wanted to identify anyone good luck.. it was pretty blurred and fuzzy.

The poor picture from the old camera could be because it hadn't been touched in ten years. A ten year old HR mono camera will have a higher resolution than a colour camera today. When you fit your new camera and it looks better it will be because you've just adjusted it, not because it is a better camera.

Now if i understand from your posts WDR provides light compensation.. What is the specific differnece between that and Backlight compensation? I've seen that most color cames have Backlight comp.

Backlight compensation (BLC) is a feature that was developed because CCD cameras have a small dynamic range. BLC does not increase dynamic range, it just allows us to use the small range we have better whereas WDR is a camera with better dynamic range so it shouldn't need BLC.

WDR is closer to how we see, BLC tries to guess what we want to see and expose that correctly but it will expose other bits incorrectly as a consequence.

Also since i would lose sensativity with a color cam, should i be looking at day/night cams?

Can't say. Depends on the light on the scene. From your previous post you will probably be ok. But this is where experience pays.

WDR are nice, but for the price I expected a much better picture, because Panasonic sure DOESN'T discount much, even at the wholesale level. I went back to the Sony Exview chip cameras. Cheaper, easier to get and consistently good pictures. In an area with moderately good night lighting they have worked well for my customers and the dual voltage feature has saved me a lot of work. Hope this helps

WDR are nice, but for the price I expected a much better picture, because Panasonic sure DOESN'T discount much, even at the wholesale level. I went back to the Sony Exview chip cameras. Cheaper, easier to get and consistently good pictures. In an area with moderately good night lighting they have worked well for my customers and the dual voltage feature has saved me a lot of work. Hope this helps

which brand with the exview are you using?

Thanks, Rory

This is more help than i could have asked for, thank yu everyone..

going through the above posts I think i will stick with the black and white camera, If they will end up providing a crisper clearer image, then that's all i am looking for. I also checked with the hospital that i work at, and they told me they run black and whit cameras in the main lobbies there as well..

So it looks like i'll go B/W the old camera had a 400 line resolution, i think for the new cam id like to go 500 or 570 i think most are 570 lines coreect?

not sure how to find the best B/W camera though, what should i look for aside from the resolution, what is the best CCD technology type to buy? I was trying to look into this Exview that was posted above, is this the latest from sony?

I've come across two cameras, that i am checking out

Sony SSCM383 exwave

and the Elmo TEB4404 exview

Spec wise they look about the same, except that one uses exwave, and the other uses exview, would there be a diff in quality by much?

what other recomendations do you guy have for a 500+ line B/W camera.

thanks again guys, b/w it is FINAL!

Sorry Rory, didn't read my posts. I am using the factory Sony cams, bought too many "clones" that had bogus Exview chips in them. Don't get me wrong, I love all things Panasonic, for reliability and consistency you can't beat Panasonic (I have Panasonic on my own HOME system). It's just that I have a tough time justifying the price on a multi-cam system and can save them a ton using the Sony chip cams and the resolution is always good.

383 ExWave is nice, but it's got that weird built in lens, but good picture. Speco works well too. Are you sure you don't want to do color ? If you work with it and can be flexible on the lighting you can get some good pictures during the day...Just a thought.

well from what i have heard so far, it seems b/w is the better way to go..

The entrance that i would put the camer in has it's own lighting of course, plus the variying light from the sun through the day (lobby faces north though)

Whats this thing about a built in lens in the 383? I was under the impression it has no lens on it... does that mean i dont have to buy another lens?

Another question the current lens on the old camera was 1:1.4 4mm lens, it has a cable going from the lens to the camera, and has one adjustment dial that says near and far (you can rotate this on the lens)

So i am guessing this is an auto iris 4mm fixed lens camera correct? Auto iris becasue of the cable, and because of the bulge on the side of the actual lens.

How can i tell if this lens is still good? and would you recommend installing the old lens on a new camera?

Also if anyone is from canada, where do you guys buy your cams. I'm having a hell of a time finding canadian stores for cameras.

One final question guys

IF i go with the Sony SSCM383

will the following lens work with this camera? i think it will but id like to double check.

and will this lens give me the same angle as the old lens? i know its vari focal so i can adjust the angles but as long as i can still get the original angle that would be good to know..

aartech.ca/product_info.php/products_id/779/LENS38AI.html

i apologize for posting the link, i do not mean to spam, or endorse a company. please remove if you feel it is not needed.

thanks again guys

Dear ,

You can use the common IR products is ok, Cause you have light in the night. And you can buy the bracket to mount it , it is cheap. And do not need change the electronic cable circule.

David