si_kungs

need some information regarding wireless ip camera

I have a client who has a new house. the only option is to use wireless ip camera because the new house has no provisions for cabling. i need some information regarding ip cameras. how far the signal will go? is it secured? how many wireless camera can the wifi router handle and still give good video ?

This is a complicated question.

The biggest issue with wifi is barriers like walls and trees. If your camera is on the other side of a wall or there are trees between the camera and the recorder/viewing PC, you are likely to have an issue.

So let's start there - how many walls and how many trees?

for trees there will be no issue since i will put cameras on the perimeter. for the walls I am not sure. how many walls can it penetrate?

How many walls a wifi system can go through is a function of the the frequency of the signal and the amplifcation of the antennas.

1. Use lower frequency signals to go through more walls (900 Mhz best, 2400 Mhz next, 5400 Mhz worst).

2. Use hi-gain antennas. Off the shelf residential wifi equipment has little or no gain antennas. Computer stores often sell higher gain antennas (6dbi, 12dbi, etc). You can get up to 20 something dbi at speciality supliers.

With high gain antennas and low frequencies you should be able to go through a few walls (depending on how thick and dense the walls are).

Definitely be careful here. I have seen many integrators struggle with getting the system optimized. Even though the wifi system may be rated for 54 Mb/s, your throughput may wind up to be something like 2 or 3 Mb/s leaving not much room for error or multiple cameras.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

John

so for the frequency i think we would use 2.4GHz since the wifi router are on this frequency.

i saw router with three antenna , will this improve the range and speed?

how many cameras can you simultaneously connect without choking the router?

thanks,

Stephen

Check these guys out..... http://www.engeniustech.com/datacom/products/

I have 2 of the EOC-3610S-EXT in client bridge mode. I had no porblem sending 4 Axis 211a camera at 680 * 480 @ 30fps from my basement to my 2nd floor with no problem. Also I set them up in two buildings about 150 yards apart with the access point just setting on desks. A camera on one end and my NVR on the other no problems at 30 fps. These are nice products at a great price.

Also checkout the Zyxel 2WG very powerful wireless router.