rdawg

sensormatic speedome grounding strap???

i saw some info about when removing the unicard board from a sensormatic sopeedome that i should use a grounding strap??

What is this grounding strap they are talking about? Can i make one? I don't see anything resembling one attached to the camera? Do i really need one??

When dealing with circuit boards it is always wise to use a grounding strap. They can be found on newegg for about $5 IIRC, or your local radio shack or computer supply store will carry them.

That said, I have never used them. I just make sure to touch the power supply, a light switchplate cover, or other metal surface to discharge any static electricity I have accumulated. This has worked well for me, except for one time when I was plugging/unplugging hard drives with the PC on... that killed the hard drive quick.

Don't move your feet on the carpet, and when in doubt, keep "grounding" / discharging yourself.

Oh, and on the uniboard, just remember which motor wire goes where, since there are three of them IIRC. The other three connectors you can't mess up cause they are too short to go anywhere else.